Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Requesting updated United cockpit configuration

United has changed their fleet to the regular ND/PFD layout from the old side by side. Can someone provide an updated cockpit layout config? I just downloaded the PMDG United repaint and it still has the old cockpit layout

Thank you

David Lee

Can someone provide an updated cockpit layout config? I just downloaded the PMDG United repaint and it still has the old cockpit layout

You can adjust this on your own by going into the MENU pages of the CDU. The various options and what each setting means is explained, in detail, in the Intro Manual. Once you change the setting, that livery will keep that setting until you change it back.

Kyle Rodgers

You can adjust this on your own by going into the MENU pages of the CDU. The various options and what each setting means is explained, in detail, in the Intro Manual. Once you change the setting, that livery will keep that setting until you change it back.

I know how to change it and have done this, but was hoping for a more official ini file, because I can only guess by squinting at pictures from airliners.net I do not have any insight into settings that can not easily be seen thru pictures. So far what I have seen looking at pictures online is PFD/ND NPS is enabled, but am not sure what else. No AOA or groundspeed display I do not think either. Not sure about range rings or others. David Lee

I know how to change it and have done this, but was hoping for a more official ini file, because I can only guess by squinting at pictures from airliners.net I do not have any insight into settings that can not easily be seen thru pictures. So far what I have seen looking at pictures online is PFD/ND NPS is enabled, but am not sure what else. No AOA or groundspeed display I do not think either. Not sure about range rings or others. David Lee

If you can source it, let us know. We're only able to make the inis more accurate through people helping us find sources, honestly.

Kyle Rodgers

One of our virtual airline's checkpilots, a RL United employee and pilot in training, posted this configuration as being somewhat current:

Quote - "The config for our "new" airplanes. NOTE: PMDG is now "behind" our brand new planes. This is not 100% accurate to the real world planes due to MSFS limitations. Also, some of the callouts are marked as a 1 (yes) because that is a real-world PM (Pilot Monitoring) callout, however, I elected to use MSFS as my PM.

This is from the PMDG Operations Center, 737NGX, Aircraft Specific Settings, 737-800WL
*This is a work in progress...enjoy!"

0 = No
1 = Yes

[Displays]
Glass_PFD_ND=1
PFD_low_airspeed_alert=1
PFD_groundspeed_displayed=1
PFD_Vref_plus_20_bug=1
PFD_100knot_bug=0
PFD_rising_runway=1
PFD_split_axis_flight_director=1
PFD_pitch_limit_indicator_popup=1
PFD_radio_altitude_round_dial=0
PFD_angle_of_attack_dial=0
PFD_landing_altitude_bar=0
PFD_2500_height_alert=1
PFD_show_landing_flaps=0
EFISMAP_radio_altitude_round_dial=0
EFISMAP_80knot_bug=0
EFISMAP_flight_path_vector=0
ND_trackUp=1
ND_VOR_course_lines_displayed=1
ND_VerticalSituationDisplay=1
ND_RangeArcs=1
ND_TCAS_RangeRing=1
PFD_ND_NPS=1
Engines_SideBySideDisplay=0
Engines_ColorChangeInhibit_5minutes=0
Engines_ColorChangeInhibit_10minutes=0
Engines_LowOilQuantityInverseVideo=1
Engines_HighVibrationAlert=1
Engines_ShowRefN1=2
Engines_ShowOilQPercentage=1
Engines_ShowMaxContLines=0
Fuel_LowAlertBelow1000lbs=0
Fuel_TOTALDisplay=1
MFD_FlightControlSurfacesIndicator=0
MFD_BrakeTemperatureIndicator=0
[Engines]
Engines_DoubleDerate=0
[MCP]
MCPType=1
[AFS]
ThrottleATOverride=0
WingsLevelatTO=1
AllowGSCaptureBeforeLoc=0
AutotuneOBSinLOC=1
AP_EngageRealistic=1
RollOutEnabled=0
[FMS]
DefaultAccelHeight=800
DefaultReductionAlt=800
DefaultCutBackAlt=800
DefaultRestoreAlt=3000
DefaultTransAlt=18000
[GPWS]
GPWS_AltCallouts=1
GPWS_2500_RA=0
GPWS_2500=1
GPWS_1000=1 (PM Callout)
GPWS_500=1 (PM Callout)
GPWS_400=0
GPWS_300=0
GPWS_200=0
GPWS_100=0
GPWS_50=1
GPWS_40=1
GPWS_30=1
GPWS_20=1
GPWS_10=1
GPWS_MinimumsType=1 (PM Callout)
GPWS_AprMinimumsType=4 (PM Callout)
GPWS_WarnBankAngle=1
GPWS_TerrPeaksMode=1
GPWS_TerrUseCyan=0
GPWS_V1Callout=1 (PM Callout)
[TCAS]
TCAS_ShowAllTraffic=0
TCAS_FilterRange=40
TCAS_FilterSeparation=2800
[Airframe]
ShortFieldPackage=0 (mainly used on the -900ER)
FlightTestPackage=0
SteelBrakePackage=0 (Or use Carbon Brakes)
DualBatteryPackage=0
JumpSeat=0
Yoke CheckList L=0
Yoke CheckList R=0
ETOPS=1
DualCargoBottleSystem=1
SingleClassCabin=0
EyebrowWindows=0
SatcomAntenna=2
ISFDInstalled=1
HGSInstalled=0
HGS_AutoAIII=0
HGS_GSrefInPRI=0
[units]
MetricWeightUnits=0

