Sign in to follow this  
rennman

Where are the bigger tanks in the 747 ER

Hi. What makes the 747 ER have more range...meaning, exactly which tanks are expanded? Where is the extra fuel held?

Thanks.

Mike Ryder

A quick search on google yielded the answer:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_21/747ER_story.html

One of the most significant differences between the standard 747-400 and the 747-400ER is the auxiliary fuel system, which is available with one fuel cell or two. (The auxiliary fuel system is not used on the 747 400ER Freighter.) The 747-400ER is configured with a single fuel cell, which accommodates an additional 3,210 gal (12,151 L) of fuel when compared with the 747-400. Structural and systems provisions are provided for a second fuel cell, which can be ordered as an option or installed later. The one- and two-cell installations look like and are managed as a single auxiliary tank.

The auxiliary tank is located in the lower lobe, immediately in front of the center wing tank, where cargo containers usually are carried. To accommodate the auxiliary fuel tank, the potable water system was moved to the aft end of the aft cargo compartment, and the size of the forward cargo compartment was reduced. Whenever possible, common fuel systems components were used.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Great stuff Donor!

So if I just add 3,210 gal to the center wing tank in the cgf...I'll have a virtual 747ER.

Is this the most "realistic" place to put it in the sim?

Thanks again.

Mike ryder

It would be close enough.  I don't know how the PMDG 744 will work with altering the cfg file.  PMDG aircraft do not use native FSX fuel logic, so it may or may not work.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

The cfg file is in the PMDG folder so it is not native I think...The best test is to note the max fuel capacity before and after the mod...I'll let you know..thanks again...

Hi,

It may not be as simple as this...

You can of course alter the fuel capacity but remember this will generate more weight and may effect the C of G thus the handling of the aircraft in the sim may also change.

Best to try it and see. If you search the Forum for PMDG 747-400ER there's a couple of other posts that go into much more detail on the knock-on effects of making these types of changes.

Regards,

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Before you enter the realms of weight and balance calculations you will need to know how to do them.

Firstly you will need to know the differences between the two aircraft. Whether the CoG in both is at the same station or not. I wouldn't recommend playing with PMDG's figures as I'm sure they spent a lot of time on them. So they'll be as correct as they can get them. Especially as MS's calculations for weight and balance are not exactly the same as in real life.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=yves+guillaume&CatID=root&Go=Search

This will give you a taste of what you're up against.