Sign in to follow this  
PapaRomeo

Global, Vector, OpenLC What do i need?

I was wondering this:
I already have FTX Global, UTX, and custom mesh installed.

Do i need Vector and OpenLC, isn't that the same as UTX and my mesh?
Or is ORBX products better?

Please fill in your feedback.
Thanks.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

Do i need Vector and OpenLC, isn't that the same as UTX and my mesh?

You do not need Vector as long as you stay in the region that you have UTX for.  They are the same thing but UTX only covers certain regions where Vector will cover the entire world.

OpenLC is up to you.  UTX also provides land class.  Just a matter of which one you prefer there.  Since you have Global, OpenLC can access a wider variety of textures that are available in Global.  As far as I know, UTX does not/can not.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I was also thinking about variety of textures, you should think it will work better together with just orbx products.
I just haven't tried it yet.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

I have UTX in use for vector data and night lighting(prefer it over Global).  I use OpenLC for the land class though because I have Global.  Global contains a greater variety of textures that can be used for "painting" your land class tiles with.  So, since OpenLC is a Orbx product, they have access to their own additional textures they have in Global.  I don't know if UTX can access those or not.  Technically I think it would be possible but not sure if they are allowed to legally.  It's also possible that UTX contains a lot of additional textures too though that is custom to their product but I don't know that.

Anyway, I haven't tried UTX land class yet to see what it looks like with Global textures as I am thinking OpenLC would be better for this reason.  But, maybe someday I'll check out what just UTX looks like.  Oh, and I assume you know we are talking about just EU right now since that's the only OpenLC product out there.  If you want to fly elsewhere, then this is a different story.

Of course, as with most stuff in flight sim, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Yup, its about Europe.

I can see you can save some money now, so maybe i should just try it?

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

If you got the money and it's on sale, why not?  I can't say you WILL like it better or not.  That will be up to you. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Seems like i would still need a mesh, even with the 3 ORBX products.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

@Kevin

As you seem clued-up here, I too am contemplating getting Orbx's Vector and Open LC. I already have a good deal of their products such PNW Blue Ffords, etct, etc. How will obtaining these other two products enhance my Orbx sceneries? I also have a good few EU sceneries.

Seems like i would still need a mesh, even with the 3 ORBX products.

Sorry.  I thought you said you already had custom mesh in your original post?  If not, then yeah, you would benefit from some mesh too.  Either FSPilots(which is what Orbx promotes/uses with their products) or FSGenesis.  Either are good from what I hear.  I have FSGenesis myself and works and looks great!

@Kevin

As you seem clued-up here, I too am contemplating getting Orbx's Vector and Open LC. I already have a good deal of their products such PNW Blue Ffords, etct, etc. How will obtaining these other two products enhance my Orbx sceneries? I also have a good few EU sceneries.

For your Orbx regions, neither of these products are going to enhance those areas as they come with their own vector and land class custom to the region.  So, I'd only recommend Vector if you plan on leaving the regions you already have.  I'd only recommend OpenLC if you plan on flying in Europe as that's the only one available at the moment.  If you have EU Norway from Orbx and don't plan on flying out of that country, then OpenLC EU would not be worth it either.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Sorry, i did not explain my self very well.

I have mesh, but wondered why it wasn't including in 3 packages.

RIGHT NOW, at this very moment I'm thinking about switching to prepa3d.

But what about my already purchased FTX Global?

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

But what about my already purchased FTX Global?

Works fine in P3D - no extra cost either same installer as you have - you need to get ftx central 2 for 2.5 its free controls all of your orbx products

Rich Sennett

Sorry.  I thought you said you already had custom mesh in your original post?  If not, then yeah, you would benefit from some mesh too.  Either FSPilots(which is what Orbx promotes/uses with their products) or FSGenesis.  Either are good from what I hear.  I have FSGenesis myself and works and looks great!

For your Orbx regions, neither of these products are going to enhance those areas as they come with their own vector and land class custom to the region.  So, I'd only recommend Vector if you plan on leaving the regions you already have.  I'd only recommend OpenLC if you plan on flying in Europe as that's the only one available at the moment.  If you have EU Norway from Orbx and don't plan on flying out of that country, then OpenLC EU would not be worth it either.

Thanks for that elucidation, Kevin. So, let me précis this and see if I have got it right. I have Orbx major  Australian airports; New Zealand North and South, UK small airports, FTX England, Wales, N.Ireland, Scotland, plus a few US airports such as Concrete, Palm Springs, Monterey, and the previously-mentioned PNW and the PNW Blue Fjords. I do very little flying in Europe as I do not have P3D compatible sceneries for it. So, getting OpenCL should take care of that, is that right?

I do very little flying in Europe as I do not have P3D compatible sceneries for it. So, getting OpenCL should take care of that, is that right?

OpenLC EU will enhance the land class used for Europe.  You have to have FTX Global in order to use it.  I don't recall seeing that you say you do.  So you would need that as well.

I think there maybe is a slight language barrier issue too...I'm not sure what you mean by "OpenLC should take care of that" with reference to compatible sceneries.  OpenLC is P3D compatible but it will not make anything else compatible or not.  Each scenery in its own right is either compatible with P3D or not.  OpenLC will just define land class better/more accurately than default P3D does.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Hi Kevin

What in effect I meant was, if I just bought the OpenCL only, would it take care of the parts of Europe not covered by my other Orbx sceneries. And you have answered my query by stating that I'd also need FTX Global as well in order for that OpenCL to do its job in Europe. I was under the impression that all I would need was that OpenCL for Europe. Now it seems to be I need both.

No language barrier. Clear as mud, as we colloquially say here.

Thanks for the explanations,

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.