Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Weather radar test (stupid question)

How do you go about testing the weather radar? because when i select TEST on the panel i get no audible sound ie windshear ahead go around i've heard this on youtube 737 ngx 

It also says monitor radar display

Vernon Howells

Press and hold the test button.  In the real aircraft the test button is a latching on/off button, not a momentary one.  The NGX test is a little off from the real thing.  In the sim the PWS test pattern shows with the radar deselected,in the airplane it does not.  We normally leave the radar in test when it's not in use.

Our test procedure is as follows:

- Check that the radar is in test, it should have been left that way by the previous crew

- Select WX on both display control panels, the test pattern should display on both NDs

- Deselect test and immediately reselect it, the radar will now go through the PWS test.  You should hear "monitor radar display" followed by "go around, windshear ahead" and the PWS pattern will display on the NDs.  If you terminate the test early you will hear "radar test terminated"

- Deselect WX on both display control panels, all test patterns should no longer be displayed.

So i should hit the test button and then press both WXR on both EFIS panels?

Vernon Howells

So i should hit the test button and then press both WXR on both EFIS panels?

Correct.  If you don't select WX on the display control panels you won't see the test pattern.

Click the test button on the radar control panel, hold the mouse button  and move the cursor off the button, it will stay depressed that way.  In the NGX you will need to deselect test after it's done to make the PWS test pattern go away.  In the airplane they disappear when the test is finished without deselecting the test button.

Ok got it all up and running! But you do still see the test pattern if you just select test?

Vernon Howells

It's me.  I shot it back when the update came out to send to the PMDG team but never got around to actually uploading it.

Good stuff matey! loads of paper there on the pedestal lol cockpit looks shiny clean ;) 

Vernon Howells

When you are on your sector how long does your briefs last? Taxi and takeoff brief plus STD and NON STD takeoffs, NOTAMS, weather etc?

And when do you start your before start procedure?

Vernon Howells

Hello:

If I could add in another question about the weather radar. Can the FO have the WX radar selected and the Captain have the Terrain button selected. I know they cannot be selected on the same side at the same time. Just curious.

Also since the new release came out when Terrain is selected and no WX radar there is a moving cursor. Does this happen in the real 737?

Thanks

Don Lillard

Yeh the captain can monitor terrain below TRAlt or FL100 and the FO to monitor WXR.

Vernon Howells

When you are on your sector how long does your briefs last? Taxi and takeoff brief plus STD and NON STD takeoffs, NOTAMS, weather etc?

And when do you start your before start procedure?

I try and get to the aircraft an hour before departure if the plane is there.  The actual preparation does not take very long.  You can easily set up the cockpit, do a walk around in under 20 minutes.  The ramp, gate and fueling activities take a lot long longer than what we have to do.  I don't like to be rushed so getting there an hour prior gives me plenty of time to accomplish what I need to do and then have plenty of time for the important stuff like getting my coffee and using the lav.  There is often some unexpected issue that pops up, a maintenance item or cabin service, etc. so it's good to be on board early to deal with that when it happens.

I couldn't get the answer but what is exactly the PF before start procedure? Because i'm hearing you don't arm LNAV VNAV during this and you set V2 before this too and other set A/T before TO. Just looking to clear this up!

Vernon Howells