Sign in to follow this  
N405GJ

Upgrading to P3D

Hello all. First off, thank you for the excellent products! I have been enjoying both the NGX and 777 in FSX SE immensely. I am working on making the switch full time to P3D and one of the big things holding me back is having to repurchase both products, and the expansions, for well over another $200. Is there any possibility of "turning in" the FSX licenses for a discount towards upgrading to the P3D versions? I am experiencing buyers remorse at getting the versions I did, and would love to have everything in the better sim. What are my options here?

I know, and fully understand, that there are coding differences requiring more work to support both versions. But having to make this sizeable investment again is really hitting me hard. I am sure I am not the first to ask this question, and won't be the last. I know which version of the 744v2 I will be buying when it releases, but until then I'm stuck with the other 2 in the subpar sim. :(

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I'll keep my fingers crossed for a reasonable resolution. Thanks for your time and assistance.

Matt Bernard

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

Easy answer is there are no options at this point, except to pay full price. You already missed the discounted P3D licensing upgrades a while ago.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

holding me back is having to repurchase both products, and the expansions

Sean Campbell has listed option A and there is no option B.

Hi Matt,

I am a regular long-haul B777-300ER pilot.

I took the plunge and moved from FSX to P3Dv2.5 Professional a few months ago. I can honestly say that I feel that it is a very good investment for my flight simulation future.

I have had few major problems, but conversion took a deal of planning the steps beforehand. I found that time spent in reading the posts of other migrators invaluable. It still took a lot of fiddling around to fully succeed, but I now feel that I have certainly made the right strategic step to P3D.

If you try to migrate. expect to have lots of questions, and to have the assistance of many before you from these message boards.

Good luck with your investigations and migrations!

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Well this is truly disappointing news. :( Perhaps one of the PMDG crew can chime in here and explain their reasonings behind this stance. Again, I love the products, but what reason is there behind not providing at least a discount if not making the licenses transferable, other than financial gain? Is it part of the licensing agreements with Boeing?

The other part I do not understand is the reasoning behind commanding a $50 price difference between FSX and P3D versions? What is different between the two versions? I am not trying to be snarky or hostile, just genuinely curious.

Matt Bernard

Matt Bernard

The other part I do not understand is the reasoning behind commanding a $50 price difference between FSX and P3D versions? What is different between the two versions? I am not trying to be snarky or hostile, just genuinely curious.

I was going to selectively quote from a past post in order to tailor it a little more to your specific questions, but to avoid issues with context and to ensure that you get the full picture, I'll just link you to the post: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/461729-08feb15-p3d-pricing-policy-some-facts-on-this-issue/

Kyle Rodgers

I was going to selectively quote from a past post in order to tailor it a little more to your specific questions, but to avoid issues with context and to ensure that you get the full picture, I'll just link you to the post: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/461729-08feb15-p3d-pricing-policy-some-facts-on-this-issue/

Kyle, Thank you for the quick response. Upon reading that post, I remembered seeing it in the past. And it makes sense, and is fair. On the other hand, what would be the harm in allowing those of us that own one version, and desire to upgrade to the new version, make this purchase at the initial discount price? I know I missed the boat on on the sale, but this would make the purchase a bit easier to manage. And it may lead to further sales for those in a similar situation.

At the time of the initial release, I was just getting back into the flight simulation hobby and was confused as to which sim platform was the better option. I purchased both FSX SE and P3D. I found FSX SE to more similar to what I remembered, and it was the more comfortable option. Now a few months later, with a lot more knowledge, I see that P3D is the way to go. At least for us more "advanced" users. I can't be the only one in the same situation. The release of FSX SE has brought many of us back into the fold, and this has to lead to more people exploring the options for a more satisfying experience. Your products are certainly what I have been looking for to meet this need. It seems that offering an upgrade path for those of us in my situation can only be beneficial to all involved.

Matt Bernard

Kyle, Thank you for the quick response. Upon reading that post, I remembered seeing it in the past. And it makes sense, and is fair. On the other hand, what would be the harm in allowing those of us that own one version, and desire to upgrade to the new version, make this purchase at the initial discount price? I know I missed the boat on on the sale, but this would make the purchase a bit easier to manage. And it may lead to further sales for those in a similar situation. 

At the time of the initial release, I was just getting back into the flight simulation hobby and was confused as to which sim platform was the better option. I purchased both FSX SE and P3D. I found FSX SE to more similar to what I remembered, and it was the more comfortable option. Now a few months later, with a lot more knowledge, I see that P3D is the way to go. At least for us more "advanced" users. I can't be the only one in the same situation. The release of FSX SE has brought many of us back into the fold, and this has to lead to more people exploring the options for a more satisfying experience. Your products are certainly what I have been looking for to meet this need. It seems that offering an upgrade path for those of us in my situation can only be beneficial to all involved. 

While I understand your points, the promotional period has ended. FSX (FSX:SE) and P3D are separate platforms with separate intended purposes.

Kyle Rodgers

I too think there should be a bundle price for both the fsx and p3d versions. It's the same product (including the manuals which will be a big part of the cost too) both identical ones sitting on my hdd..

To buy both in my opinion I think was unjust but we paid it because we didn't have a choice ;)

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I wonder if something can be done for existing customers, especially if Prepar3D goes over to 64GB at least most customers will leave there FSX version in the shelf.

While I understand your points, the promotional period has ended. FSX (FSX:SE) and P3D are separate platforms with separate intended purposes.

They are both flight simulators. I am pretty sure the FSX users are wanting to use the P3D version for private use only, not commercial.

Regards,
Robbie
Qualified Private Pilot - Check out my YouTube channel!  

The Grandad V2 - Prepar3D v4.5 HF2 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) | Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition | Intel i7 8700K 4.7GhZ  | Corsair H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler  | nVidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC GDDR5X | Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 RAM | 2x KIngston  240GB HyperX 3K SSD | 2TB WD  Ext SSD | Windows 10 Build 1903 Corsair RM Series 750X '80 + Gold' 750W Modular PSU | Windows 10 Build 19042

I wonder if something can be done for existing customers, especially if Prepar3D goes over to 64GB at least most customers will leave there FSX version in the shelf.

They are both flight simulators. I am pretty sure the FSX users are wanting to use the P3D version for private use only, not commercial.

There is always something that can be done. PMDG sets their own pricing policies, and there is no reason they cannot offer a discount to customers who already own one version, and would like to buy another. They simply choose not too, no matter what their reasoning. And this at its most basic level is disappointing as a consumer.

Matt Bernard

Matt Bernard

There is always something that can be done. PMDG sets their own pricing policies, and there is no reason they cannot offer a discount to customers who already own one version, and would like to buy another. They simply choose not too, no matter what their reasoning. And this at its most basic level is disappointing as a consumer.

Matt Bernard

There was something done, as I mentioned in my first post, PMDG gave a discounted price for people who already owned the FSX version and wanted to purchase the license for the P3D version. It ran at a discount for a time frame for like a month or month and a half. So you can't say they didn't do something, because they did, but if you didn't take advantage of it, it's your fault not PMDG's.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There was something done, as I mentioned in my first post, PMDG gave a discounted price for people who already owned the FSX version and wanted to purchase the license for the P3D version. It ran at a discount for a time frame for like a month or month and a half. So you can't say they didn't do something, because they did, but if you didn't take advantage of it, it's your fault not PMDG's.

Sean Campbell

I am not saying they won't, I am not criticising them. It's just I am surprised that there isn't something set-up if someone wishes to do so, P3D looks to be the future; PMDG would make themselves and there life's easier if they encourage people to go over to a more stable platform.  Hopefully a 64GB version of P3D is in future plans. That's the only time I will leave FSX is if a 64GB version of the sim comes into fruition.

Either way, they have been brilliant in updating the 777.

Regards,
Robbie
Qualified Private Pilot - Check out my YouTube channel!  

The Grandad V2 - Prepar3D v4.5 HF2 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) | Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition | Intel i7 8700K 4.7GhZ  | Corsair H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler  | nVidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC GDDR5X | Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 RAM | 2x KIngston  240GB HyperX 3K SSD | 2TB WD  Ext SSD | Windows 10 Build 1903 Corsair RM Series 750X '80 + Gold' 750W Modular PSU | Windows 10 Build 19042

Hi all,

Interesting topic... While im still using FSX at the moment and probably will stuck with it as long as it is possible, I do understand the point here, asking bundle deals (again) etc. That would obviously lower the bar for many simmers to move from FSX to P3D. However, I do understand PMDG point as well. They are running a business here and not a charity.

Like myself, im sure many simmers has spent many thousand dollars/euros for their high end PC´s, the sim and all the bell´s and whistles in it, so in that perspective, is it that big deal investing couple of hundred dollars for a "totally new" sim experience that you choose yourself to move to?

I dont want to sound harsh or rude, so I hope no one takes this as any kind of insult - just saying...

Cheers

I have P3D but do not use it since the J41 is currently only for FSX. Once (if?) there is a P3D J41 I'll purchase it and say goodbye to FSX forever, to include all the money spent through the years on payware for FSX. I look at payware as entertainment value. That is, cost divided by number of hours flown = less then a soda per day and getting less by the day. Certainly less then a serious night out on the town! I understand PMDG's stance and as other have posted, will not criticize their business decisions and will continue to be a customer in the future. While it may be nice to trade one license in for a discount on another, not a show stopper.