Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Scotland 2: Going to the Beach - the Outer Hebrides

Scotland 2: Going to the Beach - the Outer Hebrides

The second of our Scotland flights takes us the length of the Outer Hebrides, the remote island chain that lays off the north-west coast of Scotland.  We will start at Prestwick (EGPK), Glasgow's second airport, and fly first to Campbeltown (EGEC), where the former military airfield boasts the longest runway in Scotland. From here we head to the first of our island stops at Colonsay (EGEY), before continuing to Tiree (EGPU) and its near neighbour Coll (EGEL). Next up is the unique Barra (EGPR), the only airport in the world where scheduled flights use a beach as a runway. Our penultimate stop is at Benbecula (EGPL) before we finish at Stornoway (EGPO).

None of the airfields themselves are particularly problematic in good conditions - but good conditions can be a rare event around here!  Might be worth brushing up your crosswind approaches for this one.....

Recommended aircraft:  the scheduled service from Glasgow to the beach at Barra is flown by Flybe / Loganair Twin Otter, so this would be the ideal appropriate equipment for the trip.  Otherwise, an aircraft capable of around 140kts.  Normal wheels are fine for the beach landing in FSX.  I will fly the Aerosoft Twin Otter in the Scillies Skybus livery.

Recommended scenery:

- Orbx Scotland

- UK2000 Prestwick (freeware or payware versions available)

Flightplans:

- FSX

- Plan-G

- Skyvector

Full package inlcuding flight plans and narrative can be downloaded here.

Date and time: Saturday 23rd May, 1800 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

Don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer speadsheet! (linked here)

I'd like to add, that a good water texture set is installed as you'll be seeing quite a lot of it! :BigGrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I long for the day when Multiplayer is available for P3D. This sounds like a lot of fun to be part of, but regrettably I cannot.

I long for the day when Multiplayer is available for P3D. This sounds like a lot of fun to be part of, but regrettably I cannot.

You could always reinstall FSX +DX10. You'll hardly notice the difference. B)

Thanks for that suggestion, Ron. I have first to clear up some SSD drive space. Sorely tempting.

Gents,

Once again I will be flying the Corby... (Same exact as last week)

1. I Like it
  2. Doesn't "Corby" sound a bit Scottish?
  3. Been sucking at landings. Either coming in a bit high and stalling her a bit high and planting it like potatoes, or, hitting the ground tailwheel first. - Neither of which is good for a wood framed aeroplane of that size. Need practice.
  4. You be lucky I didn't pick the Bearcat!   :LMAO:

But.... Of course I will be modifying this little "EXPERIMENTAL" ( Cause I can ) and taking out the Jabiru 2200, due to regulations of flight using this power plant.  The replacement will be the AeroVee Turbo, upping horsepower to 100 from 85. The performance at altitude will be enhanced to 8000 feet for the little bugger.

To see the "light" go here after getting the "proxy" or used aircraft.

Cya Saturday.

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Doesn't "Corby" sound a bit Scottish?

No, it sounds like a trouser press! :lol:

Technically speaking, runway 11/29 at EGEC Campbeltown (3049 metres when it was RAF Machrihanish) is not the longest runway in Scotland anymore, since around 1300 metres is now disused. The current length of the operational section of the runway is 1750 metres. I think that makes runway 13/31 at EGPK Prestwick (2987 metres) the longest operational runway in Scotland today.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Aagh, RAF Machrihanish, what nostalgia of RAF service there.

Thanks Christopher, I'm glad that's sorted out! -_-

I will be joining the flight in a LoganAir / Flybe Twin Otter

flybe%2Bdhc6.jpg

The original link I put in the spreadsheet was to the Twin Otter version 1 paint.  I have corrected the spreadsheet for version 2.  The correct link is:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/files/file/2164-flybe-loganair-g-bvvk/

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

You could always reinstall FSX +DX10. You'll hardly notice the difference. B)

Will FSX-SE+DX10 suffice? And can I make the flights, load scenery etc in P3D?