Sign in to follow this  
MeneMene

Flight Scheduler v1 released

This is a utility that can assign give you information about real-world flights to do with your aircraft. There are ~2.3 million flights of the database, and a single click can give you a realistic route, airline, flight number, departure and arrival times, aircraft registration, and more for almost any airliner you can think of. There are historical schedules in the database as well, so now you can get realistic flights and routes to do with your classic aircraft that aren't used as much in the real world any more.

A huge range of real-world flights from multiple areas of aviation are included. 707 flights for Pan-Am in the 60's, flying Tristars in and out of Kai Tak in the 80's for Cathay Pacific, all the way up to modern A320/737/777 flights.

Get it here for free.

2-png.75

1-png.74

Hi,

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded it but how do I install it? The file extension is 7z. Shouldn't it be a zip file?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7z (7zip) is just a different type of archive. WinRar, WinZip, or 7zip should be able to open it just fine. It's packaged as a 7zip now to save space/bandwidth.

As for installing, just unpackage it to a folder of your choice and run the .exe within, there's no installer necessary.

But all those are commercial tools. If you zipped it using Windows people could just use W7 or XP to unzip it.

I really don't want to have to find and install a trial version of WinRar or Winzip just to assess the utilty.

Why don't you upload it to AvSim Library if it's freeware? You need to make it easy for people if you want them to try it. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Why don't you upload it to AvSim Library if it's freeware? You need to make it easy for people if you want them to try it. :wink:

Sweet tool but I have to concur with Mr. Proudfoot.

But all those are commercial tools. If you zipped it using Windows people could just use W7 or XP to unzip it.

I really don't want to have to find and install a trial version of WinRar or Winzip just to assess the utilty.

7zip is free. And works on pretty much everything, not just .zip files. Anyways, I'll consider it for the next release.

In the meantime, I hope that the type of archiver used wouldn't put you off trying it out, I think it's an invaluable tool especially for those who have a fondness for the classic airliners or anyone who wants to have that little extra realism in their flights.

I've installed 7zip, thanks.

Unzipped and ran it without reading the manual. Entered OMDB and EGCC as airports, A380 as aircraft and pressed Update Table.

It showed several fights on the right. Highlighted one and the results were displayed in 'Results'.

Question: Is its purpose to allow you to edit existing flights? For example, the 2nd OMDB-EGCC flight switched from a B777 to A380 recently.

Can I update that info and can I generate a separate traffic BGL?

It worked first time without me reading the manual so well done on making it intuitive. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've installed 7zip, thanks.

Unzipped and ran it without reading the manual. Entered OMDB and EGCC as airports, A380 as aircraft and pressed Update Table.

It showed several fights on the right. Highlighted one and the results were displayed in 'Results'.

Question: Is its purpose to allow you to edit existing flights? For example, the 2nd OMDB-EGCC flight switched from a B777 to A380 recently.

Can I update that info and can I generate a separate traffic BGL?

It worked first time without me reading the manual so well done on making it intuitive. :smile:

At the moment it's not possible for users to add their own entries into the schedule. My raw data is approximately 350 mb worth of text files, and I have a script that takes around 10 minutes compiling them all into the big .db file that the program uses. I could potentially include that script as part of the program and give instructions on the data format expected and such so that users could make additions, but that's in the future plans and would take a bit of careful thought on how to implement it cleanly.

However, there is hopefully more than enough in there currently to keep people happy for the time being. Each current airline has full schedules every two years starting in 2008, data permitting. This is done for balance, to prevent airlines with data from every season from "drowning" out the smaller or sparser ones. In this release, the most recent Emirates schedule is from the summer of 2014. I am updating the schedules and adding new airlines quite frequently, so it will continue to grow as new data becomes available.

Going to download and play around with it, but that's really, really neat.

From what I can tell, it's purpose has nothing to do with AI (as discussed above), but more to find accurate flights to recreate with yourself as the pilot, is that correct?

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Going to download and play around with it, but that's really, really neat.

From what I can tell, it's purpose has nothing to do with AI (as discussed above), but more to find accurate flights to recreate with yourself as the pilot, is that correct?

100% correct

Just finished installing.  Extremely neat.  Was able to bring up Air Canada flights from the 60's that used a Viscount...

I do have a suggestion however - in the table on the right, it would be superb to have a fifth column that indicates the year of the flight.  On that path, it might also be useful to be able to define a date range, in the same way you can define airport, airline, aircraft.

Regardless, superb application!!

Edit:

Another suggestion:  Rename the 'Update Table' button to say something like 'Search' or 'Display Results'.  I know the manual likely says it, and I figured it out very quickly, but still. ^_^

Second Edit:

Another suggestion:  Ray's questions regarding AI got me thinking; it would be awesome to be able to select one or more of these flights, be able to click a button that reads something like 'create AI flight plan' and have the program prompt you for a model / repaint, and generate a AI .bgl that you can use in the sim.  Would be a different way of generating AI flight plans for unique, one-off flights.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

MeneMene,

Thanks for the explanation. So it's a read-only application at present. Fair enough. Whenever I see these type of applications I always think there's an option to generate your own data.

At present it doesn't look like it's what I'm after. Having recently bought MyTraffic X Pro I was hoping I could interrogate that bgl to add, alter and delete flight plans.

But it's certainly useful and I wish you every success with it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I do have a suggestion however - in the table on the right, it would be superb to have a fifth column that indicates the year of the flight.  On that path, it might also be useful to be able to define a date range, in the same way you can define airport, airline, aircraft.

Another suggestion:  Rename the 'Update Table' button to say something like 'Search' or 'Display Results'.  I know the manual likely says it, and I figured it out very quickly, but still. ^_^

Another suggestion:  Ray's questions regarding AI got me thinking; it would be awesome to be able to select one or more of these flights, be able to click a button that reads something like 'create AI flight plan' and have the program prompt you for a model / repaint, and generate a AI .bgl that you can use in the sim.  Would be a different way of generating AI flight plans for unique, one-off flights.

A fifth column might make the table too cluttered, as it would drastically increase the number of entries. However, adding a date range selector similar to the flight duration options should be entirely possible.

The update table button simply takes the currently entered filters/parameters and displays all flights that match those parameters. You can then either click and interesting-looking one in the table to get the information, or hit one of the two random buttons at the bottom right to get it to pick for you. The pdf guide/manual has more info if you're interested.

I'll take the AI suggestions under consideration; at the moment they might be out of the scope of the application, but maybe in the future if I can think of a clean way to do it.

MeneMene,

Thanks for the explanation. So it's a read-only application at present. Fair enough. Whenever I see these type of applications I always think there's an option to generate your own data.

At present it doesn't look like it's what I'm after. Having recently bought MyTraffic X Pro I was hoping I could interrogate that bgl to add, alter and delete flight plans.

But it's certainly useful and I wish you every success with it.

Thanks for trying it out!

Just to be abundantly clear, to help other users, this utility has nothing to do with AI traffic whatsoever. Instead, it's a "what route should I fly with my 737" type of program, that gives you real flights from real airlines.

Hi MeneMene

Thanks a ton for your application!

I am looking for random routes to fly all the time-it keeps things interesting.

Keeping it simple probably ensures it does the job it was made for and keeps out bugs.

An option to export a flight plan to Prepar3d would be icing on the cake.

Jay