Sign in to follow this  
HamSammich

Woohoo! Windows Joystick Disconnects Conclusively Solved!

If you've been tearing your hair out over Win 8.1 or 10 joystick and throttle disconnects in P3D, especially with Saitek products, this could be for you.

I stumbled across a cure that, so far, has been absolutely, 100-percent effective. This works when disabling selective suspend in device manager does not. It works when changing power settings in Control Panel does not. It works when the problem presents itself in Windows 8.1 OR 10. Here goes.

Search the registry for this string, EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled=1, where the device it refers to corresponds to a joystick, pedals, throttle quadrant and so on.

Change it to read EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled=0

Reboot.

Smile.

Bear in mind, though, this needs to be redone every single frickin' time you upgrade Windows, as the Windows install stomps on those Registry keys. Sorry "resets them to the 'proper' values." :)

Hope this settles it once and for all

Hey... Congrads! Aside from joystick hell, would you recommend any particular feature of win8.1 for P3d?

Does this still work when you swap devices from one usb socket to another? or does windows reset the power management.

bob

Yep, works fine, thanks for the tip! :-)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I followed these steps (the workaround bit) similar to what you recommend back when I was on Windows 8.1 x64 : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2900614/en-us

It worked for a while and then suddenly only worked for a part of the joystick (Saitek X52), eventually completely failing. I then resorted to using FSUIPC and as far back as I can remember, it worked perfectly without any need for registry hacks. There's also DLYS (Don't Lose Your Stick) that achieves the same purpose (ran this before mapping all axes through FSUIPC) but runs outside of the sim : http://va-gae.eu/flightoperations/download/fsx-joystick-tool.html

If you've been tearing your hair out over Win 8.1 or 10 joystick and throttle disconnects in P3D, especially with Saitek products, this could be for you.

I stumbled across a cure that, so far, has been absolutely, 100-percent effective. This works when disabling selective suspend in device manager does not. It works when changing power settings in Control Panel does not. It works when the problem presents itself in Windows 8.1 OR 10. Here goes.

Search the registry for this string, EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled=1, where the device it refers to corresponds to a joystick, pedals, throttle quadrant and so on.

Change it to read EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled=0

Reboot.

Smile.

Bear in mind, though, this needs to be redone every single frickin' time you upgrade Windows, as the Windows install stomps on those Registry keys. Sorry "resets them to the 'proper' values." :)

Hope this settles it once and for all

Also do this:

go to BIOS /advanced/intel XHCI mode disable….EHCI handoff/disable

that works....

Hey, I solve that issue with registry entry, but I achieve another problem with saitek products with W8.1 64bit. I run FSX:SE and everything working fine unless I lose focus on FSX, it menas that you go to Windows or another application and return back to FSX. At this point FSX lose Saitek Yoke and Pedals. I cant see it at controls menu, but if you look into windows devices, they are still connected. Reconnect doesnt help, I have to restart FSX. really annoying, especially when you accidentaly press WIN key.

That occurs with both default WIN and saitek drivers - no difference.

I try to find some working fix, but I dont. So I temporarily switch back to W7 which working well, but... I really like W8.1 environment :(

I need some education please, how do you go about making a change within the registry on Windows 8?  I can't even find that string within the registry.  If anyone has done this fix please point me in the direction of a step by step process, thanks.

Or install WIndows 10 (for free).

100% fix

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Another solution which worked for me was to simply just open up a new logging file on FSUIPC.