Sign in to follow this  
Silver_Dragon

Flight resurrect by Dovetail?

In a Twitch interview Dovetail claim your next Flight simulator to 2016 has based on the Flight! simulator. A resurrect?

Interview on Dovetail youtube, check 4:18

Only a community member with intent maintain informed to the simulator community about DCS: World news and progress

More news to the front....

Disclaimer: I´m not member of DCS: World team, Eagle Dynamic team or None official 3rd party.

That`s interesting. I still have some doubts about Flight`s business model and it looks like Dovetail is taking SE in that direction. Flight was a good sim. Perhaps it`s distribution method was just a bit ahead of it`s time for FS`s market. Maybe a couple of years have made a difference. If more payware developpers  such as ORBXpartner with FSXSE I can see it happening. FSXSE would simplify their marketing and distribution. However as FSXSE becomes mainstream, I kinda fear that freeware, which had always been the heart and soul of this hobby, will be compromised.  

ben

Hmm interesting.  I'm wondering if she kind of misspoke though.

I think Flight's business model is great for flight simulation, however, the content that was available and pricing were not.  Ideally I think it would have the whole base world at a lower "accuracy" level (a term we used on train sim, and I think works the same for flight sims), and then some spots you could purchase there were higher accuracy, as well as additional aircraft.  It also needs to support the basic features people expect in a sim, like the major aircraft types, ATC, etc.

Several 3rd party devs were excited about the possibility of having a central marketplace where ever user of the sim would be able to see their products.  It really cuts down on the difficulty of marketing, and allows smaller devs to compete with bigger ones.

Whether they use FSX or Flight as a base, I know they will head in that direction with the business model.

What they said in the "interview" was exactly what was said in the press release by dovetail in December '14 "Dovetail Games is also working on its own original titles based on Microsoft's flight technology..."

Unless they want to go all the way with a completely new 64 bit programme, it would make sense to consider building on the 32 bit existing Flight.

My guess is when they say "built on Microsoft flight", they mean FSX\Flight meaning almost any combination of the two, so it doesn't give a lot to speculate on.

i think they will just use the Flight engine, nothing more, nothing less. No?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Does not Microsoft's 'flight' technology include all it's technology from Combat Flight Sim, thru FS9, FSX to Flight?

So, we do not really know what will be used, apart from guessing that the winner is Flight?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

So, we do not really know what will be used, apart from guessing that the winner is Flight?

Yep. :rolleyes:

Dick