Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMoser

FreeMesh X Global 1.0 - Release Announcement

Hi folks,

Old fellow needs some help.

but when I extract, the message box says it cannot be extracted....

What do I need to do to access these two folders.

Thanks,

Tom

Thank you.

Tom

Are you using 7-Zip? It's a free open-source zipping software that's much better than the antiquated Windows zip. It's require to extract the direct downloads.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Hello AviatorMoser,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I d/l'd 7-Zip - Opened 7 Zip File Manager - clicked to extract - cursored to the FreeMeshX - North America.7z.001 -

The program started the extraction process, then a box below the status bar said:

1  Can not open file C:\Users\xx\Desktop\FreeMeshX - North America.7z.001' as archive.

I've used WinZip, JZip, and others for  years with no problem....

What am I doing wrong.

Thank you,

Tom

Hello AviatorMoser,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I d/l'd 7-Zip - Opened 7 Zip File Manager - clicked to extract - cursored to the FreeMeshX - North America.7z.001 -

The program started the extraction process, then a box below the status bar said:

1  Can not open file C:\Users\xx\Desktop\FreeMeshX - North America.7z.001' as archive.

I've used WinZip, JZip, and others for  years with no problem....

What am I doing wrong.

Thank you,

Tom

Tom, are both parts FreeMesh - North America.7z.001 and FreeMeshX - North America.7z.002 downloaded into the same folder? Both parts must be present in the same folder. Your extraction procedure looks correct, but it will certainly fail if both parts are not present.

Ok folks,

I figured out why there are some terracing-like problems near the Adriatic. From N30 - N41 to E016-E020, there are some major artifacts from what is believed to be an issue from mosaicing a few tiles. Unfortunately, this affects much of Italy and some of the Balkan countries. This affects the FreeMeshX - Europe package.

A patch will be issued within the next few days to remedy this. Sorry about this!

If your using direct link Ric, you need to use a download manager like "Internet Download Manager" <google>

uTorrent

In light on what is transpiring at this point I will wait until some of the issues have been addressed. Very excited and grateful of FreeMesh, thanks.

AviatorMoser,

NO - the two Folders are separate .7z.

Can I just drag "002" into the "001" like you can with jzip. ???

Thanks so much.

Tom

@AviatorMoser,  Thanks so much.

Vuze 5.6.0.0

I downloaded the Torrent for Africa in 2h 30 min.
Now I'm downloading Asia to 800Kb / s (+/- 4h)

AviatorMoser,

NO - the two Folders are separate .7z.

Can I just drag "002" into the "001" like you can with jzip. ???

Thanks so much.

Tom

Um, I don't think you can just drag and drop. It looks like you have both parts downloaded onto your Desktop, and they should both extract automatically when you extract the first part. I'm afraid that one of the archives may be corrupted during your download. Both files are OK on the server. I downloaded and tested them last night with FireFox without any issue.

Try this with the .001 file: right-click -> "7-zip " -> "extract to FreeMeshX - North America\". Make sure the .002 file is in the same folder with the .001 file. If it still fails, then your download was corrupted probably.

How do I get around this one?!

Dan, for what it's worth this is how I would do it...

Release a separate 'hotfix' torrent *only* containing the updated BGL's and inform users that these have to overwrite the BGLs in europe.

Right now, you've found a problem and patched it which is great, but maybe you find another problem next week?

If you replace the entire torrent with a new one things could get confusing as more patches come in.

I would just release hotfixes and let them settle for a few weeks/months then when everything looks good. update the entire torrent and call it v1.5 or something, that way you'll keep the 'base' and 'patches' separate.

As for people who can't/won't use torrents then while that's unfortunate just remember that you don't owe anyone anything. A release of this nature is absolutely perfect for Bit Torrent and all these underhanded comments by certain individuals are absolutely uncalled for. The two guys who put together this amazing, extremely high quality piece of work, have done so for *free* (how often does that happen in our community?) they don't have access to masses of bandwidth via an expensive HTTP server so they have to do it the community way. (Bit Torrent is also used for almost every Linux distribution ever made and various premium game updates (some of which don't advertise the fact they use Bit Torrent, but that's what they're using in the background))

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Dan, for what it's worth this is how I would do it...

Release a separate 'hotfix' torrent *only* containing the updated BGL's and inform users that these have to overwrite the BGLs in europe.

Right now, you've found a problem and patched it which is great, but maybe you find another problem next week?

Well, perhaps I spoke too soon. I've resolved the terrain issue on my end, and I am now able to create a patch that doesn't involve overwriting any files. It was just a case of two bad tile mosaics.

