Sign in to follow this  
Jacob Axford

737 Turn around

Hello,

I've noticed that despite using the GPU, Ryanair 737-800's always give out a whine on the turn around which sounds like the fuel pumps. Can anyone confirm the the airline leaves on the fuel pumps during the turn around and if so, is it just the FWD 1 pump?

Thanks in advance,

Jacob

Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 9700k @ 5.1ghz | RTX 3090 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 RAM | 2 x Samsung Evo plus M.2.

Are you speaking about in real life you've noticed this, or on the RYR livery? The fuel pump would be on if they APU is on, and often they APU is used for bleed air if it's very warm or very cold

Sorry, I am referring to real world. This is during a time when the APU is not on and the GPU is in use. 

Examples - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzpdj7U32mA

Nearly all videos of Ryanair boardings have that whining sound

Thanks

Jacob

Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 9700k @ 5.1ghz | RTX 3090 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 RAM | 2 x Samsung Evo plus M.2.

Thanks Spin 737, 

I went into FSX and just turned on the electric hydraulic pumps along side a power source and there it was... the signature whine. It's very quiet on the PMDG so I had never really noticed it, as the only time I would have it on would be during push when GSX/AES is making a lot of noise. I've heard this is left on during windy conditions as the control surfaces will move, meaning the yokes will move about, However Ryanair seem to have them on all the time. I know that they have short turn around's but they seem to switch on straight away anyway. Does anybody know why this is?

Thanks

Jacob

That's the electric hydraulic pumps.

Matt talking about the EDMP why would the crew pressurize the HYD before start?

Vernon Howells

If it's a very short turn. i.e as one set walks off the plane another is waiting in the gate10 meters away (I've walked off Easy Jet flights in to Amsterdam and the gate is full of people waiting to get on), they may not turn them off. From the short turn SOP for Ryan Air that I have (though I don't know how accurate it is) they have them turn on the hydraulics with the before-start procedure. If it's not going to be very long before that happens once again, maybe they just don't bother. I also have a BA check-list as well here and hydraulics are set around the same time, confirmed during the before start checklist. Going forward to the shut-down check-list however, it states "Electrics Hydraulic Pumps ...set" it doesn't state Off, which suggests to me, they could stay on, possible under a short turn situation. Again, can't confirm how accurate this is, I work for neither airline, but this BA one is from BAVirtual which is said to be pretty accurate.

Some of the turns are so short, especially with cheap airlines, that I wonder how much is turned off when arriving at the gate, to then turn back on again not much later. I was reading an article on the stigma with pilots and coping with stress (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/28/germanwings-crash-exposes-pressure-pilotes) and one thing that was high lighted in this was the very short turns. So I suspect they are just kept on because why bother

Some of the turns are so short, especially with cheap airlines,

Hey there, wow, short turns could also mean the airline is efficient and well managed.  SWA has done 20-min turns, I read somewhere that they used the NASCAR pit crew as a working model, and a few others have studied it but it is difficult to reproduce.  Anyway, careful with the cheap adjective.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hey there, wow, short turns could also mean the airline is efficient and well managed.  SWA has done 20-min turns, I read somewhere that they used the NASCAR pit crew as a working model, and a few others have studied it but it is difficult to reproduce.  Anyway, careful with the cheap adjective.

With all due respect, you've not quoted me well at all, and reading that quote takes the line out of context. Let's review again;

Some of the turns are so short, especially with cheap airlines, that I wonder how much is turned off when arriving at the gate, to then turn back on again not much later.

I will re-phrase "Some of the turns are at such rapid speed, that I personally wonder how much is turned off because they would be turning them back on again in a very short amount of time." I fail to see what is cheap there.

Secondly, the reason why I speak of short turns and in the same paragraph link to an article on pilot stress is because one of the parts of high pilot stress that was indicated in that article was short turn times. That calls in to question "efficient and well managed" as you state. But, I'm not a pilot, hence my use of the phrases "I wonder" and "I suspect" since I don't know for certain.

Anyway, careful with the cheap adjective.

Dan

Cheap is ticket price not the way they operate.

you've not quoted me well at all,

You're right and my apologies.

Cheap is ticket price not the way they operate.

LOL How true... They started out as the low cost alternative and only flew into secondary airports.  Here in Corpus Christi (CRP), I have a choice of SWA to HOU or UAL to IAH and AAL to DFW... that's it but it's not too bad.  However, it's been over 5 years since SWA beat the price of either UAL or AAL getting out of here and going anywhere.  Regardless, I still admire the business model that the legendary Herb Kelleher rebuilt the airline with. Seems since they bought trash airlines they've struggled somewhat.

Dan Downs KCRP

I think they call them "no thrills" airlines, rather then cheap. No free drinks or food etc. Ryan air is famous over here for coming out with outrageous PR stunts such as stating they are considering charging people to use the toilet. They are just PR stunts though. It's a common joke that the Ryan Air's and Easy Jets of the world will fly you to "Berlin" but actually fly you to a tiny remote airport an hour drive away. To be fair though, I've purchased return flights from London to Amsterdam for £50 many times, can't complain. For a long haul I'd prefer a more expensive flight, even if only for the free drinks to knock me out!

No frills, not no thrills. They are not frilly, but you may get some thrills.

Matt Cee

After speaking to a Ryanair FO I can confirm that the Electric Hydraulic pumps are left on during the turn around and will be switched on when the pilots enter the cockpit on the first flight of the day. They should be on so you can check for leaks on the walk around. The A pumps are turned off though during the push as they provide the hydraulics to the nose gear. 

Jacob