Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[27APR15] Ah- that pesky memory leak- and a few other small items...

Captains-

A few months back, we had a few users identify what they suspected was a very peculiar scenario in which the 777 would begin to "leak memory" if a certain set of parameters existed in an arrival/approach/go-around procedure.

We have been working with some of the data provided to us by these users, and about six weeks ago began testing some changes that we thought would help to prove/disprove/identify the problem- and tonight I am happy to tell you that we feel the issue has been proven, identified and resolved.

During the coming week we anticipate rolling out an updated version of the 777 in both FSX, FSX-SE and P3D.

Once we roll the update out, we will be sending it off to our partners at Aerosoft so that they can make it available to those who may want FSX and FSX-SE compatibility, as well as the latest round of updates to the 777 product line.

Out of an abundance of caution, we looked at the NGX to see if this problem was common to that product line, but we found that it was related to a function that was new with the development of the 777, but it had made it into the 747-400 and 747-8 as well, so it has been fixed in all iterations.

I do not have the names of the individuals that helped to find/prove this problem, as Ryan has been their main point of communication on the issue, but I have asked Ryan to jump in here and list their names as a manner of saying thank-you.  It is nice when comes to us with specific replications steps for a potential problem, especially one that is as obscure as this one- so their help in both identification and then verification of the fix was very much appreciated.

In the mean time, we are hard at work on the 747-400 and 747-8i once again.The last four months have been a distraction, so it is nice to be getting back to moving the product development cycle forward.  The DC-6 is preparing to enter beta testing on the X-Plane platform, and the 747 is starting to pick up speed once again.

As a small treat, here is a small picture of what I have been working on this weekend.  (Ignore the text scaling off the usable screen surface, we need to update the resolutions for the -8's displays, as they are higher than those used on the 744, so it causes some funkiness on the text display in this latest build... 

748ECL.jpg

Using the ECL in the 747-8 is quite a bit of fun because there are so many of everything...  You don't just get a GEN OFF message, you get four of them, along with their associated ECL procedures and cross references.  The ECL becomes quite a bit of fun to work with when you set up cascading failures.

When I get around to scaling that display, I throw up a few more images to show you how it walks you through some of the more complex, cascading issues you can expect to run into with a four engine airplane.

I have some other interesting tid-bits that are on close hold at the moment- but we should begin telling you about in short order.  Stay tuned!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Very nice!  Thanks for the T7 update, and I'm eager to get my hands on the 747!

sig01.png

Thank you for the post!! It's nice that you guys are constantly updating/optimizing your products. Can't wait to fly the 744/-8!!!!!

744ER /-8  :Drooling:  :Drooling:  :Drooling:  :Drooling:   Can't wait!

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the update Rob, I can't wait to fly the 747!!. In the meantime i'll put some more hours into the 777 before she heads off for some much needed TLC  :smile:

Sweet! Looking forward to T7 updates and 747's new arrival. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

I'm going to enjoy putting some mileage on the 744 as BA still use it quite extensively, but the 77W is my baby so looking forward to the update, thanks once again for the hard work Rob and team.

A big Thank You, to the Team at PMDG. Your attention to details is evident in your products.

Thanks Rob, i was just wondering when an update was going to be posted and was very happy to see this post when i refreshed AVSIM. Thanks again.  :rolleyes:

Clinton Royston Fernandes.

Vabb-Mumbai India.

great news, really waiting that DC6 to see what PMDG can pull on X-Plane. I'm really having great performance with it and easy to tweak settings as well as night lighting that is really amazing. But not yet a PMDG level aircraft, I've tried a few but was not convinced.

Lookign forward those newsbit :) as well as the 747 progress :D 

Thanks for the update Rob. I can't wait to see some more screenshots of the DC-6 once it gets into beta testing. I also look forward to all the other products PMDG bring to X-Plane.