Sign in to follow this  
shahie

Asus R9 280x to Asus GTX970

Hi,

Do i gain extra FPS if i upgrade to the above GPU? below is my current spec (since 4 years ago except R9 280x only a year ago) or better save the $$ for next whole replacement?

- Intel core i7 980X @ 4.3Ghz

- Asus Rampage III Extreme Motherboard

- Corsair H60 Liquid cooling

- 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator

- Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB GPU

- 250GB Samsung 840 Evo SATA3 SSD for Wndows and 120GB Scandisk SATA3 SSD for FSX

- 750W Seasonic PSU

- 27" LED IPS HP monitor

- Windows 7 Home premium 64bit

- FSX SP2

- PMDG 737NGX SP1D

- EZDOK 1.17

- REX 4 Texture Direct

- Orbx Global, Orbx Global Vector, Orbx HD Trees

- My Traffic 6

- Active Sky Net

- AES 2.38

- TrackIR

Thank you

Regards

Shaheedan

FSX has never liked AMD/ATi cards, my personal preference is towards AMD but because of FSX I have stuck with NVidia for the past few upgrades. You should see an increase in FPS switching to the 970 and also you should be able to switch to DX10 with Steve's fixer which gives a better visual experience and (for some) better frame rates (it doesn't work too well with AMD cards). If you do make the switch you will need to make sure you fully uninstall all traces of your AMD drivers before fitting the new card. Otherwise your current rig looks pretty good and I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to upgrade for FSX sake.

thanks for the advise and info. ya, i have DX10 program by steve but can't work well now. will look for that GTX970 soon.

thank you

There are a couple of cards that are due for release soon which may lead to a decrease in the current price of the 970 / 980 so if you are in no hurry then it could be worthwhile waiting for the GTX980Ti and AMD 390X to appear, it shouldn't bee much longer.