Sign in to follow this  
pete_g1441

Glowing Heat B-58 Hustler - FSX - autopilot hold problems

I've just started flying with the Glowingheat B-58 Hustler. I'm getting better at handling this a/c on Takeoffs, Climbs and in Cruise mode.

I've tried using suggest tweaks but they did not fix my landing problems.

I've been able to land this plane, but only manually. When I try to use the AP the plane drifts back and forth, left then right of the ILS radial dialed in on the Nav radio. It seems like the AP has trouble keeping this heavy plane centered and keeps over correcting. 

My impression is that the plane is too massive for the AP to be able to correct the plane when it is the right or left of ILS radial. The AP makes an adjustment and then the plane moves to line up but then passes through the correct direction and overshoots the correct radial. By the time the AP can get the plane to respond it has passed too far past the radial. Then the AP tries to correct again and the process repeats itself. The a/c just cycles back and forth, never settling in on the correct heading. 

I'm not sure what I may be doing wrong. I wonder if I'm going too slow on Approach? Or too fast? 

peter in oakland, california

• Upvote 1

Hi Peter...  I too am having the same problem trying to land using the ILS and autopilot approach and have not been able to solve it. I tried to download other B-58 Hustler's and see if they reacted the same way but most of them are a disgrace to the B-58.  If you do find an answer to this problem, be sure to drop me a line at gisleib@yahoo.com and I will do likewise.

I've no idea specifically about the B-58 so just generalising. She's a big delta, built to go fast. What might the approach speeds be for the real thing? By that I mean an approach speed from a suitable distance out to capture the localiser - not just 2 miles from the threshold :tongue:

Are you going faster or slower than Brig.Gen James Stewart was on the approach? :cool: My total guess would be to say you're too slow if she's being all wishy washy about maintaining a heading. Does she react this way when you're manually flying her too slow?

Try switching the autopilot sooner? As soon as you see the indicator star to move towards centre, switch the autopilot over to NAV, LOC or whatever it's called in the Hustler to give the system plenty of time to react.

w3cpr - don't post your email in a forum post - better to PM the person concerned.

Anyhow, hope this helps and/or you resolve the situation guys!

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Hi... After having this yawing problem with the B-58, the problem is in the autopilot in the aircraft.cfg file.  I am enclosing the autopilot section in the aircraft.cfg that I am currently using with great success.  Since the B-58 has a landing speed of 180 mph, you have to start to intercept the ILS beacon at a distance between 15 and 20 miles to have ample time to lock.  Replace the autopilot section with the one below and your problems should be over.  Set your speed to 180 as soon as the aircraft starts to descend when on approach and locked to the glideslope. Try to intercept the glideslope from the airport at about 30 degrees to the airport.

[autopilot]
autopilot_available=1
flight_director_available=1
default_vertical_speed=1500
autothrottle_available=1
autothrottle_arming_required=1
autothrottle_max_rpm = 90
autothrottle_takeoff_ga=1
pitch_takeoff_ga = 8;
max_pitch=10.0
max_pitch_acceleration=1.0
max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt=2.0