Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Bumped into this on the web?

Not sure exactly what I am looking at, though. and why have I never heard of this?

http://nexgenflightsim.com/dir/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Is this the same gentleman who posted here with a blue sky proposal a few years back and eventually got the heave-ho?

DJ

Not sure exactly what I am looking at, though. and why have I never heard of this?

Surely ye jest Devon. They have an Outerra video on the website as one of their demos. You are probably more knowledgeable of Outerra than anyone else here at AVSIM as you have been following its developments with many videos. I do look forward to this new sim as I have been wowed by it since you have been posting videos. We do have an Unofficial Outerra Forum here at AVSIM with many more videos and information.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Surely ye jest Devon. They have an Outerra video on the website as one of their demos. You are probably more knowledgeable of Outerra than anyone else here at AVSIM as you have been following its developments with many videos. I do look forward to this new sim as I have been wowed by it since you have been posting videos. We do have an Unofficial Outerra Forum here at AVSIM with many more videos and information.

Best regards,

What helped me locate the site was the mention about Outerra, and they do seem to feature pics of it, which actually made me suspicious it might be an attempt to scam Outerra like they sometimes do with Flightgear. But the site seems to be about more than that, and other engines are featured as well. Also, the mention of a kickstarter has me intrigued and confused at the same time. It looks..... important, (if perhaps only self important) but i've honestly never heard of these guys before.

Just wondering if some of the connected people here knew more, since its definately not Outerra-centric and references several next-gen engines..

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

As Mr Spock might say..... "Fascinating."

Wonder if this will gain any traction?

Devons rig

As Mr Spock might say..... "Fascinating."

Wonder if this will gain any traction?

Indeed  :unsure:

Bert

Indeed  :unsure:

Well, whoever this Stephen B. Is, he writes well and the site is very nicely put together.

Devons rig

Well, whoever this Stephen B. Is, he writes well and the site is very nicely put together.

Agreed... lets see what comes of this.

This is not a small undertaking..

Bert

+HiFlyer The diamond in the rough, perhaps? Outerra... I have actually never heard of them before. I will certainly follow them exclusively now that you have helped me come across them. Thanks, and let's keep an eye out :).

Oh wow.  My wife often claims I'm a wee bit too cynical, but I have to say, my 'caution' radar went into the red browsing around on the site originally linked.

While generating support for a 'nextgen' flight simulator is a very noble cause, the following things about this effort (?) cause concern:

1) Website graphics that have been copied from stock photo websites, with the anti-copy protection additions still in place.

2) All links to external content are simply links to other peoples projects and efforts, but it's made to appear as if the projects linked to are involved with the website.  It looks great to have a page full of YouTube links, but they are all videos posted by other people involved with other projects.  In the same vein, the 'tech' articles are simply links to other organizations content.

3) They mention crowdfunding (a lot), but other than 'bringing people together' they don't actually clearly define what the crowdfunding money would be used for.

4) They have a very, very, very long post detailing a 'Rewards For Success' program that, should the crowdfunding campaign be successful, seems to revolves around people posting content on the website, visiting daily, rating posts, rather than actually creating content. In fact, more thought seems to be given to this rewards system than how to actually bring content creators or existing projects together.

5) There is a constant claim made that there is a very large community involved.  Things like 'Hot Topics' that have 50~ views, make it clear there isn't.  However the pitch is made that because there is a large community involved, the reader should become part of it.

6) One of the 'Hot Topics' is a post originally written by SeanTK regarding his opinion on the future of flight sims.  But... the website author copied the whole thing and put it on his site, claiming he couldn't reach the author.  He does credit SeanTK, but if I wrote a post like that on a public forum, I'd be slightly peeved to see it lifted and repeated on a different website, one that's using that content to draw readers to develop a crownfunding campaign... As for the original article, I'm sure I read the original post here on Avsim, but I can't recall when.

Anyhow... perhaps this individual is very sincere and means the best.  But personally, given the way it comes across, I'm quite wary of it all.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Well!

The whole site suddenly seems to have at least temporarily gone bye bye. 

I hope I didn't bring any unwanted publicity or anything, too soon.  :unsure:

Devons rig

I think everyone needs to be reminded that the flight simulation community has some individuals who like to scam their fellow citizens. It has happened in the past and it will happen in the future. Be aware.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

All those hours of work making a spiffy looking site, gone to the Great Bit-bucket in the Sky... :rofl:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

All those hours of work making a spiffy looking site, gone to the Great Bit-bucket in the Sky... :rofl:

Maybe not. It seems to be slowly coming back up.

I don't know what to think, so I am just going into "watch" mode.  :unsure:

Devons rig