Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Change in career, I want to work at the airport...

I've been wanting a change of career to try something new after doing graphic design for almost 15 years now as full-time and as a freelancer. Since I really love aviation and love being at the airport. Does anyone know what type of positions I would be eligible for? I only have a associates degree in graphic design/visual communication. So I would need a job that doesn't require too many qualifications. I'm assuming a job that requires your typical High School Diploma/GED would work. I live in Houston and would like to work at KIAH (G. Bush International). 

I've been unemployed for almost 2 years now, and have been doing freelancing work while I can, but it's becoming slow and unstable. I would like full-time or even part-time. To be honest, I'm desperate for a job, as I have bills piling up. So I would like to ask the AVSIM community for some advice on what type of job I can qualify for at an airport and what the hourly pay/salary and benefits would be like. Since any type of position offered at the airport is working for the city, I'll be getting decent benefits which is very important at my age. I'm 38 now, and my health is slowly deteriorating and I definitely need to find a job with a good benefits package that will help secure my future until the day I retire.

I appreciate any input, advice or constructive feedback that you guys can offer me.

Thanks in advance!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Since it's working for the city, the first thing I'd do would be to look at open city positions and see if there is anything that attracts you.  You might also look at positions open with the airlines that serve KIAH and do the same thing.

DJ

A great way to get your foot in the door at an airport is to work at a Fix Based Operator a.k.a. FBO. I'm not too familiar with the Houston area however I am sure there are a plethora of airports that have numerous FBOs. Most companies that hire Line Service Technicians (involves fueling, towing, marshaling of aircraft) only require high school diploma's or a G.E.D. and its an excellent job if you love being around aircraft constantly. If being outside all day is not your forte, perhaps working a customer service job at an FBO still gets you to the airport everyday, although you'll find yourself indoors most of the time.

A good place to start would be www.airnav.com - take a look at your local airports and see what FBOs are listed. Most FBO websites have a "careers" section that allow you to download an application/apply online. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the input, I will definitely check that out. But when working at the airport for say an outside position like loading, unloading planes, etc. Any idea of what the pay range is like? and if say I get to become a loader/unloader, will I work for just one airline company or work for the airport in general and load/unload ALL airlines?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

While I was in college I worked for a major airline. What you could do is look for "Ramp Agent" jobs with the largest KIAH carrier. That would probably be UAL.

As to how much they pay, search google for ramp agent pay. It's not salary it is hourly. Once you get in the door, you will see other opportunities within the airline. Especially at such a large hub. It's cool to be near the planes, but at 38, I'd suggest using the position as an opening for more.

Just my 2 cents.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

That depends on who you work for. Generally, if you work for an airline, you will only throw their bags. If you work for a ground services company, like Servair or DGS, you will throw bags on whatever airline contracts with them.

You can also look into being a gate agent. You will handle the boarding of flights and customer setvices. You'll work with computers and people and not as physically demanding.

Here's some friendly advice from someone who has been in the airline industry for 36 years. if you are thinking of working as an airline employee, make sure you are working as an employee of the airline and not for a contract company who happens to be working that airline's flights. Traditionally, employees of the airline have better pay and benefits than those of a contract company who work for less pay and rarely do contract workers get flight benefits, which is one of the major perks of working for an airline.Well, it used to be. Starting pay with my airline is $10.59/hr. I work in Fleet Service which comprises baggage handling, operations, central load planning and tower. You may have to start as a part time employee. Plan on working nights, weekends, and holidays. You get to work in all kinds of weather. I work at DFW. In the summertime, when the outside air temperature is 105F, the ramp temperature is 135F and if you're in the cargo bin you can add another 10F to that. It's a great weight loss program. if you can wait until January, I'm retiring, you can have my job.

NAX669.png

Last two posters were spot on. I did a stint at AMR ground services and AA employees were treated better in every aspect. Get into an airline, not a ramp/airport services contractor.

As mwilk states things aren't rosy out there. I remember standing under the APU exhaust as the only way to get warm in the winter. There is no buffer for the wind in the winter. There is very little shade in the seering hot summer. (We used to beg the catering truck guys for soda. It's funny how name brand soda tastes different depending on the country it was made for. You'd think a Sprite was just a Sprite...) 

The legal theft of our money (baggage fees that never go down despite fuel costs) should make loading bags on narrowbodies a bit less than it used to be, but, if you have to get in the cargo hold, get some knee pads. Hope you aren't tall...

The legal theft of our money (baggage fees that never go down despite fuel costs) should make loading bags on narrowbodies a bit less than it used to be, but, if you have to get in the cargo hold, get some knee pads. Hope you aren't tall...

Cory,

The bag fees may have reduced the number of bags somewhat, but now passengers stuff as much as they can in their luggage to get their money's worth. The average bag weight for weight and balance purposes is 33 lbs. Ha, in your dreams. Our kneepads are provided per our contract. I'm 6'4". After you smack your head the first 100 times or so, you don't notice it as much.

NAX669.png

Probably my worst experience with bags was when i worked international narrow bodies. SDQ, AUA, POP, KIN, etc... Those bags were huge and heavy as crap. I was in the aft of those 727s and all I remember thinking was how it sucked!

But... I will say I did enjoy a lot of it too. Being on break and just watching the planes taxi, take off and land... For an aviation enthusiasts, it can be quite awesome. I remember going in several cockpits after the crew left and just familiarizing myself with all of the overheads. (I just knew I was destined to be an airline pilot) Oh well... You also get the perspective of being near these planes that most folks will never get. The height of the MD11s tires, Looking out of the cockpit of a 747, Marshaling in a A300. Being able to tell a plane by engine sound (particularly a 737-300 and up. In fact you HAD to know in case your plane showed up early to the gate and no one told your crew... Ouch!)

Sorry about your head! Have a virtual beer on me!