Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

FSX-SE newbie - advice on scenery enhancements?

I am an experienced FS user but new to the FSX world. I have started using FSX-SE and love it. I am asking for some advice or feedback on purchases I am considering to enhance it. I have already installed FSUIPC, A2A Accu-sim and Zinnertek airport enhancer. (A so-so product) What I really want to focus on at this point is global enhancements. Here are the products I'm leaning toward.

One question is which do people think adds best value to SE and also if any of them do the same things and cancel each other out? (if any...) 

I have spent a lot of time searching the forums but so many threads are crowded with off-topic entries and much of what I read was from the early days of SE and may no longer be relevant. So here's my list. Tell me which I should start with, if there's a desirable sequence to buy them in etc.

Orbyx FT Global

Orbyx HD trees

F1 GEX

F1 UTX 2 (USA and Europe)

REX HD with Soft Clouds

Active Sky Next

According to my research, all are compatible with the current (updated this week) Steam version

Thank you for any help you can give

Cheers

Ian

If you are going to fly the world, grab Global.. I got it on sale at the X-mas sale.. I had GEX America before, it was ok, but it's just the US and doing the world with GEX would end up costing more than Orbx..

You really should grab an Orbx Region to check them out.. With Pacific Northwest, there are a lot of free airports available, and the paid ones are really nice as well. I was running PNW on top of GEX before no problem. Be aware the freebie and paid airports for PNW are mostly GA size though, not really big enough for Tube Liners if you were thinking of going there.

ASN is a definite and also grab Rex4!

Defenitely ORBX Global is the way to go! ASN is a must too, but im using OPUS and its really fine too.

I didnt own any REX product yet.. search freeware Hde V2, i love it. But it doesn't come with runways and water textures, only clouds and sky, 

Cheers :)

N.-

The FTX Global, Landclass (europe), Vector and regions are a complete overhaul of your sim. Expansive but well worth it if you ask me. HDTrees add a lot more realism and allows you to turn the slider for  vegetation a bit more to the right. As for weather, Active Sky next is must have. Your FSX license will also be acccepted by the P3D version i you ever decide to jump ship. A free enhancement to FSX is SweetFX.

Maarten Otto

19.jpg

I am an experienced FS user but new to the FSX world. I have started using FSX-SE and love it. I am asking for some advice or feedback on purchases I am considering to enhance it. I have already installed FSUIPC, A2A Accu-sim and Zinnertek airport enhancer. (A so-so product) What I really want to focus on at this point is global enhancements. Here are the products I'm leaning toward.

One question is which do people think adds best value to SE and also if any of them do the same things and cancel each other out? (if any...) 

I have spent a lot of time searching the forums but so many threads are crowded with off-topic entries and much of what I read was from the early days of SE and may no longer be relevant. So here's my list. Tell me which I should start with, if there's a desirable sequence to buy them in etc.

Orbyx FT Global

Orbyx HD trees

F1 GEX

F1 UTX 2 (USA and Europe)

REX HD with Soft Clouds

Active Sky Next

According to my research, all are compatible with the current (updated this week) Steam version

Thank you for any help you can give

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm going to assume that you are going with a single FSX-Steam install.

If you want to quickly transform your FSX then you need to RUN and get:

FTX Global + HD Trees

REX4 + Soft Clouds along with ASN (Amazing Weather Generator & Excellent Support)

My Traffic X for AI

This is an investment, not an expense.

If you need airplanes and utilities, just let us know.

Jose

Maarten, what slider controls vegetation?

Bob McDuff

I think he means for p3d.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I am running ORBX Global, Vector, and LC Europe in FSX-SE and have had great results.

The boxed version would crash every other day but with SE only crashed once in 2 months and that was because I did not update my ORBX Central.

Everyone's system is different and I know people will say there is no advantage to SE, but for me it's been well worthwhile. ORBX also has a Steam support sub forum now

to make things easier.

Thank you friends. I made the leap last night. I'm not telling my wife how much I spent but got Orbx Global, HD trees, both islands of my native New Zealand and Queenstown and Milford, two destinations I use to fly into almost daily during my RW career. On the "coming soon" list - Orbx Vector and probably LC, REX4 w Soft Clouds and ASN. Seriously considering My Traffic X but for now at least, WoAI is doing a fine job. Just wish I could get HeliTraffic 2009 to work but no luck so far.

I have to say that FSX-SE with these enhancements is a dream come true. Almost all sliders to the right, FPS locked at 26 and it is smooth as silk. I am LOVING IT!!!!!

Thank you all for your advice - it was pretty much unanimous..

Ian

As you already own Orbx Global now, stay away of F1 GEX - it does the exact same thing.

Same is true for Orbx Vector/Open LC and the Ultimate Terrain Series. Either one does the trick (some, including me, prefer UTX over Vector - I find it to be more detailed)

LORBY-SI

Thanks. Sounds like good advice ^_^