Sign in to follow this  
Mudhendriver

What is the best ENB series for FSX?

I've used SweetFX and ENB in the past and it was somewhat of a mixed bag (day/night tradeoffs)...I was curious if there are any recent (2014-15) updates and setting recommendations available?  Is it possible to get sunlight rendering or dynamic shadowing in the cockpit--similar to P3D 2.4--within FSX through the use of ENB?

Thanks in advance.

Rich Perry

dynamic shadowing in the cockpit

Sounds more like you should take a look at DX10 in general and Steve's Fixer specifically.

As for ENB settings under DX9, REX' Natural ENBPlus looked great. You can find it in their forums. I think you need to be registered though.

Copy....what do you alter in fsx.cfg when migrating to DX10 from DX9, if anything?

I assume I simply click on DX10 in FSX...then run Steve's fixer?  Do I need to alter Nvidia Inspector settings?

Thanks for the vector.

Before you buy Steve's Fixer (highly recommended) you should fly around in the DX10 preview mode for a while just to make sure that it works with your graphics card and you get reasonable performance - most people see an improvement over DX9. Ignore any graphics glitches you may see, Steve's Fixer sorts out about 99% of them. I have yet to see a graphics problem whilst using DX10 with the Fixer. As to what you need to change, take a look at http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=downloads&f_sort=fixer which has the "DX10 Fixer - How To Guide" which is a must-read. DX10 runs better on my old system (with only a GTX 275 graphics card!) than DX9 did. I have my framerate locked at 30 FPS and I rarely see less than 20 even at complex airports - most of the time it sits around 29/30 FPS. My favourite part is probably the VC shadows which seem to have little effect on framerates. To easily get DX10 cockpit shadows in any aircraft (it should work for FS9 legacy aircraft) see https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2014/10/23/new-fsx-setting-forcevcshadowmap/ - it's Steve's own site and has a lot of interesting info about DX10 in FSX.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Adding to what vortex said, DX10 really is a treat for the old FSX and Steve's Fixer makes it pretty easy to lets say upgrade.

Once you are running DX10, you cannot use ENB anymore but I think there are other post-processing methods to allow for that sort of adjustment. So you don't lose much while gaining the DX10 benefits and still staying compatible to most, if not all, the FSX software out there.

Means no extra costs and legal concerns. The only initial downside might be the highly recommended reading of the guides to smoothly transition. Since vortex pointed out those already, you should be safe. :smile:

I run SweetFX with DX10+Steve's Fixer and FSX-SE and love it, but it (SweetFX) doesn't like any form of overlay, and will crash FSX if you run, for example, a frame rate counter on top of the 3D.

With SweetFX you have control over a number of graphic variables, such as 'saturation' and bloom, and the colour enhancement is delightful.

Phil

I'm running ENB in FSX and SweetFX in P3D. I much prefer ENB as it seems to handle bloom much better. It also has a number of things you can adjust such as saturation, bloom, night bloom, etc.

Thanks...I went to REX and installed the naturalENB...very nice...I'll move to DX10 shortly...I have plenty of CPU and GPU horsepower (i7 4.8GhZ oc'd) and GTX 980 respectively...

I think my previous ENB experience was using it in conjunction with megascenery and I could never dial in the settings...I used  SweetFX with FS9 and liked the flexibility and ease of use.

I'll probably move to P3D one day...but enjoying the heck out of FSX right now...I realized I had installed FTX global but didn't update...when I purchased FTX Trees HD...I was able to update the global settings...remarkable improvement...even with UTX v1.

Rich