Sign in to follow this  
tutmeister

gtx970 sli opinions please

I am fully aware of the current sli situation regarding driver optimisations but I have seen people in various places saying that they do see a slight improvement when using sli.

Has anybody here actually tried sli with any recent nvidia cards? If so what happened?

Im not expecting huge increases but if I can see a slight increase it might be worth it for me as Im running at 4k and could do with a bit more when using complex aircraft. The cost of another 970 isn't too great so if it was say 20% or more improvement I might go for it.

Ultimately it is a personal choice for everyone as to whether sli is worth it or not but it would be good to know details so I can decide if it is worth it for me.

Would love to hear from people who have tried it at higher resolutions.

Regards Chris

Just wait for win 10 this summer...and DX12

From what I am reading, Big doings ...and big graphic smiles.

SLI, and multiple Graphic card amalgamation...

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Hi Chris

I think it's worth it !

I am running two  - EVGA GTX 970's in SLI

I chose the 970's for their good performance and great value, allowing me to try SLI within my budget.

I do get better performance, smooth and decent FPS, at 4k 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz.

P3Dv2.5 looks amazing on a 78" Samsung curved UHD TV.  I can't get enough.

Cheers

Steve

in that case I think I'll try it. Already got 10 preview on another pc just not on my main one but might try it.

great to hear Steve. What sort of fps are you getting?

I also run two 970's in SLI and get better performance. If you have them use them.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

i too also am running a 55 inch 4k tv and have 1 gtx 970 and was considering a second 970 and would also like to know if sli would benefit with the 2 cards,i get about 30 fps with the single card but can get a stutter at payware airports.

I tested it for a client the other day and I found out that while it didn't change much in FSX, P3D seems to be a little more fluid in SLI.  It isn't much right now, but I'm pretty sure the investment will pay off when DX12 comes out and/or with eventual upgrades of P3D.

Also, for most new games, it's a night and day difference.  If you can afford the investment (and have a capable enough PSU), I say go for it.

sig01.png

FPS is all over the place depending what and where but consistantly smoother with SLI.

If I had a greater budget I would have gone with 2 980's or the new Titans

Newer games are really amazing as well. Games like GTA V are I think optimized for SLI.

Cheers

I am fully aware of the current sli situation regarding driver optimisations but I have seen people in various places saying that they do see a slight improvement when using sli.

Has anybody here actually tried sli with any recent nvidia cards? If so what happened?

Im not expecting huge increases but if I can see a slight increase it might be worth it for me as Im running at 4k and could do with a bit more when using complex aircraft. The cost of another 970 isn't too great so if it was say 20% or more improvement I might go for it.

Ultimately it is a personal choice for everyone as to whether sli is worth it or not but it would be good to know details so I can decide if it is worth it for me.

Would love to hear from people who have tried it at higher resolutions.

Regards Chris

Rob Ainscough reported his Titan using more than 4GB of video memory when running P3D on a 4K screen.

The GTX970 with apparently only 3.5GB does not sound like the best choice here apart from any SLI performance issue as linked to by Rimshot above (Edit: at least for someone not already owning a single 970).

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

To those who say that SLI works, I ask how you set the Nvidia control panel?

I have two GTX 980, but in SLI performance is worse than not in SLI.

To those who say that SLI works, I ask how you set the Nvidia control panel?

I have two GTX 980, but in SLI performance is worse than not in SLI.

These settings work fine for me -

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nsg5g1fblhss0c4/Settings.zip

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'm running 970 SLI too. I do not recommend getting a 970 since the Nvidia fiasco bursted out. Without getting into too much debate, you're getting a 3.5GB card, instead of 4GB. Read more about it in various articles. SLI will not be efficient until LM overhaul their code, while working close with Nvidia. Looks like it's going to take time. I do expect them to accomplish that way before DX12 becomes mainstream.

There's a difference on my machine.

P3Dv2.5, FSX-SE, and most if not all other games and sims I use.

Either way, dispite the Nvidia fiasco, the card still fits the budget and two is better than one.

I think there are some great deals on the 970.

I'm very happy with my graphics card setup.

Cheers

Steve

As with a lot of "fiascos" - for the average user it is much ado about nothing. If you are running your system at max and tweaking to get every cycle out of the system - you will notice something in your benchmarks. For the regular user - I'm taking about the ones who might overclock their cpu but leave their GPU and memory alone - you won't really notice the difference.

FSX and P3D users aren't generally going to notice any serious issues.

Vic