Sign in to follow this  
gdavej

Two Problems

I just purchased PrecipitFX and installed it in P3Dv2.5, I initially installed all 4 effects. I'm getting a couple of issues:

The first issue: without using any weather engine, and selecting the Fair Weather theme in P3D, whilst in the aircraft, rain suddenly starts falling for a brief while. This has happened a couple of times, most notably when I was sat on the runway at Doha in Qatar... not a place renowned for it's monsoon season!

The second issue seemed to be caused by the Contrails effect. Directly behind the aircraft, whilst on the runway, I would see a large cloud appear, this happened both with propeller aircraft like the Constellation and a Jet fighter like the F16. At one time, whilst on the runway at Dallas Fort Worth, I saw some foggy cloud away from the aircraft around the terminal buildings. These effects can be seen below. When I uninstalled the contrails effect, the foggy cloud did not show.

b_082101.jpg

b_082111.jpg

I just purchased PrecipitFX and installed it in P3Dv2.5, I initially installed all 4 effects. I'm getting a couple of issues:

The first issue: without using any weather engine, and selecting the Fair Weather theme in P3D, whilst in the aircraft, rain suddenly starts falling for a brief while. This has happened a couple of times, most notably when I was sat on the runway at Doha in Qatar... not a place renowned for it's monsoon season!

The second issue seemed to be caused by the Contrails effect. Directly behind the aircraft, whilst on the runway, I would see a large cloud appear, this happened both with propeller aircraft like the Constellation and a Jet fighter like the F16. At one time, whilst on the runway at Dallas Fort Worth, I saw some foggy cloud away from the aircraft around the terminal buildings. These effects can be seen below. When I uninstalled the contrails effect, the foggy cloud did not show.

b_082101.jpg

b_082111.jpg

Hi,

There must be something wrong with your weather. PrecipitFX changes the rain and snow textures but not the weather logic.

Contrails are shown under a specific temperature. You might want to have a look at that in your weather menu. FSX and P3D are known to ignore some weather changes in the Weather menus. You might want to cycle through the list and see the results.

Does it happen with all aircraft?

What was the weather before you loaded the flight?

Have you changed it manually before?

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hi,

There must be something wrong with your weather. PrecipitFX changes the rain and snow textures but not the weather logic.

Contrails are shown under a specific temperature. You might want to have a look at that in your weather menu. FSX and P3D are known to ignore some weather changes in the Weather menus. You might want to cycle through the list and see the results.

Does it happen with all aircraft?

What was the weather before you loaded the flight?

Have you changed it manually before?

I tried cycling through all the weather themes, and they all seemed okay other than the Fair weather theme, which unfortunately is the one I always use. It was this theme that gave me the sudden onset of rain. I tried loading a Warbirdsim Mustang and using the Fair Weather theme, and this gave the following effect:

b_170518.jpg

Obviously, with that cloud on the front fuselage obscuring the view from the cockpit, the plane is practically unflyable. I also bought the 777 Immersion package and installed that at the same time... don't know if this has any impact? I can see that this package did install 3 additional weather themes.

Not sure what you mean when you ask "Have you changed it manually before?" When I create a simple scenario, I just select aircraft, location, weather (almost always FairWeather) and fly. And of course, I didn't notice any issues before installing PrecipitFX.

I tried cycling through all the weather themes, and they all seemed okay other than the Fair weather theme, which unfortunately is the one I always use. It was this theme that gave me the sudden onset of rain. I tried loading a Warbirdsim Mustang and using the Fair Weather theme, and this gave the following effect:

Obviously, with that cloud on the front fuselage obscuring the view from the cockpit, the plane is practically unflyable. I also bought the 777 Immersion package and installed that at the same time... don't know if this has any impact? I can see that this package did install 3 additional weather themes.

Not sure what you mean when you ask "Have you changed it manually before?" When I create a simple scenario, I just select aircraft, location, weather (almost always FairWeather) and fly. And of course, I didn't notice any issues before installing PrecipitFX.

777 Immersion does indeed add weather themes, but this should not affect others.

Have you tried uninstalling PreipitFX to see if it might be something else causing it?

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

777 Immersion does indeed add weather themes, but this should not affect others.

Have you tried uninstalling PreipitFX to see if it might be something else causing it?

