Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

VAS On The Ground Before Taxi

Has anyone had VAS OOM while still on the ground?

Yesterday I had repeated OOM s while on Finals to UK2000's EGLL Rwy9R, no ASN.

Today, I had OOM while on the ground at EGLL prepping the flight+ASN+FS2Crew+AivlaSoft, Never had OOMs before now all of a sudden it is happening whilst still on the ground.

Be grateful if anyone can shed any light. Only thing different I've done is install 3 newly-purchased TropicalSIm sceneries.

VASOntheGround46860.jpg

I think having an OOM on the ground is rare unless you have been sitting there for a couple of hours.  I would first disable the new scenery you installed.  If it is photo scenery it is loading in the background no matter if you are near it or not.  It is not taking up any VAS space but memory resources as it is loading in the background while you are loading other things.  You could have a memory leak with one of your addons (not P3D otherwise it would be happening to everyone).  Only thing I can suggest is that you run process monitor in the background (after configuring it as shown in the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 3).  This way only P3D and P3D addons will be shown as loading.  If and when you get an OOM again you can immediately shutdown P3D and take a look at the process monitor log and see what was running about the time you ran out of memory.  There are a lot of things you can do to investigate this and try to pin down the culprit(s) causing the loss of VAS (for instance, disabling the EGLL scenery).  One of the reasons I like the FSUIPC utilities version of monitoring VAS is the fact I can look at the fsuipc.log after the OOM and see where the sudden loss of VAS occurred.  It also provides an audible warning that you are getting close to running out of VAS.  I can then start disabling things to see if I can regain the lost VAS.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Nothing makes me want to give up this hobby more than P3D. I can't help you with your problem, only sympathize with you. I have had OOM on the ground, and it doesn't take long for it to happen. I have OOM'd twice today in the air minutes after takeoff. This is so frustrating it's pathetic.

Jim, you are either genius or you are very intuitive, or both.

Like you with interests elsewhere other than flightsimming, I had physically taken my computer a good few miles elsewhere to sort out some hardware/software issues with a guitar recording software. Back home with the PC, I kept getting boot-up POST errors about Intel Thunderbolt and memory address. At first, I did not twig as quickly as I should have. On top of that I had 2 VAS/OOM issues when I had none before in the PMDG 777, and now I was getting it with the Aerosoft Airbus X. Made no sense at all.

So, as I had noticed a fair amount of dust accumulated internally, when I had taken PC elsewhere, decided to give the internals an air-during. First boot error with CPU fan. Turned out to be a loose cable snagging the fan blades on the Noctua CPU cooler.

Re-try #3.Now, PC kept making constant beeping noises. Opened it up, removed every 4Gb RAM stick(all 4), re-seated, re-booted.No more Intel errors.

Now, fingers crossed no more OOMs sat on the ground.

No photoscenery at all, and as you can see from the screenshot, FS2Crew counting down with 8 mins to go and it had only been sat for 30 minutes.

Thanks, RichUK.

It seems I spoke far too soon. Should have know better. You think you have sorted a computer problem, but no, it comes back to bite you.

Can anyone shed any light on this error message? Sorry about the size of the image as I had to take a snapshot of it with a smartphone.

BootUpError.jpg

Dead ram cards? Can you check the bios to see if all are being read?

The BIOS( American Megatrends)Asus motherboard Z-87 De Luxe shows all 4 RAM sticks(Corsair Vengeance)

I know how you feel, RichUK.

Tried everything I could today trying to start a flight from UK2000's EGLL, and each time, barely 20 minutes on the ground using FS2Crew, Airbus X, no ASN, sceneries not required disabled, and it was not long before I had slid down from over 2Gb VAS to barely above 400Mb. I honestly feel like chucking the whole damn thing out of the window. It is so maddening!

Rick, if you have a bad stick of RAM it can be hard to detect and sometimes Windows and other programs will still continue to work even with a bad stick, but problems will show up with FSX or P3D.

A few years ago on my newest computer build I started having some weird issues like this and it turned out to be a bad stick of RAM. It was hard to detect without running Memtest since Windows was still working as we're some other programs. Just to be safe, pull your RAM sticks and run Memtest on each one to check for errors. It takes some time if you have either 2 sticks or 4, but that's the only way to know for sure if your RAM is ok. If you end up having a bad one you'll have to RMA it and wait for the manufacturer to send you a new one, or go buy a matching module if you can't wait.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Sean

Thanks for that kind suggestion. That was going to be my next option. Running MEMTEST86.

I generally work on a principle of ' what was the last state?'. And in this case, until 2 weeks ago, I could make long 7 hour flights with the T7, with add-ons with not an iota of OOMs. So, I ask myself what went wrong all of a sudden? Did a well-known and one of the most reliable brand of RAM sticks just all of a sudden keel over?

Another thing that puzzled me was why did the 3 TropicalSIm airports I bought 2days ago all install themselves in the Windows root directory? Very odd.

Okay, update. Ran Memtest86 for over 7 hours. No faults found with RAM. Removed every peripheral and re-seated.

Loaded P3D no other add-ons other than Aerosoft's A321 at UK2000's EGLL. This time I managed to make it as far as push-back before OOM kicked in.

That's it for me. Until P3D come up with a 64-bit sim that can access the 21st century's hardware instead of being stuck in a 32-bit game time capsule, not much point in shelling out loads only for a 32-bit application's limitations bring it crashing to the ground.

That's it for me.

Could not agree more Rick. I have binned P3D altogether. It doesn't work properly. Total waste of time and money. I will not touch it again unless LM find some kind of magic fix for it, or like you said, move to 64 bit and stop wasting time with such a freaking old architecture. Orbx are gonna hurt now I am not buying anymore of their stuff..LOL.

For the record I switched over to XPlane. It feels like a beta, maybe because it is. However, it doesn't freaking OOM like P3D does, and therefore it is at least useful and not a total waste of time and money.

Rich.

I switched over to XPlane.

You have now got me thinking.............I may just follow you. I may as well seeing I have shelled out so much dosh just to waste valuable time. Is it a complicated sim to get a handle of?

No it isn't that complicated. You soon find your way around it. There are some essential things to add to it, a huge amount is freeware. It ends up looking pretty good actually. If you use trackir then you'll want xcamera (free). Noting was more frustrating to me than the native trackir support in xplane. There is a fair amount of payware for it too. It just takes a little tweaking and then it looks/acts real nice. You can certainly 'feel' the difference. What kind of flying do you like to do?

Hit me up if you need a list of essentials other than those I mentioned, or obviously head over to the xplane forum here. Lots of really helpful people there. 

Don't forget ..NO MORE OOMs!

Okay, update. Ran Memtest86 for over 7 hours. No faults found with RAM. Removed every peripheral and re-seated.

You removed all of the sticks and ran the test on them one by one right, replacing each one after each test, not with all sticks installed at once?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator