Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

ASN introducing major stuttering in P3D 2.5

Hi.

I've noticed now on several flights that P3D is stuttering quite a lot, in mid flight/cruise and especially on descent. If I quit ASN, problem goes away and everything is smooth like butter. Open ASN again, clouds load in - instant stutter fest.

Anyone else experienced this? Any way around it? I'm using the latest ASN patch as well. Its a shame becuase it occurs with minor cloud density...

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

This occurs with me as well. Although I was using REX weather for a while and it was telling that it was the cause of stutters. When the dialog text started the injection stutters occurred. Same with ASN, although the problem subsided when I changed RAM and CPU. Still noticable tho.

I have ASN SP2 and not had any issues running it in P3D v2.5. Rock steady.

I have not experienced this.  I do not use any tweaks and my settings in P3D are conservative.  I know if you turn up shadows and some other settings in P3D, ASN will need more resources to work properly.  Isn't stuttering caused by high settings and, when you add a program like ASN/REX that might use more resources, it might cause stuttering to occur?  You are no longer using the default.  You are using a commercial addon program which has improved the default.  Or, is ASN/REX supposed to be exactly like the default without any enhancements? Stuttering has been a major problem in FSX/P3D/FS9 and it will continue to be a major problem when everyone wants to turn up the eye-candy.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Very valid points there, Jim. I've only adjusted using the latest NickN's tips. Nothing more. No maxing-out as I know my hardware will not take it.So. I'm happy with my FPS and smoothness.

Hi.

I've noticed now on several flights that P3D is stuttering quite a lot, in mid flight/cruise and especially on descent. If I quit ASN, problem goes away and everything is smooth like butter. Open ASN again, clouds load in - instant stutter fest.

Anyone else experienced this? Any way around it? I'm using the latest ASN patch as well. Its a shame becuase it occurs with minor cloud density...

Hei der Brynjar,

ASN is incredibly resource hungry. When I tested it, I found that it was a major contributor to introducing stutters and slowing overall P3D performance.

I use FS Global Weather, it offers much more realistic weather, and does not come with the performance hit I experienced with ASN.

Med vennlig hilsen  ^_^

Jerome

I'm running P3D 2.5 and ASN SP2 (haven't installed the latest update yet). Silky smooth locked 35 fps with no stuttering in the Aerosoft Airbus X at LatinVFR's San Juan on my fairly modest system.

The only time I noticed ASN causing stuttering is when it updates the weather. And it's a very minor stutter that takes about 1 second. Have you changed the setting that increases the range of the clouds and weather updates? ASN might be trying to get more METAR/weather reports, causing more stuttering.

I have not experienced this.  I do not use any tweaks and my settings in P3D are conservative.  I know if you turn up shadows and some other settings in P3D, ASN will need more resources to work properly.  Isn't stuttering caused by high settings and, when you add a program like ASN/REX that might use more resources, it might cause stuttering to occur?  You are no longer using the default.  You are using a commercial addon program which has improved the default.  Or, is ASN/REX supposed to be exactly like the default without any enhancements? Stuttering has been a major problem in FSX/P3D/FS9 and it will continue to be a major problem when everyone wants to turn up the eye-candy.

Best regards,

Thanks for the reply, Jim. Yes, I am fully aware that high settings will of course bring a system down on it knees. My settings are, like yours, very conservative. Only a few must-have tweaks in the CFG (e.g OPTIMIZE_PARTS). 

LOD radius 3.5

NO cloud shadows

All autogen density set to sparse

TML 1024 including REX clouds

Cloud density set to medium within P3D

In ASN, all settings are mostly set to default, except lowered cloud distance

So you see, its not my settings which are causing the issue. They are pretty much nerfed all the way down to save VAS and FPS. Might be placebo, but I felt I had much better performance with ASN on previous versions.

If anyone on to try a scenario, load up EHAM airport today with weather from around 14-16.00 AM (UTC timezone). It should be raining, low level clouds, 5000m sight.

METAR: EHAM 031425Z 17013KT 4600 -DZRA FEW004 SCT006 BKN007 15/15 Q0999 BECMG 6000 SCT007 BKN012

On ground, there's almost no stutters. The problem starts to appear in air and above clouds. Well that and draining 20 FPS from my system.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

On ground, there's almost no stutters. The problem starts to appear in air and above clouds. Well that and draining 20 FPS from my system.

I have no such issues. If this is happening to you, there is another issue - I suggest contacting support.hifitechinc.com and opening a ticket. They'll get you sorted out quickly.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi,

When you turn off ASN, the weather theme also goes away which is probably why you're not seeing any stuttering. I've been using ASN since v2.4 and can't recall ever seeing stutters due to ASN consuming large amounts of resources. Have you tried uninstalling ASN and re-installing to see if the issue persists?

Are you using Sparsegrid Supersampling through Nvidia Inspector at all? If you are, this is known to cause performance impacts when in cloudy conditions so try changing that setting to see if your stutters go away.

A couple of setting changes you can make in ASN to see if the stuttering reduces is to uncheck the "Force BKN to 7/8ths" and uncheck the "Enhanced overcast conditions".

If ASN was truly causing stuttering you would see it every time it's enabled and not just in certain situations (The problem starts to appear in air and above clouds).

Mike

No stutters here with ASN , but I am using it over a network...

If you a spare pc or laptop you could try it too.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Just completed a flight 10 min ago in the NGX with ASN from Edinborough to East Midlands. The weather was awfull with some major storms on approach to East midlands. Basically, very heavy weather and poor visibility. The sim performed perfectly but the ride was very bumpy.

I have ASN running on the same PC as P3D and was downloading the freeware mesh at the same time. I live out in the wilds of Wales so my internet speed is slow but non of this contributed to any issues

i use 512x512 HDR clouds which even when spread across three screens give perfectly good visuals and great performance. Also check that your not using SGSS as mentioned above.

Not using any NI settings, including SGSS. Only AA is set within P3D.

I've narrowed it down to something else now. When looking at, or flying above/towards a very uniform low-level layer of clouds, stutters and huge drop in FPS occurs. If I close ASN and restart, problem is still there but to a less degree. Maybe I should try FS real weather just for fun.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

ASN is incredibly resource hungry.

ASN just hangs out doing nothing until ASN refreshes the weather. Change the ASN weather refresh rate to something long like 60 minutes and see if you still get periodic stutters at short intervals. If so, it's not ASN, but rather the sim that is having trouble coping with the injected weather at the chosen sim settings and ASN settings.

There is also an ASN option under Simulator depiction settings called "Suppress local weather changes". This also may help with periodic stuttering.

Guest Mik75

Hi! Do you use Aivlasoft EFB on your flights? That program (unfortunately, I really like it) caused very serious stuttering for me.