Sign in to follow this  
Rivet

About to purchase Global - questions

I am about to purchase ORBX Global Base and I would like to get some confirmation on a few points regarding the setup and installation. I currently have GEX North America and GEX Europe installed and UTX for Europe. I also have many ORBX regions and airports already installed.

Questions:

1) Can I just install Orbx Global over all of the above?

2) Is it better? or necessary? to uninstall any or some of the above before I install Global.

3) When I install FTX Global I have read that there is a Hybrid mode that I can use to have Global and all my existing regions active at the same time. Is this correct? I looked in FTX Central 2 and can see no reference to a Hybrid mode. Is this because I do not have Global installed? Will it show up once I have installed it?

Thanks for your help and advice.

1) Yes.

2) It doesn't change anything within the ORBX regions you already own. It just exchanges the default textures for better ones for the whole world, including better autogen annotations,. I find these textures much improved. It's certainly a question of point of personal view if they are "necessary", though. Add the fact that the Base package is mandatory for a number of published and forthcoming ORBX addons like Papua New Guinea.

3) Your assumption is correct, hybrid mode is used for flying in-between installed Regions and Global landscape, say, between ENG (if you own it) and France. However, it comes  with a penalty that some (supposedly minor) details within the Regions are represented a bit less accurate than without the hybrid mode. This concerns roofs of houses, some landclass detail etc. It is said these deviations are more worse for certain Regions than for others. I only fly short hops either within Regions like PNW or NZNI, or within Global land (Germany etc), thus I can't judge how intrusive these deviations actually are. They shouldn't hurt you if you are flying tubeliners at FL 100, though. And, yes, you will only get the hybrid checkbox after installing Global Base.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Make sure you don't  use  the default   download  tool that came with ie  since its  a large  download  and most likely  will time  out  on you

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Thanks guys for the very complete and informative input. Looks like I am ready to buy. I will keep my eye out for the items mentioned about hybrid mode.