Sign in to follow this  
lukehall

PMDG NGX/777 & Aerosoft Airbus SP3

Hello,

Firstly, I wasn't sure where to place this topic but as I've been dragged kicking and screaming over to P3D, I thought I'd start here... (despite the cost of buying lots of stuff again, I'm glad I did though  :P )

Briefly, I'm a die hard PMDG NGX/777 user. I only use them because they are the only simulations which offer a sufficient level of fidelity to keep me interested - I'm also an avid DCS and PSX user for the same reason. For me, depth of systems modelling and realism in conjunction with performance and procedural authenticity are the things that immerse me and PMDG has provided that hands down.

However... I am also fascinated by the Airbus philosophy and would really like to broaden my horizons with a new aircraft.

I have read many reviews of the AS Airbus X platform, and a fair bit on the latest rendition but there is very little out there which gives an in-depth review on the latest SP3 offering. Importantly, the reviews never offer up an evaluation in the context of how it compares to the PMDG aircraft when it comes to simulation fidelity. most agree that it's a great simulation, but the question in my mind is "compared to what?"

Has anyone here got experience of both and willing to offer me an objective opinion? Will the latest Airbus float my boat in the same way, or will I be frustrated by lack of depth, realism and inaccurate or missing systems modelling?

By the way - I don't want to enter into a Boeing/Airbus debate! It's purely about how detailed and accurate the simulation is!  :rolleyes:

Very best wishes,

Luke

It depends on how in depth you need.  I am a pmdg 737 777 kind of guy.  I like going through the manuals and finding the particular behavior of each little system.  I like to run abnormal procedures from bleed off take off to L and right engine fire with apu failure, cabin depressurization with failure of the RAT over the Atlantic Ocean.  (did not end well :P )

The PMDG aircraft are perfect for that, simulating the non normal procedures.

The aerosoft airbus is fantastic too, when it comes to simulating the day to day operations of the captain.  This goes to say that if you want full systems simulation, which you really don't need on a A to B flight, the aerosoft will be lacking in extra, lesser used systems.  For simple A to B with "VNAV and LNAV" (in Boeing terms) the MCDU works, the FCU works, most of the commonly used overhead works, and the FBW is the best on the market.  You will be able to run normal procedures to the fullest, but not abnormal.

Hope this helps,

Hi Luke

I have both developer's aircraft, i.e. the 777/NGX in P3D, and the Airbus Extended twin package in P3D too. And I'd put my hand up and say the Airbuses give me the same in-depth immersion as the PMDG aircraft do. The modelling a textures are on par. Using FS2Crew  for both, I find the immersion of setting up the FMC/FMS just as intensive. The Airbus has a slightly different A/T that can catch one out compared to the PMDG aircraft and it s a FBW aircraft. To hand-fly it is a joy. The instrumentation and lighting is a joy to use, although if I had one gripe it'd be that unlike the PMDG when in VC, if I click on the FMC display, it pops-up whereas the Airbus does not and one has to cycle the views to get a close-up.

As you have already noted, there are a lot of simmers out here who are equally happy with their Airbus X as they are with their PMDG stable.

Well lets cut to the chase,

I have all 3 and have done since release, A day to day flight in the Airbus is fine and its a change from the PMDG 777- NG

I would say it's nice for a change but it does not have the feeling of the PMDG products. 

I fly it once in a blue moon, nothing comes close to the PMDG's 

Its little things like you cannot have the terrain on the FO side or set different rangers on the map etc as the FO side its just a mirror of the captains side. Useing PFPX-Topcat etc is of little use.

I could go on but then you run into " its not designed to be a PMDG product, So dont expect it to be one".

It is what it is. It works fine but its a thin vale that if your a big time PMDG user you will see very fast. Keep within its built in limits and it does fine.

Its nice and has some nice features and if you want a bus then its currently the best out there. I'am not knocking it just warning you it is what it is.

Ask yourself why your thinking of buying it?

For a change? If so it will be but it wont last long before your back in the NG and you think wow nothing comes close to this. Then the bus will just sit like me in the hanger. I just dont like the way Air bus's work Boeing to me feel right, it just might be am so use to them.

