Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

Flight Ontario Version of Red Deer Alberta, CYQF - Elevation Issues

I recently installed this freeware addon.  I have Orbx Global with underlying FS Genesis Mesh.

I have an elevated airport and objects.  Can someone please advise me on the easiest fix to bring the elevation back to ground level?

-2015-may-23-003.md.jpg
-2015-may-23-001.md.jpg

cheers

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

bump

Near CAM3

Do you have ORBX Vector installed? If so run the Vector Configurator and run the Auto Scan for Airport Elevation Corrections. If you have already done that, manually search the list for CYQF and change it.

Hope that works!

Do you have ORBX Vector installed? If so run the Vector Configurator and run the Auto Scan for Airport Elevation Corrections. If you have already done that, manually search the list for CYQF and change it.

Hope that works!

No, I don't have Orbx Vector.  I think I'll try my own elevation adjustment using ADE, can't think of anything else that would be an issue.  Thanks.

Near CAM3

I think I'll try my own elevation adjustment using ADE.

Bryan, I would be interested in hearing how you make out with ADE and elevation adjustment.  I installed and experimented with this after I saw your first post but I had limited success after a first attempt to change the altitude of the entire airport.  I could still see a lot of sunken areas and buildings and I thought perhaps it was the original scenery design that was intended for Ultimate Terrain that was causing the issue with default mesh.  If you are successful, I would like to try your changed .BGL files.  Thanks.

Regards,

Rick

My first attempt failed.  I used the default elevation applied to the Flight Ontario version and it still has the same issue.

I am looking at polygons and other stuff the might be impacting the elevation levels.

Near CAM3

Tied everything, I give up, wasting my time when I could be flying.  I will have to look at working with the FTX version and adding elements to upgrade it instead.

Near CAM3

bah yep it's a bit annoying. Here's what i do when this happens to try to fix it, and sometimes it works (sometimes not).

- Launch ADE, load the 'CYQF_ADEX_LDI.bgl' file from your CYQF addon scenery
- go to menu 'tools - change airport altitude' and type 2968 feet (it's the default fsx elevation, use this to as a starting point, other idea would be to use the elevation you get when you are on the runway, but try 2968 first)
- then use the polygon tool (green form) to draw a form surrounding the airport. This will be used to flatten the terrain  (double click to close the form)
- a properties screen appears, choose 'airport background' and 'flatten', set the altitude to the same value as the airport altitude (2968)
- compile the ADE project (you will get 2 files, xxx.bgl and xxx_cvx.bgl)

now go the folder where your cyqf scenery is installed
- remove (keep a copy, or change the extension) the following 2 files 'CYQF_ADEX_LDI.bgl' and 'CYQF_ADEX_LDI_CVX.bgl'
- put the 2 new files you have just compiled

relaunch the sim, the airport should be ok (if not try changing those altitude in ADE up or down depending on the result you got, bit less if you see stuff over the runway, bit more if you still see holes between runways. Be sure you change both, airport and flatten polygon, to the same level).

i just tried and after that little operation the cyqf airport is fixed on my fsx. I don't have fsgenesis but with my other mesh i had the same issue i could see on your screenshot.

you can find my 2 new BGL here and the .ad3 file that you can open in ADE to check what i have done : http://www.filedropper.com/cyqftest

this is just my basic method full of 'try and error', i have no knowledge on scenery creation, so hopefully someone else will be able to help you more and give more details on how this stuff works. But it's worth a try, i could fix several airport with this method. At least it should give you some ideas on possible fixes by adjusting those elevations.

take care ! :P

Thanks for posting the link to your test files, Bad_T.  I tried them and the area is indeed nicely flattened so perhaps this might help the OP, too.  I do see what appears to be some odd mesh or ground textures showing in some spots but I'm guessing this is as good as it can be without the originator's terrain installed.  Mine is default FSX.

Thanks, again.

Rick

Rick you can probably remove some of those weird textures by changing the polygon from 'flatten' to 'flatten mask class map excludeautogen'

by doing so the airport background will only be filled by what the afcad specifies and nothing that will be generated automatically by fsx, so no bad placed trees or textures (at least that's how i understand it :lol: )

i just did that to test and it seems to improve a bit the overall look. You can test the files and check the ad3 file directly in ADE to modify it to fit your taste. (http://www.filedropper.com/cyqftest2)

take care !

Excellent!!  Seems to do the job nicely after a quick test!!

Thanks, again.

Rick