Sign in to follow this  
tupolev-154

Memory problems?

Hello

I've tried to fly with my MD-11 from KSLC to KSEA. Everthing ran well so far. But after having intercepted ILS 34C (about 10 miles before touchdown at KSEA)

the autopilot did not disengage properly (pitch was blocked) - this was my first attempt. At the second one I was on the approach

of 34C and everything ran properly, however 5 miles before touchdown I received the FSX message: "no response".

I have used MD-11 many times in Europe, even with "real weather" and complexe sceneries and had no similar problems.

My question: is it a Memory Problem (I recently installed ORBX PAC NW but I didn't activate "North America", knowing that PMDG itself uses

a lot of Memory. But I used ORBX weather scenery which is more or less static).

I did not have those problems with iFly B737 NG by the way but iFly has not the same requirements of Memory.

I would be grateful if anybody could tell me how to proceed.

Thank you.

Peter

LSZH

Sorry i forgot to give details of my system:

Windows7 Pro 64 Bit
IntelCore i7 CPU 3,2GHz; physical Memory 6,1GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX570
FSX Prof./AccPack; Switzerland Prof; Austria Prof., REXessential+overdrive; ORBX Pacific Northwest

Peter Beringer

(GIGABYTE UD3H i7 4790K 4.00GHz - 16GB RAM - GTX 970 - Win7 64 bit - 1 TB SSD P3D V3

- 500GB SSD FSX - PMDG MD-11/FSX; 777-200 + 737/Prepar3d V3)

My question: is it a Memory Problem (I recently installed ORBX PAC NW but I didn't activate "North America", knowing that PMDG itself uses

The MD-11 does not use a lot of memory.  I don't remember exactly how much it uses. When I was having VAS issues with the PMDG 77LRX and using Process Explorer to measure VAS I decided to monitor the MD-11, NGX, and T7. The MD-11 with the addons did not even come close to the 4GB limit. I don't think VAS even reached 3GB. So I discontinued monitoring the MD-11 flights. It's not a MD-11 issue.

Your memory of 6GB looks odd. What's the deal?

I am doing a flight with the T7 right now. When the flight is complete I will load the MD-11 and see what it shows as far as VAS being used. I am thinking that may be your 6 GB is not enough for your computer. Even if you only run FSX and ASN there are about 50-70 Window Services running also. I want to see how much memory these services use. Right now FSX is using 2.4GB and ASN .7GB. ASN does not run in the 4GB allocated to FSX. The ASN program operates above the 4GB. The weather depicted by ASN in the form of clouds, storms, and etc will go into FSX and effect your 4GB of memory but the program itself will not.

The Trike with clear skies uses 1.4GB and the MD-11 with clear skies uses 1.9GB. So with the MD-11 you still have available 2.1GB before you would exhaust the available memory. Where the problem comes in is the fact that you have 6GB of memory and Window Services is using a ton of it. The first ten items excluding FSX are using 1.9GB. I have the Services listed by memory usage from the highest to lowest. But you still have another 40 to 50 services to add to the 1.9GB used by the first 10. Run Windows Live Mail and it is 487MB, Internet Explorer is 348MB, and it goes on and on. Your Window Services and programs combined with FSX bring your computer to its knees.

Process Explorer can be downloaded here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx.

Have a look at this post about 75% of the way down the page - http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html. Part 19. Window Services tells you what can be done about it.

I think you need 8GB of memory. May be someone else will chime in with some other ideas.

Thank you very much for the detailed information.

I think (I hope) I've understood everything correctly so that I can take some measures to unburden the the computer from those Window Services and programs. On the other hand it's planned to replace the current system by an actual one so that these problems can be solved.

Regards

Peter

LSZH

Peter Beringer

(GIGABYTE UD3H i7 4790K 4.00GHz - 16GB RAM - GTX 970 - Win7 64 bit - 1 TB SSD P3D V3

- 500GB SSD FSX - PMDG MD-11/FSX; 777-200 + 737/Prepar3d V3)

unburden the the computer from those Window Services and programs

Be sure to follow 19. Window Services in the second link.

Quit a few of the Services must remain enabled. Hope this helps.