I uninstalled PrecipitFX, and I still see the issue with the Mustang. I also uninstalled 777 Immersion, although I noticed that the additional weather themes still existed after the uninstall, so I'm not sure how effective the uninstall process was. I can't believe though that this issue is caused by some other addon, since all I've installed are aircraft and sceneries, and I didn't notice the problem until after I'd installed PrecipitFX.

I uninstalled PrecipitFX, and I still see the issue with the Mustang. I also uninstalled 777 Immersion, although I noticed that the additional weather themes still existed after the uninstall, so I'm not sure how effective the uninstall process was. I can't believe though that this issue is caused by some other addon, since all I've installed are aircraft and sceneries, and I didn't notice the problem until after I'd installed PrecipitFX.

Weather presets are installed with 777 Immersion and are left after the uninstall process since a lot of people would still use them and that they don't affect the good functioning of the simulator. PrecipitFX on the other hand does not include weather presets and restores all modified files when it is uninstalled.

If the issue is still visible after a complete uninstall of both products from the Install Utility, I'm sorry to say that the issue is not caused PrecipitFX or 777 Immersion. PrecipitFX has been out for 10 months now and despite the vast amount of customers that owns the product, we haven't had this issue before.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

If the issue is still visible after a complete uninstall of both products from the Install Utility, I'm sorry to say that the issue is not caused PrecipitFX or 777 Immersion. PrecipitFX has been out for 10 months now and despite the vast amount of customers that owns the product, we haven't had this issue before.

The issue has to have been caused by either PrecipitFX or 777Immersion, since it wasn't present before I installed those products. In addition, the effect I'm seeing appears to be typical of the intended effect of PreciptFX, albeit a rather magnified effect. The product might have been out for 10 months, but that doesn't imply the code is 100% bug free... I work in software development and I know there is no such thing as bug-free code.I would appreciate some assistance in tracking down this problem, since I am not prepared to spend a week re-installing P3Dv2.5 with all sceneries and aircraft I currently have installed.

The issue has to have been caused by either PrecipitFX or 777Immersion, since it wasn't present before I installed those products. In addition, the effect I'm seeing appears to be typical of the intended effect of PreciptFX, albeit a rather magnified effect. The product might have been out for 10 months, but that doesn't imply the code is 100% bug free... I work in software development and I know there is no such thing as bug-free code.I would appreciate some assistance in tracking down this problem, since I am not prepared to spend a week re-installing P3Dv2.5 with all sceneries and aircraft I currently have installed.

After a long hours of research, I was able to replicate the issue on my side. 

I traced it down to the fact that the latest version of P3D (v2.5) doesn't seem load weather presets properly from the presets folder. Loading the weather from "Fair Weather" for example would take the temperature from our "Cold Environment" preset for an unknown reason. I worked out a way to go around the problem by placing our presets at the end of the presets list... You can download this zip to try it out, simply drop & replace in your P3D directory. https://www.dropbox.com/s/am8ghy8ax60fahj/FSFX_IMP_weather_presets_P3D_temp_fix.zip?dl=0

Let me know if that solved the issue for you!

Thank you for reporting the issue, our apologies for the inconvenience.

Edited by Keven Menard
Found a workaround

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

I traced it down to the fact that the latest version of P3D (v2.5) doesn't seem load weather presets properly from the presets folder. Loading the weather from "Fair Weather" for example would take the temperature from our "Cold Environment" preset for an unknown reason. I worked out a way to go around the problem by placing our presets at the end of the presets list... You can download this zip to try it out, simply drop & replace in your P3D directory. https://www.dropbox.com/s/am8ghy8ax60fahj/FSFX_IMP_weather_presets_P3D_temp_fix.zip?dl=0

Yes, that did the trick. Looks like P3Dv2.5 is in need of another hotfix. I guess this problem affects every weather preset, I thought I'd seen some behaviour in your weather themes that didn't seem to tally with the description, obviously this is the cause of that too.

Many thanks for tracking it down.

Just wanted to jump in the thread to thank you also, I was getting this issue also, only after I installed PrecipitFX. Will try that dropbox file also if you don't mind :) 

Ps. Keep up the amazing work, PrecipitFX is the best thing that's happened to the sim as far as visuals and effects go.. I'm alwasy astounded at the eye for detail you guys have! 

John