Sign in to follow this  
757 Fanatic

4k monitor gives higher FPS with no noticeable loss of quality

I am running X-Plane on a 4K monitor at 30-40FPS in New York suburbs/airport + weather + plugins + HS scenery. On my 1080P monitor, the MSAA was set to 8x (maximum) and gave the same FPS but at 4 times less resolution! On my 4K monitor, I have MSAA set to 4X (second highest setting) and get 30-40 FPS in New York and over 100 FPS flying at altitude with a high cloud draw distance. There is no loss of picture quality between these two settings, and 4K monitor gives better performance and overall picture quality. Never again will I be gaming on 1080P monitors. 

My CPU is 4.6GHZ OC i7 4790 and GTX 970.

Has anyone else here noticed this too?

Absolutely, totally hooked on 4K monitors, Samsung 28" in my case. My main sim is Prepar3d v2.5 using a smaller monitor as a GPS screen with the excellent Flight1 GN 750

I don't have one but have a question.  Are those monitor's 30Hz refresh rate?  Do you see any jitters in mouse movement etc?

I don't have one but have a question.  Are those monitor's 30Hz refresh rate?  Do you see any jitters in mouse movement etc?

They are 30HZ if you connect them with an HDMI lead. I am using a display port cable and have set a 60HZ refresh rate! 

It looks stunning...

Wow, I wish I can get the same FPS on my Samsung 4K, also using display port @60hz, but averaging in the teens at airports.

however, I believe my disadvantage is my dual SLI configured Nvidia 660ti  as more than likely outdated vs the newer GTX979 & 980...

-Dan

My rig: 4.2 OC i7 4790, 8GB RAM, & dual SLI GTX660ti

Wow, I wish I can get the same FPS on my Samsung 4K, also using display port @60hz, but averaging in the teens at airports.

however, I believe my disadvantage is my dual SLI configured Nvidia 660ti  as more than likely outdated vs the newer GTX979 & 980...

-Dan

My rig: 4.2 OC i7 4790, 8GB RAM, & dual SLI GTX660ti

X-plane does not support SLI at all. So you're just running with a single GTX660ti. I am using a GTX 970 and am getting 30-40 FPS at Heathrow, JFK with high/ultra settings!

MSAA? Are you using HDR? cause Xplane in HDR mode uses SSAA

X-plane does not support SLI at all. So you're just running with a single GTX660ti. I am using a GTX 970 and am getting 30-40 FPS at Heathrow, JFK with high/ultra settings!

Ah...I forgot to mention, I am running P3D & FSX:Steam...I don't have Xplane...sorry, forgot to to realized I was in the Xplane side of the forum, thought I was in P3dD...

Dan

I agree. I get very high fps running at 4K on my Sony TV using a GTX 970 (60 hrz). I was surprised. And at that resolution, I can leave AA on low. It looks really great, especially with good photo scenery.

Well could you please post a show of your settings and some shots around new york ?

Kinda interesting

Well could you please post a show of your settings and some shots around new york ?

Kinda interesting

Here are some photos. You can see my FPS in the top left plugin. The pics look crappier than what I see in game because my camera is always moving with a plugin

WVMYMrd.png

QHTCMM0.jpg

0ffHbrD.jpg

i2tBtEg.jpg

DSRAB0g.jpg

RUXJdRy.jpg

This is the INTERESTING comparison. 

Now look at the FPS difference between these two photos. The first photo has 8X (higest rendering) and my FPS is around 17. 

aukzIF0.jpg

Now look at this photo. With 2x rendering and my FPS is a butter smooth 33 FPS. And yet, the loss of picture quality is negligible.  (Both are 4k resolution)...

c6gnJh4.jpg

Now look at this photo. With 2x rendering and my FPS is a butter smooth 33 FPS. And yet, the loss of picture quality is negligible.  (Both are 4k resolution)...

Thats because in 4K, you really don't need much anti-aliasing.