Sign in to follow this  
aquila40

Can't access SDK folder on FSX DVD

When I mount the FSX DVD #1, the installation screen pops up seeking permission to make changes in my computer.  All I want to do is browse the disk so I select no and cancel the install shield. When I open Windows Explorer, I see the SDK folder but when I click it to open it, the computer seems to be searching the disk and it doesn't stop. My system is 64-bit Windows 7. It does this with the 
Acceleration DVD, too.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

That's very common. You can try running the installer from the "Run" box (Windows key+R), paste the path to the installer and press OK. Substitute the actual drive letter of your DVD drive for [drive letter] in each of the paths.

install the basic FSX deluxe SDK first (FSX Disk 1) :

[drive letter]:\SDK\setup.exe

update to SP1a by running (Accel disk) :

[drive letter]:\SDK\SP1a\fsx_sdk_sp1a.exe

Finally install the Accel SDK (Accel disk) :

[drive letter]:\SDK\sdk.msi

If you find any of the installers won't run you can try copying the installers from the disks to your hard drive with a DOS command and then running them from there (that's what I had to do). For help on that see here:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/entry.php?577-Installing-The-SDKs-From-The-FSX-Gold-Disks

Jim

Happy to help, good luck getting your SDK installed! :smile:

I noticed that, among the files downloaded from the disks, is one titled "Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK" and identified as a "Windows Installer Package". I launched it and got some additional files, including the "overview" which I didn't get by doing "setup, sp1a, and sdk.msi". What is the purpose of this installer? When launched, it pops up a screen offering "repair or remove". Should I ignore it? So far, I've done the 3 installs and the dll.xml but the mission edit screen doesn't appear when I launch FSX. Any tips?

Thanks, again, for your help (great blog)!

I think setup.exe is a lead-in that ultimately calls Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK.msi to actually install the SDK after setup.exe shows you the Eula and all that. I would ignore it and just use setup.exe. It's imperitive that your SDK version match your sim version so you need to make sure SDK.msi from the Accel disk is the last installer run (assuming you have Accel installed in the sim). If you've run Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK.msi after the fact it I'm wondering if it may have reverted you back to the original RTM SDK version? (I'm not brave enough to try it and see what happens :smile: )

My Object_Placement.dll located in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit" shows version 10.0.61637, dated 9/26/2007 at 4:08 PM, does that match yours?

Also did the <path> in dll.xml come out correctly? Does it point to "Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\Object_Placement.dll" and there's actually a .dll there by that filename?

Jim

Hi! keep the info coming! lol! I'm still not getting "Tools" on the inflight toolbar. My first install was to a non-default folder but, when things didn't work out, I went ahead and installed SDK to the same folder as the game (against your advice ..). I found an article on troubleshooting and it suggests that addons may be interfering - I have FSUIPC and AI Carriers. Also, the version of my Object Placement dll is 10.0.60905.0 9/4/06 - older than yours.

My main interest is in mission planning so I hoping to get it up and running soon. I've been somewhat disappointed by the missions I've played (or tried to play) so far ... especially the ones requiring a specific aircraft - one aircraft was specific to the point of ".... - paint 4" in the title. Another objection I have is a mission that requires almost 2 hours just to fly from A to B.  The best ones, I think, are short and require several stops. There are a lot of story missions by a prolific creator but I've never been able to figure out what the purpose is if the item to discover is so obscure. If more care had been paid to the mission part and not the context, they wouldn't be in my recycle bin. They look very interesting. So, my recycle bin is filled up with missions.

I intend to use only default FSX aircraft so the pilot won't have to search for the aircraft zip which may no longer exist.

Thanks, again, for the help. I'll keep trying.

Update:  I checked the dll.xml and found that the SDK components were all Disable>TRUE<Disable ... so I enabled all of them and finally got the Tools option on the toolbar.  What's a good way to check if it works? try a small, short mission?

Your encouragement to continue searching for a solution was key! thanks, again!

To be honest I have no idea, lol. I think I managed to place an object with the OPT once but I have never tried a mission. I would try running SDK.msi (the last one) again to see if it will update that Object_Placement.dll to my version, my guess is that will give you trouble, actually I'm surprised you're seeing the Tools menu at all because usually a mismatch makes the Tools menu a no-show. Also odd is that I tried double clicking Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK.msi and I get a pop up that says "This installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe". I'm also on Win7 64, strange these damn computer thingys are...

I think the Program Files(x86) folder should be fine, the only thing is none of the example files (i.e. Terrain SDK\Resample Examples) will work because Windows UAC won't let you compile a .bgl into the Program Files(x86) folder with UAC on. It's OK though because most times you'll be compiling those straight into an active scenery folder or a work/project folder and then moving them into the active scenery folder anyway. You can even compile the examples if you copy the Terrain SDK folder to a location outside Program Files (x86).

Jim

Hi! Well, thanks to your help, I've been able to begin creating a mission, complete with audio. I'm now trying to figure out how to direct the pilot to a particular way point with a dialog action suggesting a descent to view an airstrip and have the compass in the upper left corner appear.  The Area Definition is the only thing I've found that can trigger an aircraft's presence at a certain point.

Anyway, I'll continue to plumb the depths of the forum in search of answers. Yours helped and encouraged me to try different things.

Thanks, again!

You're a better man than I, I couldn't figure out how to make that thing do anything useful at all! I actually gave it a try once, I can't remember what happened but it didn't work. I'll look you up one day for sure when I get ready to try it again. Glad you got everything going! :smile: