Sign in to follow this  
N405GJ

Best Looking Military Heavy Lifter

Hello all. I have to admit, while I love flying all sorts of aircraft, I have always had a love for military heavy lift aircraft. I know years back there was a freeware AN225, but sadly it just is not up to par anymore. With that said, there are a few options out there for aircraft such as the C-5 and C-17, but who makes the best looking, most up to date bird out there? Would love to hear some feedback from current owners. Thanks.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

The Virtavia C-17 is nice visually, as is the Area-51 C5, but they're both lacking on system depth. It's hard to find a well-made military cargo aircraft that's still in use, since it's not really readily available to the general public. I'm sure the government wouldn't like exact replicas of their aircraft systems and whatnot :P

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

The Virtavia C-17 is nice visually, as is the Area-51 C5, but they're both lacking on system depth. It's hard to find a well-made military cargo aircraft that's still in use, since it's not really readily available to the general public. I'm sure the government wouldn't like exact replicas of their aircraft systems and whatnot :P

Yeah you have a point there. I know I wont find a PMDG level bird, but each has their appeal. The Virtavia C-17 seems ok, and so does Area 51's C-5. I guess it may be better to ask which is more long in the tooth VC wise? And which has the best sound set?

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

I'd say overall the C-17 is probably the better quality option. But, I believe it's more expensive. I think it's about 40 bucks.

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

Have you seen Roland Laborie's Airbus Cargo A440M for FSX / P3d.

It's 24€ on Simmarket.

I found it a really in depth simulation. There are a few weaknesses but overall I'd recomend it and am enjoying it.

Some have said certain switches don't work but I've not come across any I needed yet! They say the engine sounds aren't realistic. The instruction manual is half French and not brill. The GPS is not easy to use.

See what you think?

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

This post prompted me to reinstall my Area 51 C-17. Took it for a quick spin out of Edwards AFB. It is now removed, it has just awful sound and VC IMHO.

This post prompted me to reinstall my Area 51 C-17. Took it for a quick spin out of Edwards AFB. It is now removed, it has just awful sound and VC IMHO.

Isn't it amazing how many aircraft we purchased and end up uninstalling after a few short flights. We get so used to high fidelity aircraft from developers like PMDG, Level-D, RealAir, etc., that after a while anything that is sub par to what we're used to ends up being money down the drain. There's so many aircraft that I would like to buy, but when I see the available choices on the market for some of them, I end up deciding to just save my money that fly with something I'm disgusted with or can't stand the looks or sound of.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The best on the market at the moment is Roland Laborie's Airbus Cargo A440M..

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

Isn't it amazing how many aircraft we purchased and end up uninstalling after a few short flights. We get so used to high fidelity aircraft from developers like PMDG, Level-D, RealAir, etc., that after a while anything that is sub par to what we're used to ends up being money down the drain. There's so many aircraft that I would like to buy, but when I see the available choices on the market for some of them, I end up deciding to just save my money that fly with something I'm disgusted with or can't stand the looks or sound of.

So well said. I'm exactly in the same boat. Now just gathering dust without the tarps in a disused hangar.

So well said. I'm exactly in the same boat. Now just gathering dust without the tarps in a disused hangar.

Yeah, I have about 15 or so addon planes ranging from g/a, helicopter, and airliners that have been installed and will never see the light of day again. Many were impulse buys and first time buys from those developers, or planes that were on sale. Currently the only aircraft I have installed are the NGX, T7, Lotussim L-39, and Carenado Cessna 337, and A2A civilian Mustang. The A2A Mustang that I just got on sale and the 337 will probably be coming off the HD soon.

cmpbellsjc, your comments about standards really resonates with me. I've bought many many FSX planes, but only have a handful now. You might try DCS if you haven't. I believe that any one of those planes, if hypothetically ported to FSX, would quickly be regarded as the most awesome thing in the entire world.

cmpbellsjc, your comments about standards really resonates with me. I've bought many many FSX planes, but only have a handful now. You might try DCS if you haven't. I believe that any one of those planes, if hypothetically ported to FSX, would quickly be regarded as the most awesome thing in the entire world.

I've considered DCS, but I'm not much into the military aspect or aircraft. The bulk of my flying is in the NGX, doing US domestic routes. Of course, if DCS had a worldwide map and most of my airports that I've purchased were available for use in that sim, as well as my airliners, then I'd consider trying it. The only military plane that I have considered but have yet to purchase for FSX is the VRS Hornet, but have not done so since it probably wouldn't get much use.

The only sim that isn't really a sim yet, that I am keeping my eye on is Outerra. If in the coming years it blossoms into a sim that can be used for flight and the 3PD's come aboard, then I'll consider it.