Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Anyone Successfully done Remote Desktop? *HELP*

I've gone through all the steps to get this working but I simply cannot

Ideally I'm trying to do this to help my grandfather many miles away.  But before I even attempt this I need to get it working to a PC on the LAN.

Host PC:

Win7x64 Pro

Firewall allows for RDC

RDC enabled with "any version of RDC" ticked

I only have one account as admin, but I did just now create a password.

I can see the other PC on the network, we're both in WORKGROUP

I can ping the other PC on the network from Host.

I've tried connecting to the name of the remote PC, I've tried the IP with 3389 as the port.....no luck

I've added me as a user.

Remote PC:

Win7 Home Premium

Firewall allowance

Remote Assistance enabled

I created another test account with password so I'm not logged in as admin when I try to connect to this one

I've set static IP and DNS for this pc

Did I miss anything?  Nothing seems to be working!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Ryan,

Windows 7 Home Premium does not have Remote Desktop server. It has the client, which you can use to connect TO a Remote Desktop, but it does not have the server for RECEIVING INCOMING connections.

Hope this is clear.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/does-windows-7-home-premium-support-remote-desktop/0cb69a49-868b-47e0-a760-1a16567413bc

Note that Remote Assistance is not the same as Remote Desktop. I hope sombebody else can explain you how to work with Remote Assistance. I lack experience.

Good luck!

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

If you want to control a computer at distance, you can use TeamViewer. You simply install TeamViewer on both computers, then you need to enter the TeamViewer's client code and password into the host's TeamViewer and your good to go. You get the clients desktop on the host desktop and use the client like you would use your own computer.

The program is free for non-commercial use. 

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx?pid=google.tv_ex.s.nl&gclid=CMml8ozf3sUCFUbJtAodOHsAxw

Cheers!

Maarten

Ryan,

Ideally, to use RDP over internet, you would either need RDP Gateway or connect through VPN to the other network. Both ways are, for what you are attempting and for the lack of better wording, an overkill.

As Demious said, probably the simplest way is Teamviewer for what you want. Using it too much however, might spring the "commercial use" trap, and then RDP will be your only alternative choice (or buying TV).

Hi Ryan,

TeamViewer is the best way to go, used it a few times helping family and friends with their issues.  Pretty straightforward installation and all the person your are helping on the other end has to do is give you an access code.  Didn't know about the commercial trap though

\Robert Hamlich/

Ok so I can't control a Win7 home premium pc from my win7 Pro pc? That's weird

I thought the person with RDC connects to the pc with remote assistance (win7 home prem).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |