Sign in to follow this  
stefltt

Altimeter setting

Hello,

on version 1.5, I have configured FS2Crew to automatically press the QNH knob to set Standard or local QNH.

It works ok during climb, when I call "transition altitude satndard set", the button is pushed by the F/O and STD is set.

During descent, passing the transition level, I call "transition level, altimeter reset xxxx" (xxxx is the local pressure in hPa preset before TOD), the F/O press the knob, QNH becomes local, but the voice says "1013", and on the standby altimeter, the QNH is set but reverts to inches whereas it is set as HPa before.

Then I call "Approach Checklist", and the F/O push the button again and the QNH is set to STD again.

Stephane 

vpa055.png

If you wish to use that option, you'd need to manually set the FO's altimeter and Standby altimeter since FS2Crew cannot set it directly.

That's why most people have their altimeters set to 'sync' with the Capt's altimeter.

I'm looking at the code for the "approach checklist"... I don't see how STD is being pressed again.

Brian,

as I reported in another thread this was exactly my issue, exactly as the post opener described it. In that thread you answered me to set Capt F/O and Capt stby sync to OFF, which is what I did, and this time it partially worked, i.e. crossing TL, the FO reset his altimeter to the local QNH and I reset the Cpt Altimeter. However, when I called the Approach checklist I also noticed that the FO altimeter reverted to inches whereas it was set as HPa before, and it was set to 29.92 in.

You also said in the post above :

"If you wish to use that option (FS2Crew to automatically press the QNH knob to set Standard or local QNH), you'd need to manually set the FO's altimeter and Standby altimeter since FS2Crew cannot set it directly"

Now, this is confusing me: do you mean that in that case the FO sets the Cpt Altimeters to STD but cannot do anyhting on his altimeter ? In other words, passing Transition Level, I call for "Transition level, altimeter reset xxxx) and the FO resets the Cpt altimeters but I have to reset the FO altimeter ? That sounds strange to me so I guess I must have misunderstood your statement above.

Can you clarify which is the exact sequence of actions when transtion altitude/level is crossed ?

Thanks a lot for your time and for making this product better and better.

Regards

Ezio

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

We implemented this option because a user wanted it for some reason, and I have a hard time saying 'no' to user requests  B)

Personally, I wouldn't use the option ... unless you want to fly from the FO seat and manually control the FO's altimeter setting.

Captain/ PF (that's you) always needs to set his altimeters.  I usually just press 'B'.

I also thought that FO can preset standby altimeter...

Tu sum up... before approach checklist I - as a CPT - should preset stanby altimeter and when passing TL, also I should press STD ...and "FO presses STD at TA/TL" option should be "NO" - right?

So when can I use "FO presses STD at TA/TL" option to YES?

I also observed that CPT altimeter is automatically (and correctly) set on preflight phase - how? And why it cannot automatically set also on descent phase just after passing TL?

Lucas

FS2Crew no longer attempts to control the Standby Altimeter.  We're leaving that one with the user.

Due to SDK limits, we can't accurately control the buttons on the Standby Altimeter.  We can press the buttons on the Standby Alt, but we can't accurately read their position.  All we can do is a 'blind' toggle accordingly.  And that can get messy.

As to how to use the Standby Altimeter, that varies from airline to airline.  I don't think there's any hard and fast rule on it.  

A site like PPRUNE will probably give you multiple ways to do it.

For the last question, it's due to the way FSX works, and PMDG SDK limits with controlling the altimeter.  

Hm, I'm affraid that don't understand you :(

So, there is no possibility voice command to set altimeter?

Ok, so what for is phrase: TRANSITION LEVEL ALTIMETRES RESET XXXX ?

As for this:

I also observed that CPT altimeter is automatically (and correctly) set on preflight phase - how? And why it cannot automatically set also on descent phase just after passing TL?

you wrote:

For the last question, it's due to the way FSX works, and PMDG SDK limits with controlling the altimeter.

Still don't understand. I meant, how FS2C knows what altimeter value to set? What is more... when I set altimeter before first checklist, then the FS2C changes altimeter to incorrectly (higher) value. The best solution is to not touch altimeter knob at all before takeoff.

Transition Level Altimeters Reset XXX is an announcement call only.

Since you should have the Capt and FO's altimeters set to "Sync" in the PMDG options, the FO altimeter should automatically match yours.

Due to SDK limits, we cannot control the FO's altimeter value directly.

However, during pre-flight, the FO will press the equivalent of the B key on your keyboard (key barometic pressure), and that will automatically set the Altimeters to local barometric pressure as sensed by FS.

Cheers,

Thanks, Bryan...

However, during pre-flight, the FO will press the equivalent of the B key on your keyboard (key barometic pressure), and that will automatically set the Altimeters to local barometric pressure as sensed by FS.

Couldn't he press B just after passing TL on descent?  :smile:  TL is set in FMC, so he also could read it... :wink:

Thanks, Bryan...

Couldn't he press B just after passing TL on descent?  :smile:  TL is set in FMC, so he also could read it... :wink:

That would give you the local altimeter setting,  not necessarily the setting given by ATC for the arrival airport.

The Capt and FO's altimeters should be set to "Sync" in the PMDG FMC options... that way the FO will match whatever you enter in your altimeter.  That's the best way to handle it.