Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

NVIDIA Users: Don't forget this color "tweak"

Hi all,

Many of you will already have this option set...but not all of you! ;)

EDIT: This only applies to HDMI users.

So with the recent NVIDIA driver (352.86), some people pointed out that the "Output Dynamic Range" option that was introduced a few driver versions back, was removed from the most recent drivers. This is not the case, the option has simply been moved to "Change Resolution" in the Control Panel.

I had this set to "FULL" before installing the new drivers, but I've only just noticed today that it was set to "LIMITED" by default.

This setting has a subtle but noticeable change and it comparable to switching on and off HDR in Prepar3D.

Here's a screenshot

EAY30fM.png

The best thing to do is to have Prepar3D running in the background, open up your NVIDIA control panel and change the setting and hit 'apply' then switch back to P3D to compare. Take particular note of shadows and bright areas.

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Thanks for the tip Neil.    My control panel seems to be missing  "Output Dynamic Range" bit.   Is it a 4k thing ?? 

17853669299_f07687240d_c.jpg

My control panel seems to be missing  "Output Dynamic Range" bit.

Elaine, I should have mentioned that this is only for HDMI users. I see you're connected via DVI so you should be all set!

it looks like you're using an older driver though. The option should be in "Adjust video color settings"

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Thank you, Ebs. Interestingly, I don't have the 'output color depth' parameter.

This applies to display port monitors as well

Thanks Neil! My colors are brighter, don't need HDR now. And I found there was a couple of boxs check to use other application controls and not Nvida. Thanks again.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Colors never looked better. Thanks!

Dragos

I9-13900K/ Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC/ Aorus Master Z790/ Kingston 64GB@6000Mhz DDR 5/ 2TB nvme 0.2 Samsung 980 PRO/ Deepcool LS720

Thank you very much for this item, Neil.

While I'm using FSX DX10 with Steve's DX10 Fixer, and use P3D sporadically, I love what it did for DX10!

Everything looks so natural.....at last.

Just finished a quick P-51 flight around KSRR in New Mexico, and the outcome was JAWDROPPING!

Jim

Elaine, I should have mentioned that this is only for HDMI users.

Ah rite ok, i get ya  

Didn't notice a change in color in P3D however, I did see that I was able to bump my resolution up to 4K (4096x2160) without a hit to frame smoothness.  Thanks for the heads up Neil! 

**Edit**  

Have to change my answer.  I tried P3D and FSX-MS in full window mode (with psuedo full-screen) and the results are definitely better.  I will have to experiment with 4K resolution a little more and will post back if I find anything.

\Robert Hamlich/

Display port here setting as stated by Neil are all ready at the mentioned settings - to bad thought I would have something new to play with - thanks Neil

Rich Sennett

Display port here setting as stated by Neil are all ready at the mentioned settings - to bad thought I would have something new to play with - thanks Neil

Thanks for the reminder for the HDMI setting.. i also have a display port (in addition).. for that one i had to change the option on output color to YCbCr444 to avoid having washed out display port screens as well.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking: