Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

Clouds kill FPS in 2.5

I found that ASN is a major culprit when it comes to sudden drops in FPS, and I'm almost convinced it's to do with with the way it runs sim connect/AS connect. I can start a session in heavy cloud with good FPS, but after 15-20 minutes, with no apparent changes to cloud density, i'll get sudden drops in FPS. I have saved such flights, stopped ASN, and then flew those saved flights literally for hours without those FPS whacks (other scenery-related FPS issues notwithstanding). So what gives?

Then I accidentally stumbled across a "workaround". One day I was scud running a C185 in the ORBX PFJ, nil wind, but getting hammered by turbulence at the same time as getting the stutters and low FPS. Totally unrealistic as far as turbulence, so went into the ASN settings and changed the turbulence effects scale down from the default 70 to 50. The result was no turbulence, and FPS back to what I started with. I thought ... wow! Then 15 minutes later low FPS again ... well there went my theory. But I went into ASN config anyway and reduced the turbulence effects scale again. And bingo, good FPS again. Rinsed and repeated every 15-20 minutes until I ended up at 0. Now what? Well, nothing to loose, so increased the scale. Result: good FPS restored again for a while.

I've since found that changing a config settings in ASN slightly, and forcing it to update P3D will lead to a (temporary) restoration of FPS to values that one ought to expect. Not all settings mind you, but the ones asking you if you want the changes to take effect right away, like the turbulence effect scale. I used to be "afraid" of running into cloud, but since using this workaround I've maxed cloud settings in both P3D and ASN. It's still a nuisance having to do this, especially when it happens in the middle of an approach, but at least it makes flying in weather flyable.

I'd be interested to hear if others can reproduce this. Also, I've never used Opus, but I'd guess it has a similar way of talking to the sim. Not sure whether the weather engines are the culprit, or whether it's P3D, but I still have hope that together they'll fix it one day...

I found that ASN is a major culprit when it comes to sudden drops in FPS, and I'm almost convinced it's to do with with the way it runs sim connect/AS connect. I can start a session in heavy cloud with good FPS, but after 15-20 minutes, with no apparent changes to cloud density, i'll get sudden drops in FPS. I have saved such flights, stopped ASN, and then flew those saved flights literally for hours without those FPS whacks (other scenery-related FPS issues notwithstanding). So what gives?

Then I accidentally stumbled across a "workaround". One day I was scud running a C185 in the ORBX PFJ, nil wind, but getting hammered by turbulence at the same time as getting the stutters and low FPS. Totally unrealistic as far as turbulence, so went into the ASN settings and changed the turbulence effects scale down from the default 70 to 50. The result was no turbulence, and FPS back to what I started with. I thought ... wow! Then 15 minutes later low FPS again ... well there went my theory. But I went into ASN config anyway and reduced the turbulence effects scale again. And bingo, good FPS again. Rinsed and repeated every 15-20 minutes until I ended up at 0. Now what? Well, nothing to loose, so increased the scale. Result: good FPS restored again for a while.

I've since found that changing a config settings in ASN slightly, and forcing it to update P3D will lead to a (temporary) restoration of FPS to values that one ought to expect. Not all settings mind you, but the ones asking you if you want the changes to take effect right away, like the turbulence effect scale. I used to be "afraid" of running into cloud, but since using this workaround I've maxed cloud settings in both P3D and ASN. It's still a nuisance having to do this, especially when it happens in the middle of an approach, but at least it makes flying in weather flyable.

I'd be interested to hear if others can reproduce this. Also, I've never used Opus, but I'd guess it has a similar way of talking to the sim. Not sure whether the weather engines are the culprit, or whether it's P3D, but I still have hope that together they'll fix it one day...

I cannot say I've tried the workaround but I can report that Active Sky NEXT is the ONLY app that the program Process Lasso complains about.    I usually have Process Lasso running in monitor mode when I fly so I can see how smooth the CPU's are working and if a process starts to get out of hand Process Lasso will report on it and show it as a gold strip running down the monitor to time stamp when the event occurred.    ASN has to be restrained several times on a 2 hour flight for me.    Now I don't personally see a loss of performance when this happens but it may be one of the reasons why people running an unbalanced P3D may experience this performance drop when ASN is running full bore.   I have no clue why it has to be restrained but it does.   I don't think I have flown into really bad weather yet when ASN gets restrained so that may be why I have not seen a performance hit yet.  

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

For me it is usually a combination of factors. I don't use SGSS, I only use 4x MSAA + 2.25 DSR.

Also if I use cloud and terrain shadows + major clouds like Thunderstorm, my GTX980 will crumble.

This sounds very much alike what I'm experiencing. Will test for sure!

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

If I am correct DSR does not work with a 3 monitor setup in NV Surround.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Changing ASN setting forces ASN to reload weather which you can do in the Tools/Debug window.

You might want to open a ticket at support.hifitechinc.com - they maybe able to find out why your system is affected this way.

I have never seen this behavior in ASN. I have my weather updates at 5 minutes.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If I am correct DSR does not work with a 3 monitor setup in NV Surround.

It does... I use a resolution of 5980 x 1080 with 3 24" monitors nvidia surround and very happy with DSR & performance

Mmmm... it does not appear in the NV Control panel here when I enable NV Surround....

Only when I disable it.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Ah thought you meant HDR in game, sorry! bit of a skim reading moment... yeah DSR doesnt work with surround atm if you check nvidia forums they say its in the future plan but no eta.