Sign in to follow this  
Gregdpw

Rex soft clouds worth it?

i see that Rex soft clouds is on sale. I have been using rex4 and asn for a year now. And very very happy with it. Just wondering if I will notice a difference right away with the low level clouds? What do ya guys think?

Some people say they dont see much difference with the REX4 textures at 512 resolution and others say Soft Clouds looks much more natural. Personally I think Soft Clouds looks more realistic and less 'painted' and I'm very happy with this upgrade.

If you decide to buy it, dont forget there is an update on the REX forums to integrate Soft Clouds into REX4

Cheers!

Maarten

I just use 512 px REX clouds and think they look fine. I would try that first before buying. Nothing to lose.

The guys on our team think that REX Soft Clouds are excellent.  Our team has run them at 1024 and higher resolution.

In the sake of full disclosure I'll tell you that our team works with REX Studios, however we did not evaluate REX Soft Clouds for the company so I'll hope you'll take this as being unbiased.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Definitely worth it; very very satisfied with the quality and realism of REX Soft Clouds.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

I personally think very highly of the Soft Clouds add-in; especially for flying in mountainous / rough terrain.  99% of the time they completely eliminate any flashing or hard edges of where clouds meet terrain, which helps makes things look far more realistic.

The also do a great job in helping to simulate low level poor visibility.  Last night I took a flight from KPSP northwest into the LA region; ASN combined with Soft Clouds did a very, very superb job of presenting a transition from being clear with good visibility to what was most definitely not.  The best part was that I could see it as I approached.  It looked very, very realistic.

The only thing I noted is that when using ASN, I had to ease up on some of my settings such as number of cloud layers, otherwise I could notice a definite hit on performance when using high levels of AA.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Rex Soft Clouds made a huge impact on the visual quality and speed at which my simulation run.s   Highly recommend it.   My favorite cloud set so far is #11 if you have the stand alone Soft Clouds, or #27 if you have it linked to REX 4.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I have always used the 512 textures for my Rex clouds with asn. But I really really find it annoying when the clouds are flashing next to the mountains. Really takes ya out of the realism.

I would buy it for less than 10 bucks if it can at least eliminate the cloud flashing

Thanks guys.

I have always used the 512 textures for my Rex clouds with asn. But I really really find it annoying when the clouds are flashing next to the mountains. Really takes ya out of the realism.

I would buy it for less than 10 bucks if it can at least eliminate the cloud flashing

Thanks guys.

Then buy it, look here.

I bought it and I love it. The only problem is I still get those darn cloud popping when they touch mountains. Anyone got any ideas?

I am also using Rex 4 and asn.

Thanks.

that's the way the z-buffer works in fsx. It can be a real immersion killer for those - like me - who fly in mountainous areas. Even a more recent game such as Skyrim had this problem to some extent. I'm afraid not much can be done about it and could probably be solved only with true volumetric clouds.

I'm ready to crown my new hero, should someone ever find a way to alleviate this awful glitch the sim has been carrying on since like forever.

btw, I own Soft Clouds as well, and although better, it doesn't get rid of the problem.

I bought it and I love it. The only problem is I still get those darn cloud popping when they touch mountains. Anyone got any ideas?

Try this. Only works with DirectX 9. Haven't seen the issue running DirectX 10. Maybe they handle the shaders differently. 

Try this. Only works with DirectX 9. Haven't seen the issue running DirectX 10. Maybe they handle the shaders differently.

That's a whole different issue you linked to. The z-buffer problem with clouds touching the mountains won't be cured using the swarm cloud fix.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator