Sign in to follow this  
dunix

CH Eclipse Yoke loses Roll Axis Calibration settings during flight

Hi to all,

I am momentarily very frustrated and need help.

I fly in X-plane 10 and use a CH Eclipse Yoke for roll /pitch axis as well as Saitek Rudder Pedals for the yaw axis. The yoke is calibrated via the CH manager software 4.55.

Then suddenly while running X-plane the calibration setting for the roll axis is lost. The airplane rolls to the left. This can be verified in the CH manager software calibration settings.

Short example: take off in PAJN with normal yoke calibration settings. Autopilot with direction PAKT. Autopilot disconnect and then suddenly the calibration setting for the roll axis is lost and the aircraft banks. This results in calibrating the yoke during flight.

I tried the advice to unplug the USB before starting  Win7 64Bit but this did not help.

Is this a Win7 64Bit Problem, an X-Plane 10 issue or is the Yoke defect.

Can anybody help me here?

Best regards Frank

If I were you I would not use the CH software but rely upon Windows and X-Plane to manage your yoke. Try uninstalling it as a test and calibrate your yoke in X-Plane.

If you still get issues after that I would start suspecting your yoke. I had a CH yoke once; it lasted a few years then the aileron axis started playing up, banking sharply to the left. It was the hardware unfortunately through usage. The way to test that (once you've uninstalled the CH manager) is to check the calibration in Windows 7 control panel, game controllers, properties. Move the yoke around for a few minutes and watch the behaviour - if you see the aileron axis doing strange things then I would look to your hardware.

@deetee is exactly right.  There is no need for CH Control Manager because XP has all the assignments you'll need built in.  When you run CH Control Manager, you put another layer of control between the yoke and XP.  Uninstall CH Control Manager and you'll have no trouble.  I run both XP and FSX that way.  CH Control Manager hasn't been on my computer in years.

I prefer using the CH control manager because I have a few scripts that run through it.

The problem with an axis doing what you describe comes from the fact that CH uses solderless connections to the pots involved.  If these connections are not solid you'll get some random readings from them.  I have the same problem with the elevator axis on both of my CH yokes.

You can fix it yourself by taking the yoke apart (only if it's no longer under warranty!) and unplugging the connectors to that pot and plugging them back in, then crimping them a bit with pliers so they remain solidly connected.  Or take the easier way that's always worked for me:  give the yoke base a good whack.  That's right, percussive maintenance.  Every time I start a session I drop the yoke the last half inch onto the desk and have never had the problem since.  The only time it messes up is if I forget to drop it.

If the yoke is still under warranty, complain to CH.  They'll probably try to sell you a new pot... that's why the connections are solderless.  It's cheap but probably unnecessary.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I can't imagine what scripts would be of any additional use in XP, but if it works for you, great.  CH Control Manager was a headache for me in both FSX and XP until I removed it.  Never had a problem since, no problems with spikes from pots, no problems of any kind.

And I'd warn anyone taking a CH yoke apart to be very careful.  I had an older CH yoke (before my Eclipse) that had a spring come off and I fixed that, but it was a bit hairy getting things to go back together.

Mind sharing the scripts and their functions, Larry?

Is the Roll Axis still non functional, or is everything fine in the beginning, then the Roll Axis goes out?

If you move the Yoke and the Roll axis is still not working, then it could be the plastic shaft connecting the Potentiometer to the Yoke... from time to time, that shaft can disconnect from the Pot, rendering the Roll Axis non functional.

Like others have said... you can take the Yoke apart and check all of the plastic connections. If your Yoke is more than a year old, then go for it. If not, send it back for Warranty Repair.

:smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Then suddenly while running X-plane the calibration setting for the roll axis is lost.

He's able to take off and fly a bit, then the axis gets messed up. 

I've had my axis messed up when I first get into the sim, and after a few minutes, and sometimes after an hour or more. 

When I got a new yoke and IT started to have the same problem, I took apart the old one I had to see what was going on.  It was pretty obvious that the pot wires were a bit loose.  I've also had the "throttle wheel" on a CH joystick do the same thing and returned it to Amazon for replacement... this was before I knew what the problem was.

Mind sharing the scripts and their functions, Larry?

The script I'm currently using will "dejitter" the throttle/prop/mixture axis.  Getting everything right to set it up isn't straightforward, and I'm not sure I could explain it properly here.  It requires some setup in the configuration manager as well.  It looks like this:

// CMS Script File
//
//     Game Title: FSX
//     Written By: Hook
//

%define temp a8
%define limit 1

script

if ( firstscan ) then
    a3 = js1.a3;
    a4 = js1.a4;
    a5 = js1.a5;
  endif

temp = js1.a3;
  if ( [ temp > a3+limit ] OR [ temp < a3 ] ) then
    a3 = temp;
  endif
  cms.a3 = a3;

temp = js1.a4;
  if ( [ temp > a4+limit ] OR [ temp < a4 ] ) then
    a4 = temp;
  endif
  cms.a4 = a4;

temp = js1.a5;
  if ( [ temp > a5+limit ] OR [ temp < a5 ] ) then
    a5 = temp;
  endif
  cms.a5 = a5;

endScript

Larry Hookins

One of the things that I always do as part of my pre-flight check is to calibrate my controllers.  It takes about 30 seconds.  The center points sometimes get "stuck" in the last position (especially rudder and elevator centers) with XP was shut down on a previous flight.  On occasion, from a cold start, my computer will not recognize the USB port for my CH Pro pedals.  That has happened on more than one of my computers including my new one so it's a function of either Windows or the pedals themselves.  A simple unplug/plugin initializes them and I then I calibrate them within XP.  Never, ever had a problem doing it that way after hundreds of flights.

Thanks for the script, Larry.  I think I'll pass on that one - don't need it.

Interesting... in the 3+ years I've had my Eclipse it's never 'disconnected' from the Sim mid flight. I just use the Default Windows Settings and Calibration; no CH Control Manager.

My issues have always been mechanical in nature; the aforementioned slipping of the Roll axis shaft (pin, actually) off the Potentiometer, and breaking the tabs that hold the Springs in place. I fixed that by replacing the springs with short lengths of Surgical tubing, and attached them directly to the Yoke where the Springs used to be.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I think I'll pass on that one - don't need it.

It may be that XP already adds a smoothing function to those controls.  It seemed like MS Flight did as well, but FSX/P3D do not.  Therefore I *usually* use the script.  If I'm not using the script, I don't even load the Control Manager.

I almost never calibrate my controls.  But the first thing I do upon entering an aircraft is move the controls back and forth and check the deflection on the controls in the cockpit.  I doubt I have to recalibrate more than every 6 months.  But sometimes I have to drop the yoke on the desk a second time.  :)

Hook

Larry Hookins

Before I uninstalled CH Control Manager, I had similar problems with in-flight erratic behavior.  I would begin and everything worked just fine.  Sometime during the flight, for some reason, it seemed that XP lost "contact" with the settings and the controls became strange - sometimes changing the center position of pitch or yaw, sometimes throttle position seemed to have a mind of its own.  I used FSUIPC in FSX to try to create individual settings for each aircraft and that didn't work.  Finally, I found a post - many years ago - about removing CH Control Manager, and it worked for me.  I don't think my problem was one of erratic pots, it was a matter of having too many layers of control fighting each other for control of my controls.  I uninstalled CH Control Manager and haven't used it in years for either FSX or XP.

Hi,

I uninstalled the CH control manager and it works fine. Haven't had trouble since then.

Thank you all.

Frank