Sign in to follow this  
AllAboutGuitar

Quite annoyed with this :(

Hi everybody,

I just bought the PMDG 777 200 LR/F, and downloaded it, thought can't wait to install it and have a go, since it's the first PMDG aircraft i've used, started to install it and this error came up:

"Feature: FSX Version - Original Microsoft Distribution

Component: DEM

File: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\

Error: Access is denied."

Can anybody help? I don't want to think that this is $90 gone down the drain.

Thanks,

AllAboutGuitar :)

I know very little about this stuff,  so take my advice with a grain of salt,   but the first thing i would do is to insure your files have the correct permissions going to and from each other (full control)      Also add the PMDG.EXE to your Anti virus as (trusted)  If you don't have Anti Virure, well then add it to your Firewall.   This always works for me  :rolleyes:

Welcome to the world of problems that arise when you install FSX in C:\Program Files\.

I'd highly suggest moving your main FSX folder - ideally on a separate drive, but minimally somewhere else, like C:\FSX\.

sig01.png

I think Max is right...Microsoft made Windows protect itself from users who don't know what they're doing.  Anything installed in the Program Files folder is guarded like a baby by her mother!!

You can try turning of UAC if you haven't already.  If that doesn't solve the problem, then like Max said, you'll most likely benefit by moving FSX to anywhere outside the Program Files folder.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Ok so it's working now, did something which i should have tried first before posting on here, "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR!", feel like i've wasted your time but thanks for the help :)

AllAboutGuitar

AllAboutGuitar

Welcome to the forum. Glad you were able to fix the issue. In the future please use your full, real name. Thanks!

Kyle Rodgers

I just bought the PMDG 777 200 LR/F, and downloaded it, thought can't wait to install it and have a go, since it's the first PMDG aircraft i've used...

Sir, I wish you the best of luck with your new plane.

Well done for fixing the software issue. And unless you fly for a living, you might find "installing it and having a go" to be frustrating without reading up on the aircraft and systems.

There are a number of non-pmdg written books I could reccomended for the initiated - but do start with the pmdg issued manuals. They are very well written and digestable, and are worthy of your time.

I have only suggested this on the basis you dont want to lose your $90 (!).

Perhaps you're ahead of me... lots of help here too if you get stuck - but sort your signature out, else you might get sat on. :)

Best wishes.

Microsoft have done very well to build their latest operating systems with some very good security features while maintaining a large amount of backwards compatibility with software. It just means there are a few quirks to work with. But it's all in good faith

Programs that make changes to system files or install software should automatically elevate to Admin privileges if the user does not have them, the OP's problem could have been avoided.

If programs install files into a read only folder that are subsequently required Write access by the User of the software, the installer should set Write and Modify permissions for the Users Group on that folder. Admin privileges or Running as Admin doesn't always provide required access to these locations.

Since anyone logging into a Windows PC becomes a member of the Users Group, and FSX/P3D addons often install read/write data files in the sim program files folder, it is recommended that Write and Modify permissions are added to the Users Group on that folder after installing FSX/P3D, and before installing any addons.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Programs that make changes to system files or install software should automatically elevate to Admin privileges if the user does not have them, the OP's problem could have been avoided.

I think, though don't quote me since it was a few years ago I had to deal with this at a software house I worked at, but that's to do with the installer. They where distributing the application with a version if Wise, I think it was Wise, using Visual Studio 6, and it couldn't cope with Vista or above. In fact, the application install default was c:\APPLICATIONNAME, much like many of us do with FSX. It was becoming a major gripe, but moving off Wise, and VS6 was an undertaking in-itself.

I'm told they have now moved off, for the greater good, but set projects back obviously

Ok so it's working now, did something which i should have tried first before posting on here, "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR!",

I see my suggestion worked  :Big Grin:     I should really get best answer   :Big Grin: