Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Transition into a staffed control zone

All

What is the offical procedure to follow when in unstaffed airspace cruising at FL(whatever) and  monitoring Unicom 122.8, when  that airspace suddenly becomes staffed.  How would you know when that happens?  Do all aircraft wihin that airspace get a VPilot txt message to say a controller is now manning the sector?

All

What is the offical procedure to follow when in unstaffed airspace cruising at FL(whatever) and  monitoring Unicom 122.8, when  that airspace suddenly becomes staffed.  How would you know when that happens?  Do all aircraft wihin that airspace get a VPilot txt message to say a controller is now manning the sector?

Yes, the controller usually contacts you via PM if he wants to talk to you. Of course, if you know where you are, you sometimes can guess that you are now in an active zone when an controller shows up and you can contact himself.

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Yes, the controller usually contacts you via PM if he wants to talk to you. Of course, if you know where you are, you sometimes can guess that you are now in an active zone when an controller shows up and you can contact himself.

Okay.  I guess the best option is to monitor Vatastic or Vatmap to see if the zone status changes.

Okay.  I guess the best option is to monitor Vatastic or Vatmap to see if the zone status changes.

Yes always a good idea to know what is going on around you. i personally use Qutescoop (http://sourceforge.net/projects/qutescoop/). But you must be aware that the sectors shown in these programs are not always identical with the actual sectors/zones of the controllers. Especially around major airports with complicated airspace structures.

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.