Sign in to follow this  
denali

New Driver, 350.12, (no foolin')

Maybe there's more of a chance of Crossfire working properly with P3d than nVidia ever coming up with a viable SLI profile.

Nothing has ever bettered the 344.16's for me in my GTX970.

Maybe there's more of a chance of Crossfire working properly with P3d than nVidia ever coming up with a viable SLI profile.

Who knows, but I'll find out.

LM have indicated to me very recently they are still indeed working with nVidia ... no more information than that so don't ask :)

If it does happen, great, I can always swap the GPUs back and forth between my PCs.

Cheers, Rob.

No chance at all I'd say Rob. Crossfire only works with exclusive full screen mode apparently...

KR

Simon

I moved from AMD to Nvidia. The last release of AMD drivers improved the performance for me compared to what they were. I have three observations. 1. Graphically it was better with AMD. 2. Performamce was ok but I'm not comparing apples to apples. 3. Eyefinity compared with Nvidia Surround is easier to use. I could switch from Eyefinity to three independent screens at the touch of a button as you could set up profiles. I've not discovered yet if Nvidia can do this so it is a chore.

Crossfire only works with exclusive full screen mode apparently...

But what if the 390X is good enough such that I don't need Crossfire?  What if this 390X is able to work crossfire in Window mode?  What if I get better AA?  And what if AMD doesn't break the P3D PAPI lights on every other release?  AMD are also suggesting better DX12 peformance (by a considerable margin) than nVidia.

Lots of what if's, just have to see, I don't mind spending the cash on the experiment.  But the 390X isn't on sale yet, so just have to keep an eye out for it.

Cheers, Rob.

All good points. I've had AMD (ATI) cards for the last 18 years since I started building my own machines, but never an nVidia card, so it has to be said I am rooting for the red (or green and black, depending which logo you're looking at) team here!

Simon

Be very interesting to find out.

Nearly went for a 290 but in the end went gtx 970 this was my first nvidia in about 6 years. My feeling is amd cards have always been strong and I ran 3 screens with eyefinty on various cards for ages. There is definitely a lot of people in the flight sim community who believe the myth that it has to be nvidia or nothing. I remember reading threads with people screaming about ni and half refresh and poor aa and I was just flying thinking, what is all the fuss about?!

Very tempted to go back if it is a strong performer.

Chris

More news on the red-green video card wars:

haha ... but that spoiler isn't going to produce much downforce :)

... but I think my major issue is not entirely performance, it's do the drivers work with P3D and will they continue to work with P3D as they get updated.  Obviously nVidia does NOT have the necessary checks and balances in place to ensure they don't break functionality they've fixed in earlier drivers ... this is perhaps my real and more worrying concern with nVidia.

I know AMD is not perfect either, but when I was using AMD cards (a few years ago), once AMD did eventually fix an issue it usually stayed "fixed" ... so AMD appear to have the necessary checks and balances in place.

If you believe the AMD 390X performance numbers (wait and see for sure) then it's 2X performance improvement over the 980 at close to the same price point.  I don't know what nVidia could do to the 980 Ti to give it a 2X performance boost ... I'm skeptical that can be accomplished.

Cheers, Rob.

Most of the leaked specs on the 390X show it to be significantly faster than the Titan X. The GTX 980 Ti will probably be in the same range as the Titan X, maybe a little faster if nVidia's partners change the cooling and OCing. I think the point is that nVidia just wants to be disruptive and spoil AMD's plans. Then again the leaked 390X spec's could be wrong also.  The 390X was originally thought to be a 20 nm die GPU, but I doubt that AMD can do something that nVidia can't do. There just isn't any available FAB capacity for either company, given that the standalone video card market is so tiny when compared to cell phone silicon fabrication.

So what in everyones opinion is the best all around driver  version to use if you have an NVIDEA card?

I'm using 347.88 as it works well with P3D v2.5, but if you're into recent games like GTA V you'll want to use 350.12.

Patiently waiting to test out the AMD 390X.

Cheers, Rob.

I bought a GTX 970 using the oft stated advantage of these cards for flight simming. This after many happy years running flawless multimonitor FSX., xplane and any number of games using AMD and eyefinity . With Nvidia surround , my middle screen of three , on the display port always fails to switch on at cold start. It needs a restart to fire up. . I found It harder to setup nvidia multi monitor vs eyefinity .These are minor quibbles with multi monitor nvidia setup which I can overlook if the performance is there. But, I'd be pleased if someone found an advantage to AMD cards in P3d coz I'd be happy to buy one .