As I originally wanted, they can just get thrown into a "FreeMeshX - Patches" directory that is placed above all the FreeMeshX regions in the scenery library. I just need someone to download the patch (395 MB), place it in the load order, and make sure it's not just fixed on my end only.

I'll PM you with the patch link Ebs.

Having downloaded the mesh regions last night, this morning and afternoon i found time to take a look at these in FSXSE. Was absolutely impressed with how much better the world looks with these installed. Just for an example, flew around Rio de Janeiro, the mountains surrounding that city were spectacular!

Having Orbx FSX Global and Vector installed, i really don't see a reason now to install the Orbx NA regions, thereby saving space on my SSD for other things.

Great work to the OP! This is now on my "Must install" list for FSX.

Ill continue to seed these.

Computer Specs: i5-4690K 3.5 GHz overclocked to 4.0GHz / MSI GTX 960 4GB Video Card / 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz DDR3 System RAM / MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard / Crucial MX200 500GB mSATA SSD

Orbx NA will give you way more and mesh isn't even one of the things.

AviatorMoser,

I d/l'd with torrent and it worked.

Question for you OR any P3D v2.5 users:

I have my "folder" named FreeMeshX - North America, and inside a folder named "Scenery\then the bgl files.

In P3D v2.5 LM changed the file structure of many items - Add-On Scenery is no longer in the root of P3D folder.

Where should I place the FreeMeshX.....folder....I do "know" how to add it into the scenery library.................and what is the suggested order to place it in the scenery library??

I do have both Orbx Global and Vector.

Thanks so much  AND a gigantic Thank You for the development of FreeMeshX.......I can only imagine the time involved.

Tom

Patch 1.01 is live!

First. A special thank-you to seeders. Without you, this massive undertaking of distributing FreeMeshX would be very difficult for us, but you have all stepped up in a big way to make this happen! I am very grateful for your support! Keep up the good work!

Patch Description

This patch fixes issues with artifacts in tiles N30E010 and N40E010.

Regions affected are FreeMeshX - Europe, specifically the area of Italy and the Balkans. These areas suffered from stair-stepping and texture striping on initial release, and the bug came to our attention about 24 hours ago thanks to AVSIM community members Ebs and Pe11e. Thanks guys! These two tiles had a faulty compilation due to a bad mosaic of 1 deg x 1 deg tiles into a 10 deg x10 deg tile. This patch replaces these 10x10 tiles with corrected versions, so no more stair-steps -- even though Ebs thinks it looks cool :)

Installation

Inside the FreeMeshX - 1.01 Patch folder you will find the FreeMeshX - Patches folder.

The FreeMeshX - Patches folder will be the future folder for all corrected terrain tiles. This folder needs to be added to the scenery library with a higher priority over all FreeMeshX regions.In other words, the terrain files in this folder will be loaded last to correct any faulty tiles in the 1.0 release.

Special note to seeders: If you are seeding your FreeMeshX installation directly, please do not overwrite the old tiles with the corrected versions. The torrent will not like that, and will reject your seed. Add the patch files into their own library entry, e.g. FreeMeshX - Patches, and then prioritize it over all FreeMeshX regions.

Hypothetical relative scenery library order:

1 FreeMeshX - Patches
2 FreeMeshX - Africa
3 FreeMeshX - Antarctica
4 FreeMeshX - Asia
5 FreeMeshX - Australia and Oceania
6 FreeMeshX - Europe
7 FreeMeshX - North America
8 FreeMeshX - South and Central America

Of course, your real load order will be different, but you must keep the FreeMeshX - Patches library entry above the FreeMeshX regions.

I've been frequently asked on where to add these in the scenery library. The answer is: It's up to you. I would keep them before ORBX regions and after your stock scenery. That's about all the advice we can give you since everyone's library is so different.

Download (395 MB)

Torrent

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u6rypi5nclt858h/FreeMeshX_-_1.01_Patch.torrent

MediaFire Direct Download

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vba3qwwl1h66t81/FreeMeshX_-_1.01_Patch.7z

Once again, we apologize for the ad-captchas. I'm trying to get MediaFire to remove them, since I've paid to get them removed, but their customer service is crap.

License: You may use and share this work, as long as original credit is given to the authors: Daniel Moser and David Esnouf. No commercialization of this work or derivative works is allowed.

Full license here: http://creativecommo...d/4.0/legalcode

Thank you once again. Enjoy.

McSk32S.png

-- Nine-Two Productions

Can you check the torrent link posted above? I am not getting the torrent for the patch using that link.

Edit: Now it's working. Must have been at the MF end.

Thanks a lot for offering this project and seeding as much i can. 

Cheers

Fontenele