Am waiting for FSLabs Airbus but that's a joke in itself. P3D v6 will be out by then, 5 years and counting.....if it does ever see the light of day it will be the PMDG version of the Bus.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

The airbus systems simulation is not at the same level as the PMDGs.  If you jump in the VC and start trying all switches to see if everything works, you may be quickly disappointed.  That being said, Aerosoft's design scope for the airbus has always been an in-depth sim of the airbus' NORMAL operation.  And I think they have achieved that goal quite nicely. 

Regarding SP3, it was a major update and the top piece of it is the shared cockpit function.  But unfortunately it was not, and by Aerosoft's own admission, a good initial release.  They have since then spending a lot of time addressing reported issues.  At this point the bug reports have pretty much died down and I suppose they are working hard on a problem-free SP3.1, which I am patiently waiting for before I install the bus back into my P3D.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

I have the 777 and all of the Airbus offerings. This question is one that has and will always be asked. And the answer will always depend on the user.

As others have rightly stated above the pmdg is fully in depth with the Airbus being a lesser detailed model in terms of its systems. But I think it's horses for courses here, the Airbus has never been marketed to be die hard in depth and so it should not really be compared to the 777 as they target two different areas of the market.

That said for someone like myself who doesn't have the time or inclination to go right in to the depths of the aircraft both would easily fulfil my needs, with the pmdg perhaps being a bit wasted on me. But if you really want the extra detail the. The Airbus won't provide this to the same level.

Service pack 3 brings with it shared cockpit for Airbus and a few further refinements. And of course there will be the a330 in the future.

I would say they are well worth the purchase and great for simple flights from a to b. Great eye candy and good performance. Lots of fun to get used to the Airbus specific aspects. I prefer the ease of flying the Airbus with respect to the FBW it's a great add on to any collection.

Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Thanks to everyone for these informative and helpful replies :-)

I think that on balance, the combined weight of what you've all told me probably confirms my expectations - namely that the Airbus is very good at what it is designed for but doesn't quite match the PMDG for in depth simulation.

I think based on that, I'll hold off and hope a full blown 'study sim' Airbus hits the market before too long!

Thanks again!

Well lets cut to the chase,

I have all 3 and have done since release, A day to day flight in the Airbus is fine and its a change from the PMDG 777- NG

I would say it's nice for a change but it does not have the feeling of the PMDG products. 

I fly it once in a blue moon, nothing comes close to the PMDG's 

Its little things like you cannot have the terrain on the FO side or set different rangers on the map etc as the FO side its just a mirror of the captains side. Useing PFPX-Topcat etc is of little use.

I could go on but then you run into " its not designed to be a PMDG product, So dont expect it to be one".

It is what it is. It works fine but its a thin vale that if your a big time PMDG user you will see very fast. Keep within its built in limits and it does fine.

Its nice and has some nice features and if you want a bus then its currently the best out there. I'am not knocking it just warning you it is what it is.

Ask yourself why your thinking of buying it?

For a change? If so it will be but it wont last long before your back in the NG and you think wow nothing comes close to this. Then the bus will just sit like me in the hanger. I just dont like the way Air bus's work Boeing to me feel right, it just might be am so use to them.

Am waiting for FSLabs Airbus but that's a joke in itself. P3D v6 will be out by then, 5 years and counting.....if it does ever see the light of day it will be the PMDG version of the Bus.

Cheers! Very helpful. :-)

Luke

Luke, the Airbus is actually a nice change from the 737 and 777. For the price, you get a lot of airplane (or airplanes if you buy both packages). It is actually a solid Airbus simulation, even though the systems depth may not be what you want. For those days you just want a normal flight using normal ops (which is probably 98% of what happens in the real world) it fits the bill quite nicely. It's worth having in your hangar and is a nice addon to get yourself familiar with the Airbus until the FSLabs version (which by the way will only feature the A320) is released. And that could be a while.

I think based on that, I'll hold off and hope a full blown 'study sim' Airbus hits the market before too long!

I think you should get it...The A3xx is nice to fly for a change from the PMDG 777. ITs VC is fantastic...and why not fly tje A3xx without problems from A to B. The price is reasonable too. Totally worth it IMO.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

The A3xx is nice to fly for a change from the PMDG 777. ITs VC is fantastic...and why not fly tje A3xx without problems from A to B. The price is reasonable too. Totally worth it IMO.

Could not agree more. Been doing nothing but flying this for the last 4 days, short flights all over Europe.