Sign in to follow this  
forshaw

What is the best all round texture package for FSX, emphasis on Airport texture

Hi Folks;

I am looking for a good texture software for FSX mainly for the default buildings, taxiway and runway.

All of my flights originate in NY so i have FSDreamTeam KJFK V2 and DRZEWIECKI DESIGN for KLGA installed for full airport scenery. Runway texture for FSDreamTeam v2 could be better but, that's another discussion :smile:

For the other default airports I fly into I am looking to spice up the appearance. I have read a lot about AIRPORT ENHANCER HDX i.e on this forum which seems to be at the top of the list. I have also see responses on REX4 but some seem to suggest that the airport texture on the AEHDX may be a bit better.

So I have 2 questions:

I have read somewhere it was stated that REX4 and AEHDX can be combined (co exist) to get the best of both worlds. I didn't realize they could.

1) If so, should I just get both and I am good to go?

2) If they cannot exist REX4 airport texture overrides AEHDX then should I just get AEHDX?

If it came down to which textures I prefer to help make a decision I would say Airport texture over Clouds, water, etc.

Hope this helps so that you can steer me in the right direction since most of you already have either or both of them at one point.

Thanks again.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw. 

Airport textures... Zinertek?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Thanks for your response Luis. I did take a look at the Zinetck product which looks good, but wasn't sure how it measured up to AEHDX.

Best Regards.

Forshaw.

Very happy with Zineteck.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I own REX4 and Zinertek Airport Enhancer, and they are a great combination and work well together. REX4 doesn't change any airport buildings, just ground markings, jetways, etc.    Airport Enhancer does a good job of improving the airport buildings but it has no 'configuration tool' and it does contain a couple of not so good textures; such as the runway textures used at smaller fields.

So all you need to do, if you do buy them both, is install Airport Enhancer first, (installing it puts all the new textures in to the sim, there's nothing else you need to do), and then install REX4 and run it's Configuration Tool (should be on your 'Start' bar).

Go to the 'Airports' tab at the bottom (or words to that effect) and install the texture set for runways, and any other textures that you like.  Install the textures and you're off.

You'll then see the Airport Enhancer new textures in the sim, plus any and all of the REX4 textures that you installed later  (and those will overwrite the relevant Airport Enhancer textures, that you don't want).

Fantastic. Thanks for the insight and detail explanation Craig, I really appreciate.

Cheers.

Anthony Forshaw.   

I own REX4 and Zinertek Airport Enhancer, and they are a great combination and work well together. REX4 doesn't change any airport buildings, just ground markings, jetways, etc.    Airport Enhancer does a good job of improving the airport buildings but it has no 'configuration tool' and it does contain a couple of not so good textures; such as the runway textures used at smaller fields.

So all you need to do, if you do buy them both, is install Airport Enhancer first, (installing it puts all the new textures in to the sim, there's nothing else you need to do), and then install REX4 and run it's Configuration Tool (should be on your 'Start' bar).

Go to the 'Airports' tab at the bottom (or words to that effect) and install the texture set for runways, and any other textures that you like.  Install the textures and you're off.

You'll then see the Airport Enhancer new textures in the sim, plus any and all of the REX4 textures that you installed later  (and those will overwrite the relevant Airport Enhancer textures, that you don't want).

Just purchased REX Texture Direct HD with Soft Clouds from Sim Market, due to the size 7.18 GB the download failed twice. My internet is fast 50mbps/50mbps but downloading via Sim Market network is very very slow. Based on the calculations of the download it will take at least 8 hours to complete the download.

Has anyone one else experienced this issue with their download?

Thanks.

Anthony Forshaw.

Just purchased REX Texture Direct HD with Soft Clouds from Sim Market, due to the size 7.18 GB the download failed twice. My internet is fast 50mbps/50mbps but downloading via Sim Market network is very very slow. Based on the calculations of the download it will take at least 8 hours to complete the download.

Has anyone one else experienced this issue with their download?

It is certainly a big download but mine didn't take that long ..... it sounds like you've been unlucky with timing and Simmarket's servers are maybe running busy.  Could be worth cancelling that DL and trying it in a few hours / tomorrow, and I'm sure you'd see better results.    I think it took about 1 hour for me to download it.    Good luck!

Hi Craig;

Thanks for the encouraging note. I did try on 2 occasions different day and time and about the same. Both of their servers show the same usage percentage. WIth so may products on sale i guess their servers are extremely busy. i am going try again this evening hopefully with better luck.

Cheers.

Anthony Forshaw. 

Are you using a download manager, like GetRight, nothing like gettting to 5 or 6GB and losing the connection and having to start all over again....

Are you using a download manager, like GetRight, nothing like gettting to 5 or 6GB and losing the connection and having to start all over again....

Yes good point.   I use FlashGet (free) with good resuts.

Hi Folks;

I got it to complete a download. I tired it around 2:00 AM EST and was over in approximately 30 mins. Interesting, that SimMarket says that they don't support Download Manager in their resonse to my ticket :smile:.

In any event I ended up un-installing the software because of limited disk space and poor "uninstall software".

1. I have 49.9 GB of (of 117 GB) available disk space on my SSD drive which I only use for Windows and FSX. I have another drive for other things which is 1TB. REX4 Direct with S/Clouds required 30GB so I was ok.

2. I installed the software on my D: drive not the SSD in order to save space but intended to have it point to my FX SSD drive for set up.

3 After installation it said I had about 19 GB available which was strange since I didn't install the software on my SSD, but I noticed it installed MS SQL 12 on my SSD drive, but still shouldn't be that little left, unless SQL is 99% of the install.

4. Just to be sure I uninstalled everything, SQL and REX4 software. After the install I didn't check to see my available space, but made sure they no longer existed on my drives and was missing in the installed software.

5. I then reinstalled everything and noticed that my SSD was red  only3 GB available. Now I was bloody ###### since unstalling did not remove much and added all of the additional software to my drive. Which move it closer to the edge. 

5. I un-installed everything and nothing changed, it stayed at 3 GB available. I am sure SQL (all components) was not really removed. UNIX is different from windows in that way.

6. I ended up reverting back to a 3 week old back up to get back my 49 GB of free space.

I wouldn't be using REX4 until I have a 512 GB SSD :wink:.

Thanks again Folks.

Anthony Forshaw.