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

One of our virtual airline's checkpilots, a RL United employee and pilot in training, posted this configuration as being somewhat current:

Quote - "The config for our "new" airplanes. NOTE: PMDG is now "behind" our brand new planes. This is not 100% accurate to the real world planes due to MSFS limitations. Also, some of the callouts are marked as a 1 (yes) because that is a real-world PM (Pilot Monitoring) callout, however, I elected to use MSFS as my PM.

This is from the PMDG Operations Center, 737NGX, Aircraft Specific Settings, 737-800WL

*This is a work in progress...enjoy!"

0 = No

1 = Yes

[Displays]

Glass_PFD_ND=1

PFD_low_airspeed_alert=1

PFD_groundspeed_displayed=1

PFD_Vref_plus_20_bug=1

PFD_100knot_bug=0

PFD_rising_runway=1

PFD_split_axis_flight_director=1

PFD_pitch_limit_indicator_popup=1

PFD_radio_altitude_round_dial=0

PFD_angle_of_attack_dial=0

PFD_landing_altitude_bar=0

PFD_2500_height_alert=1

PFD_show_landing_flaps=0

EFISMAP_radio_altitude_round_dial=0

EFISMAP_80knot_bug=0

EFISMAP_flight_path_vector=0

ND_trackUp=1

ND_VOR_course_lines_displayed=1

ND_VerticalSituationDisplay=1

ND_RangeArcs=1

ND_TCAS_RangeRing=1

PFD_ND_NPS=1

Engines_SideBySideDisplay=0

Engines_ColorChangeInhibit_5minutes=0

Engines_ColorChangeInhibit_10minutes=0

Engines_LowOilQuantityInverseVideo=1

Engines_HighVibrationAlert=1

Engines_ShowRefN1=2

Engines_ShowOilQPercentage=1

Engines_ShowMaxContLines=0

Fuel_LowAlertBelow1000lbs=0

Fuel_TOTALDisplay=1

MFD_FlightControlSurfacesIndicator=0

MFD_BrakeTemperatureIndicator=0

[Engines]

Engines_DoubleDerate=0

[MCP]

MCPType=1

[AFS]

ThrottleATOverride=0

WingsLevelatTO=1

AllowGSCaptureBeforeLoc=0

AutotuneOBSinLOC=1

AP_EngageRealistic=1

RollOutEnabled=0

[FMS]

DefaultAccelHeight=800

DefaultReductionAlt=800

DefaultCutBackAlt=800

DefaultRestoreAlt=3000

DefaultTransAlt=18000

[GPWS]

GPWS_AltCallouts=1

GPWS_2500_RA=0

GPWS_2500=1

GPWS_1000=1 (PM Callout)

GPWS_500=1 (PM Callout)

GPWS_400=0

GPWS_300=0

GPWS_200=0

GPWS_100=0

GPWS_50=1

GPWS_40=1

GPWS_30=1

GPWS_20=1

GPWS_10=1

GPWS_MinimumsType=1 (PM Callout)

GPWS_AprMinimumsType=4 (PM Callout)

GPWS_WarnBankAngle=1

GPWS_TerrPeaksMode=1

GPWS_TerrUseCyan=0

GPWS_V1Callout=1 (PM Callout)

[TCAS]

TCAS_ShowAllTraffic=0

TCAS_FilterRange=40

TCAS_FilterSeparation=2800

[Airframe]

ShortFieldPackage=0 (mainly used on the -900ER)

FlightTestPackage=0

SteelBrakePackage=0 (Or use Carbon Brakes)

DualBatteryPackage=0

JumpSeat=0

Yoke CheckList L=0

Yoke CheckList R=0

ETOPS=1

DualCargoBottleSystem=1

SingleClassCabin=0

EyebrowWindows=0

SatcomAntenna=2

ISFDInstalled=1

HGSInstalled=0

HGS_AutoAIII=0

HGS_GSrefInPRI=0

[units]

MetricWeightUnits=0

Thanks. That's great. This is just what Im looking for. One little thing though, none of the screenshots I have seen show the range rings. Are you sure they are enabled?

