Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

Anti-Aliasing, This works for me.

I feel a bit silly posting this because this is old news to everyone else,  but i have found what works,  for me anyway.  

I'm using a GTX 690 4 gig Sli card.  

My biggest problem in Prepar3D was the shimmering around the Dials/Gauges and clocks, all the displays really.  Never had a problem with anything on the outside it was all in the Cockpit/VC,
used to drive me nuts.   And now i can gladly say,  every bit of shimmering is now gone from all areas of the Cockpit/VC.   

Maybe this might help some people like myself who are not as advanced as the rest of you's.

So what did i do ?  I just followed Rob Ainscough's  Nvidia Inspector Settings,  (Thank you Rob)

So what exactly did i do,  step by step.  Went to my P3D panel and set it like this  (haven't got a clue if this makes any difference)

16659108094_589723db56_b.jpgCapture[/url] by *poppet*[/url], on Flickr

Then opened up my Nvidia Control Panel and hit (Restore Default) at the top right of my panel, then hit the (Apply) at the bottom right,  i done this for Global settings and Program settings.

Then opened up my Nvidia Inspector and input the settings exactly like Rob's diagram showed.  (don't forget to hit apply at the top right)  Here is the screen shoot. 

16661110853_0af68b4df6_o.pngCapture.PNGgg[/url] by *poppet*[/url], on Flickr

As you can see,  i dropped the the Anistropic Filtering Settings down to 8 in the Nvidia Inspector Panel,  only to gain a little more performance as i don't have the Monster machine Rob has. 

I went back to my Nvidia Control panel and it looked like this,  so obviously after Restoring it,  the Nvidia Inspector changed it. 

17074541397_e92a6f1b02_o.pngCapture.PNGp by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/131429773@N03/]*poppet*, on Flickr

it is because you used SGSS AA that your have (almost)no shimmering...

All other AA settings only work through the P3D menu or NV Control Panel.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

SGSS Makes everything look just fine, but really kills FPS when there are clouds in the area.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

it is because you used SGSS AA that your have (almost)no shimmering...

All other AA settings only work through the P3D menu or NV Control Panel.

Hello Gerard, I understand you.  I tried to do this loads of times and failed (my own doing)  Its only up till last night i understood how it all worked. It makes a massive difference whilst panning around the cockpit, very happy with  :rolleyes:

SGSS Makes everything look just fine, but really kills FPS when there are clouds in the area.

Hello Brendan,  well that's true,  i only fly little to middle stuff so i'm hoping it will be ok.   

What is the true alternative for 4xGSSS AA for P3D without losing a quality?

What is the true alternative for 4xGSSS AA for P3D without losing a quality?

DSR 4x + MSAA 4x

DSR 4x + MSAA 4x

Thanks, NVI should be disabled, I presume. Is it correct?

Thanks again -  I will try. Funny how people are able to run shimmering - free P3D without NVI these days.

Thanks, NVI should be disabled, I presume. Is it correct?

One doesn't enable or disable NI, it only can affect the NVidia settings. Just use the NVidia CP to reset your graphic settings to default and don't use NI to adjust anything.

As for shimmering, just using 4xMSAA and FXAA cures any shimmering for me at my default desktop resolution of 1920x1080.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

As for shimmering, just using 4xMSAA and FXAA cures any shimmering for me at my default desktop resolution of 1920x1080.

Hello Philip, that's interesting, change this only in your Nvidia Control Panel? And not in NI

It's just two different places to access the same settings- I think Nvidia inspector gives more options and a wider range of profiles, but essentially it's just a fancy "nvidia control panel." 

Hello Philip, that's interesting, change this only in your Nvidia Control Panel? And not in NI

I just set it through P3D.

The only changes I make in NVidia Control Panel are:

1. Enable MFAA

2. Enable High Performance Mode

3. Enable Single Display Mode

4. Set LOD to Clamp

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Thank you Brendan

I just set it through P3D.

Oh right,  ill certainly try that,  thank you for the reply Philip 

What is MFAA? I don't see that in my anti aliasing settings