Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

NVIDIA Users: Don't forget this color "tweak"

Thanks for the reminder for the HDMI setting.. i also have a display port (in addition).. for that one i had to change the option on output color to YCbCr444 to avoid having washed out display port screens as well.

Cool have to check that out tonight :)

Rich Sennett

YCbCr444 can work better for some monitors (especially 4K monitors).  But nVidia indicate "limited" so I'm not entire sure what that means as they can't say YCbCr444 and actually only do YCbCr420 ... but apparently nVidia do some additional compression that isn't true YCbCr444 and isn't YCbCr420 but something in between ... hence the "limited" grayed out value when YCbCr444 is selected.

Another thing to note when installing the 353.06 drivers, be sure to install the 3D components also even IF you don't plan to do any 3D.   What I found is without installing the 3D components I lost the ability to operate my 4K monitor at 60hz.  WITH the 3D components install I can operate my 4K monitor at 60Hz.

Cheers, Rob.

444 and 420 represent video compression ratios:

That is different than video gamut. In a 256 bit gamut, there are two types available via the nVidia drivers cRGB (Computer RGB, each channel is 0-255) and sRGB (Studio RGB, each channel is 16-235).

sRGB is the broadcast TV spec, because having "true" black and "true" white gummed up the works, so to speak. The nVidia option will give one blacker blacks and whiter whites, assuming that the monitor is capable of showing them and is calibrated properly.

Thanks Jay ... had no idea there was such a thing as sRGB.  I think the objective of both gamut and compression is to simply reduce the amount of data transmitted to stay within the limits of one's cable connection (HDMI 1.x, 2.x, or DisplayPort)

Cheers, Rob.

So to confirm Jay, should we select YCbCr444 or RGB at full?

So to confirm Jay, should we select YCbCr444 or RGB at full?

RGB on a regular lcd monitor - tried the other  - was not good - its all ready at RGB

Rich Sennett