Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

sightseeing over parks - special altitudes?

I want to do a simulated flight over Yosemite park and Grand Canyon but in real life don't you have to stay like +2000'AGL above the highest area?

Can aircharter companies get special permission to fly lower?  If, so how would that work?

Ciao!

Look up grand canyon special flight rules area.

The Grand Canyon is controlled by SFAR 91.  I remember I had a set of rules when I used to fly in it but lately it has totally changed.

PM me for details.  I will try to look up my old routes.

Some guys from my area flew into the canyon and never flew out....

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Some guys from my area flew into the canyon and never flew out....

They just found one, missing since 2011, that wasn't spotted from the air. In this case, it was an intentional dive.  

To answer your question, yes.

Stay 2500agl above national parks. Some parks may have special rules, but that's the general guideline you are taught when getting a PPL.

The truth is though, no one will likely know one way or the other. Aviation is largely self-regulated, at least in the US.

There are special rules for "commercial air tour" aircraft.  See FAR part 136.  Aside from specifics on Grand Canyon and in Hawaii, there is a requirement for "Air Tour Management Plans" which are site-specific.

scott s.

2500? I thought it was 2000

It is 2000 above the surface. Been a while since I had to know that off hand.

But I'm not sure it's even regulatory. It may just be in the AIM. I think the terminology used is "requested" instead of required. Same thing for beaches and monuments.

But, the Grand Canyon is regulated in the FAR.

The chart link was pretty good.  The Blue Direct North seems the same as long with the Blue 2.  What they did away with was the Blue 1.

Route Description:

B1:  Where the Blue 2 and the Blue Direct North meet on the west side, fly direct to Mt. Dellinbaugh and then on to Twin Peaks at 7500.  Once crossing the West rim near Twin Peaks, descend to 6500.  Cross the river and join the plateau South of the river.  If you have the map, you will fly over the words Toroweep Overlook.  Once on the South side of the river, fly direct Mount Sinyala.  When near Mt. Sinyala, climb back to 7500 and go direct the VOR.

* I used to do this in a turbo charged twin.  Also this route is no longer authorized.