Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Scotland 1: Over the Sea to Skye - the West Coast and Highlands

Scotland 1: Over the Sea to Skye - the West Coast and Highlands

This is the first of potentially up to four routes exploring Scotland.  We begin at Glasgow's international airport (EGPF) heading west, stopping at Bute Island (SCO5 in Orbx) and Gigha (SCO2) on our way to Islay (EGPI).  After giving Jeff 10 minutes to get his whiskey (it will be timed) we depart north to the small grass strip (ULL) in front of the Glenforsa Hotel on the Isle of Mull, before visiting Oban (EGEO), the largest town in the region.  We then set off for some highland sightseeing, taking in the mountains and glaciated valleys of Glen Etive, the desolate Rannoch Moor and an exhilarating ride through Glencoe (best done about 50ft off the floor) before we turn and climb to fly past Ben Nevis, the highest point in the UK. Heading further north we pass the landmark Eilean Donan Castle before landing at Plockton (UK10).  The final leg will take us, as promised, over the sea to Skye (look left just after leaving Plockton for the new Skye Bridge) where we can make a quick run around the Cuillin Mountains before landing at Broadford/Skye Bridge airfield (XBRO), the only recognised runway on the island.

Recommended aircraft: I get to eat my words here because I said we should be in Twin Otters for landing on the beach at Barra, but I've put that off till next week! it's a 250nm route so we should be aiming for around 140 knots.  C182's would be fine, I'll be in the Carenado C337 Skymaster.  Some of the runways aren't too long but we're not talking bush strips here.  The main hazard is likely to be the weather.... (we may want to make a decision on the day whether to use live weather or not, it could be grim!).

Recommended scenery:

- Orbx Scotland

- UK2000 Glasgow Extreme

- Sim720 Oban (optional, I don't have it)

[ From the conversation last Saturday, it seemed that not everyone was aware that free versions are available of most of the UK2000 airports.  These are cut-down versions of the full payware products but are a major upgrade over default or Orbx region airports.  The full list of UK2000 airports is here.  While you're getting Glasgow it would be worth also picking up Prestwick (here), we're starting there next week. ]

Flightplans:

- FSX

- Plan-G

- Skyvector

Full package (flightplans, narrative)

Date and time: Saturday 16th May, 1800 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

Don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer speadsheet! (linked here)

Going to fly the Corby Starlet again.  B)   Can get 146 kts true out of the 'lil bugger with the Jabiru powerplant.  The repaint (G-CCXO) is included w/the base package used last week - all info on the spreadsheet.  

Thanks Nick.

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

sorry fellas, cant make it this week ( family matters ).

regards.

We'll most certainly miss your dulcet tones, Roger. :(

Right, joke over. :lol:

I've taken a look at the weather forecast for Saturday evening and it looks "not too bad". Cloud cover = nothing we can't handle. Wind = mid to high teens (been there, done that) Having said that I think I'll take a heavier Twin Otter rather than get bounced about in a C182.

Aside from that I went to the trouble of downloading every bleedin' UK registration T.O. I could find

Roman, I'd keep the lil' blighter on a piece of string if I were you!

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

A narrative for this week's flight can be found here.

Or download the full package (flightplans, narrative).

Cloud cover = nothing we can't handle.

With that quote, I should be able to get good odds on Ron being the first to find a granite cloud on Saturday - and where we're going, there will be plenty of them to hit! 

LOL! I've been moochin' about in Scotland this evening and the thought crossed my mind that I would be eating those words. :rolleyes:

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

With all the talk of bad weather I updated the Corby to minimum IFR & added nav lights along with an ADF receiver for "pin point" navigation. :LMAO:

It's completely optional for you,but if you add the following sections to the very end of the Corby's aircraft.cfg you will see the lights.. No worries as the aircraft.cfg didn't even have these sections. I also added a smoke section to let you all know if my highly modified Jabiru 2200 blows up!  Cya tomorrow.

[LIGHTS]
// Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
// 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=logo, 10=cabin
light.0 =3,  0.0,-9.32, -0.23, fx_navred
light.1 =3,  0.0, 9.32, -0.23, fx_navgre
light.2 =3,  -8.20,  0.00, 3.89, fx_navwhi
light.3 =2, -0.00,-9.25, -0.23, fx_strobe
light.4 =2,  -0.00, 9.25, -0.23, fx_strobe
light.5 =1, -5.91,  0.00, -1.03, fx_beacon
light.6 =5,  1.0, 4.651, -1.25, fx_shockwave_landing_light_narrow_down
light.7 =5,  1.0, -4.651, -1.25, fx_shockwave_landing_light_narrow_down

[SMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.0 = 3.5, 0.0, -1.83, fx_smoke_w

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Done that. I expect to see you in Christmas tree mode.

A narrative for this week's flight can be found here.

Or download the full package (flightplans, narrative).

With that quote, I should be able to get good odds on Ron being the first to find a granite cloud on Saturday - and where we're going, there will be plenty of them to hit! 

Not partaking in this, but just read your narrative-----you should be working for the Scottish Tourist Board. Was in Glasgow for the Games last year and in 1970 and ran at the old Meadowbank too, against, of all people, then, the future Olympic 100m champion. Been climbing in the Cullins too. Memories of the Hebrides came back reading that.

Good Luck to the team. Happy flights.

Thanks Rick - glad you enjoyed it.  I can only take credit for the cutting and pasting from Wikipedia though :blush:  

I've spent a bit of time in the area too, and have also climbed in the Cuillins, including a section of the Cuillin ridge which I would describe as "bloomin' scary" without ropes!  I've been up most of the other mountains mentioned too.

I've spent a bit of time in the area too, and have also climbed in the Cuillins, including a section of the Cuillin ridge which I would describe as "bloomin' scary" without ropes!  I've been up most of the other mountains mentioned too.

Oh God! He's been there too! :rolleyes:

I'll be joining you, in an a2a C182.

Do not have the Orbx scenery, but have programmed the waypoints into my GTN 750 and will just see what FSX airports I find, as I go along..

Bert

Bert,

SCO2, SCO5 and XBRO are only in Orbx Scotland, the rest are in default FSX.

Community Scenery Addons for Orbx Scotland

Flying in Scotland allows one to enjoy a few "Community Addons" that enhance the Orbx Scotland scenery. The general thread is here: Community Scenery Addons.

Some bits of special interest include:

Richard Bui sceneries for Scotland. (Richard is now doing work with Orbx).

His scenery downloads are here: http://wwvecscen.blogspot.fr/p/telechargements-downloads.html

Eilean Donan and Dornie Village by Richard Bui

Blackness Castle

Royal Estate of Balmoral

The Hopetoun House

Martin Reiffer Scotland X v1.10

The forum post is here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/60826-scotland-scenery-poi-add-on-full-version/

The link for the download is in the first post of the thread: (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=18169)

The Points of Interest are mainly for the Edinburgh area. But there is an enhancement for Stirling Castle. And there is the addition of the now famous McCaig's Folly at Oban!

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Nice one Mike. :good: