Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Editing TOPCAT TORA TODA etc

Well i have started editing TOPCATs figures to match my LIDO charts. who else here has done this? i only fly to payware airports so haven't got all the FSX database to do lol

Vernon Howells

There has not been a post in that forum since January 18, 2015.

Can't have discussions there if everyone is posting TOPCAT/PFPX threads elsewhere, eh?

If you build it, they will come.

I'll make you all a deal. You post a thread over there, link to it here and I won't get on people's cases for off topic posts. Nobody is doing anybody a favor by posting TOPCAT/PFPX posts in a decentralized fashion.

Kyle Rodgers

Old topic but i think TOPCAT is dead, as i have been waiting over 3 weeks to get my account approved. But i'll mention my query here. Does everyone install the latest airac for TOPCAT each month? because whats happening is everytime i change the airports TORA ASDA etc its getting wiped with new airac update. I have tried everything to backup my database but it keeps wiping it.

Is there an actual need to update TOPCAT but rather update the airports yourself?

Vernon Howells

Is there an actual need to update TOPCAT but rather update the airports yourself?

Yeah, because certified TORA/ASDA/etc changes. Honestly, I'd default to the source your nav data provider is using rather than wherever you got the information.

Why do you think it needs to be changed?

Kyle Rodgers

Does everyone install the latest airac for TOPCAT each month? because whats happening is everytime i change the airports TORA ASDA etc its getting wiped with new airac update. I have tried everything to backup my database but it keeps wiping it.

Vernon

I have never updated TOPCAT. The Airport and Runway Database in TOPCAT I use is dated 26 Nov 2014 which is from when it was released for the PMDG 77LR and 777F. I didn't ever know it could be updated but it's listed in Navigraph for the current AIRAC. I just don't know what the NO in the TP column means.

The reason i'm changing is because the TORA, TODA, ASDA is all wrong in TOPCAT compared to my LIDO charts. So i wanted to correct the runway database with my LIDO charts that have the accurate runway figures

Vernon Howells

The reason i'm changing is because the TORA, TODA, ASDA is all wrong in TOPCAT compared to my LIDO charts. So i wanted to correct the runway database with my LIDO charts that have the accurate runway figures

So instead of having to overwrite it continuously, perhaps it might be useful to let the provider of the nav data know their data is incorrect.

Kyle Rodgers

Like i said that forum is dead! I've been waiting 3 weeks to have my account activated

Thats what i'm asking also, if i update the database myself only payware airports i use! Do i need to update TOPCAT with the latest airac?

Vernon Howells

Like i said that forum is dead! I've been waiting 3 weeks to have my account activated

I don't recall saying "post in their forums," but that's completely beside the point, because TOPCAT doesn't make the nav data - whoever you update the nav data with does. In my case, that would be Navigraph, so my report would go to: https://www.navigraph.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20&sid=5746a78f2e3a8a0814ffc30ada4a6785

...and even if you had to go through TOPCAT to get support, they don't use their forum for actual support, they have a page here: http://www.flightsimsoft.com/support/

Thats what i'm asking also, if i update the database myself only payware airports i use! Do i need to update TOPCAT with the latest airac?

Updating to the latest data is going to help ensure you have the most accurate data for all the airports it supports. If you're having to update the data, then something is wrong with their data (if you have a verifiable and reliable source, which I would consider LIDO to be, provided the charts you're referencing are current).

So, you can continue to overwrite bad data each time you update your nav data, or you can alert the provider to the discrepancy once and likely never have to do it again. I know which one I'd choose.

I just don't know what the NO in the TP column means.

From immediately above the TP column:

"AIRAC 1506 cycle - includes navaids, airports, airways and partly terminal procedures (see TP column below)"

(emphasis mine)

Kyle Rodgers

Well in that case i'll get intouch with navigraph and let them know there runway database is wrong compared to lido,

Thanks for the links.

Vernon Howells

From immediately above the TP column:

"AIRAC 1506 cycle - includes navaids, airports, airways and partly terminal procedures (see TP column below)"

(emphasis mine)

If it was a snake, it would have bit me. Thanks.

I doubt Topcat is dead considering it's made by the same people that make PFPX and I don't believe that is dead.... :)