As you can see, TCAS OFF is on the ND, that means the range rings, if enabled, would be shown

http://www.airliners.net/photo/United-Airlines/Boeing-737-824/2377665/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/United-Airlines/Boeing-737-824/2471593/L/

Until I get the time to double check this it will remain tentative but I'm almost certain that any aircraft that is ETOPS certified must have the Dual Battery Pack.  Thus, "dual battery = 1".

This is most helpful for duplicating United's 737s and is most appreciated.  Please accept my thanks for posting it.  

HGSInstalled=0

HGS_AutoAIII=0

HGS_GSrefInPRI=0

You mean you cannot perform a full autoland with this config??? :o WOW! those pilot guy's shure now they're job!

You mean you cannot perform a full autoland with this config??? :o WOW! those pilot guy's shure now they're job!

??? United doesn't have HGS, but why couldn't you perform an autoland because of those settings?

Andrew Crowley

Folks:

Glad to be of some help on this United config, which, again, I'm merely passing along from someone I believe to be knowledgeable. I'm unable to verify or address any particular aspect of this config, sorry. I do know that HGS is not required for autoland capabilities, as Stermandriver points out.

Finally, full names are required for participation on this forum, thanks.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Pilots start out landing planes that don't even have hydraulics, radar, anti-ice, autopilot, and sometimes even without GPS. Heck, I started flying in a plane what had LORAN (had what??? yeah, exactly), and occasionally flew others where you actually just had to look at the ground and compare it to a chart to figure out where you were (that was fun while trying to avoid the IAD Class B airspace). Autoland is something some of us never see in our entire piloting career.

Heck, you can even be pretty precise when hand flying. I flew this entire flight by hand:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N571DS/history/20150520/1645Z/KHGR/KOXB

While it starts out a little shaky (I was busy accepting reroutes early on - note the filed route versus what was actually flown - while fighting gusty wind), it's reasonably precise for being all done by hand. Automagic isn't everything.

The simism that autolands are the norm is completely false. Just about any pilot up front surely knows his or her job, particularly when it comes to landing by hand. Autolands are only done rarely for weather and currency.

??? United doesn't have HGS, but why couldn't you perform an autoland because of those settings?

A HGS is NOT required for autoland. It allows lower minimums for the operator that would otherwise require autoland. SWA, as an example, has this exemption. I believe FDX does as well, using an STC'd ("aftermarket") HGS in their 777s.

The flags Artur quoted only set the HGS active/inactive, and allow the HGS display controller to automatically switch the the AIII display mode if all the checks are passed.

Kyle Rodgers

^^^ was my point, summed up nicely. At my airline, we can do handflown AIIIs with the HGS, or autolands, or a hybrid - an autoland monitored with the HGS AIII and rollout guidance modes. A hybrid buys us another 100 feet of RVR and a DH of 30ft. But yes, none of that's the norm (though it can start to feel like it in a PNW winter lol).

Andrew Crowley

Folks:

Glad to be of some help on this United config, which, again, I'm merely passing along from someone I believe to be knowledgeable. I'm unable to verify or address any particular aspect of this config, sorry. I do know that HGS is not required for autoland capabilities, as Stermandriver points out.

Finally, full names are required for participation on this forum, thanks.

Thank you for providing it. Does anyone know the cost index used by the 737 United fleet?

Does anyone know the cost index used by the 737 United fleet?

I don't imagine United has one cost index that is used for there fleet. Each flight probably has a different cost index based upon several factors. I use an index from 30 to 50 depending upon how long I want the fight to last and how fast do I want to descend. Lower number - longer flight time, higher number - shorter flight time.

The flags Artur quoted only set the HGS active/inactive, and allow the HGS display controller to automatically switch the the AIII display mode if all the checks are passed.

Right! I mean what the intro.pdf say:"HGS AUTO AIII MODE: This option determines whether your HGS includes the Autoland AIII mode for use during instrument approaches. The AIII mode improves pilot situational awareness during low approaches by providing additional information such as the runway outline displayed on the HGS in front of the pilot’s eyes during the final phase of an instrument approach."

Lower number - longer flight time, higher number - shorter flight time.

Now this confuse me! I notice that B747 and B777 comes by default with cost index 80, while B737 or A320 - A321 comes with cost index 40. So assuming that what you say is right, should be wrong the cost index. How do you know what cost index is right? I mean depends by company, or what? Or by the aircraft you use, or distance you fly?