Sign in to follow this  
Angelo Cosma

DSR Woes, Non-Native resolutions off by 1

Hey guys, I have been using DSR for a while now and I really see its benefit and how clean it can make everything even outside of FSX in other games. 

Prior my DSR factors were 2, 3, 4x. I primarily used 2x. My monitor is 1920X1080 16:9 aspect. So at 2x my in-game resolution was 3840X2160. This was great and I was a happy guy.

I am using an EVGA 780gtx 4gb card. I noticed the problem say a month or so ago, with drivers from 12/14, and now I am using the very latest (GTA5) drivers. 

My Non-Native DSR resolutions are all off by 1 pixel (Either selecting in-game resolution, or in windows desktop environment) Everything 1920X1080 and DOWN is fine, 1920X1080 and higher is off by 1. So I have 3841X2161 and this is strange, I have never seen this before and have no clue where to troubleshoot. 

I called EVGA and they said I would have to troubleshoot with Nvidia, he wasn't too sure what would cause that. Nvidia said they are looking into it.

Anybody here can offer some advice, perhaps you have seen this before?

Angelo 

My limited experience with DSR hasn't been good, you say it can make games "clean" but to me it has the opposite effect and reduces sharpness, whilst you can adjust sharpness at driver level this seems to be pretty hit and miss. Have you played around with NVidiaInspector at all? I get much better results with this application as it allows fine tuning of filtering on a per application basis using the inbuilt profiles, it may be worthwhile considering as an alternative if DSR is causing you problems.

DSR for me, eliminates the need for 2 or 4xSGSS or no AA at all since the res is so high. Everything is super crisp and sharp on my end.

You may need to look at DSR smoothness. 

No I don't need to look any further into DSR thanks, I am more than happy with running SGSS possibly because I am running at a higher native resolution than your 1080p. I was just suggesting that if DSR is being problematic for you there was a viable alternative.

So at 2x my in-game resolution was 3840X2160. This was great and I was a happy guy.

I'm a bit confused.

3840X2160 is the x4 resolution.

gb.

So I have 3841X2161 and this is strange

Does this affect the picture quality at all?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I'm a bit confused.

3840X2160 is the x4 resolution.

gb.

Does this affect the picture quality at all?

gb.

What I did was multiply 1920*2 and got 3840, 1080*2 and got 2160. I thought this was 2 times?

I doesn't affect picture quality, but a very bit of the image lower corners disappear into the monitor bezel, when I should be seeing them. 

What I did was multiply 1920*2 and got 3840, 1080*2 and got 2160. I thought this was 2 times?

I doesn't affect picture quality, but a very bit of the image lower corners disappear into the monitor bezel, when I should be seeing them. 

No they calculate it on the total number of on-screen pixels not the linear edge count.

So:

3840x2160=8294400

1920x1080=2073600 X4DSR=8294400

Why don't you try the generic Nvidia driver instead of the EVGA one?

Specifically 347.88

gb

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I did get the driver, through GeForce experience, I believe they are from Nvidia direct.

Well the latest is 350.12 so you probably have that.

I can only suggest trying older drivers until you get one that works.

gb.

So I unchecked 4x and saw the 3x resolution was the odd number which makes sense since its multiplied by 3, after re-enabling 4x BAM the correct even numbered res showed up and we are in business. 

Graphics card is using ~ 3000mb of VRAM but over 4000 avail so we are in great shape!

Thanks for your help.

Angelo

So I unchecked 4x and saw the 3x resolution was the odd number which makes sense since its multiplied by 3, after re-enabling 4x BAM the correct even numbered res showed up and we are in business. 

Graphics card is using ~ 3000mb of VRAM but over 4000 avail so we are in great shape!

Thanks for your help.

Angelo

Ok, glad you got it back to normal.

gb.