Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

The Disappearing Joystick Issue--Why Won't LM Address It?

I'm a very frustrated simmer. I've been using a CH Eclipse yoke with P3D and Win 8.1 for nearly 3 years with no issues. In the past month or so, around the time of upgrade to 2.5, my controller is no longer recognized. LM just shows "mouse yoke. All of the buttons can be assigned with the CH program and still work in P3D. That's not the issue. The problem is that, if P3D does not recognize the controller, neither does FSUIPC. Consequently, my rudders are way out of calibration and the plane veers wildly right. No amount of calibration in WIndows fixes it. The controller calibrates fine in Windows and can be seen and used in any other windows program--just not P3D.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling P3D, updating bios, and anything else that others have recommended to no avail.

There is a thread on the LM hardware forum where several others have reported this same issue with other controllers, so it is not a CH issue. Nor is it a Windows issue, since no other program has a problem seeing the controller, and P3D itself never had a problem until recently (correction: P3D would intermittently lose the joystick, but it was easy to get it back).

I've contacted LM several times by multiple means and have not received a response. Why won't they address this? I can't fly anymore and so will be forced to ask for a refund from LM and give up this hobby.

If anyone has a solution or has any contacts at LM, please pass this on and ask them to address this with a hotfix ASAP.

I have this problem quite frequently, and it is annoying. There is a similar problem that plagues FSX. It seemed to crop up starting from Windows 8 I believe. The main reason people say it happens is USB devices being put to sleep or something, but I've seen no change after applying the community fix.

I've seen another aspect to this where Prepar3D only seems to recognize a controller off a certain USB port. I'll get it to recognize a joystick off my front #3 USB 3.0 port, but Prepar3D refuses to see anything on the others. After a few restarts it occationally picks up a controller on another port.

It’s not joystick specific. I’ve tried a Thustmaster 1600M too, and it also fails to appear in P3D. A Google search reveals this to be an issue for multiple types of joysticks.

As noted in another forum, the controller will appear (sometimes) if one loads the deep sea rescue mission, which is curious. But the controller will not remain for a flight. Clearly a P3D bug and not Win 8 since the controller works fine in any other Win 8 program.

I've tried all USB ports on my computer. I've also disabled selective suspend on the USB hubs. 

Ok, I found a workaround that seems to be working for now.  Thanks to someone in another forum for suggesting this.

1. Load the deep sea rescue scenario. This must be the first scenario loaded.

2. Check if the controller is visible there. 

3. Load or create a new scenario/flight with your chosen plane. 

4. Check if the controller is visible.

This seems to be working. I've tried saving the scenario from step 3 and loading it in step 1. Unfortunately, that does not work.  The deep sea rescue scenario must be loaded first.

Why do folks insist on blaming Lockheed Martin for all their software/hardware problems?  Go to your software/hardware manufacturer and ask them.  You are their customer so they have to keep you happy.  As far as joysticks go my Logitech Extreme Pro has lasted me for 11 years of everyday (retired) flying without a problem.  Those who jumped on the Windows 8 bandwagon just made Bill Gates richer.  It did nothing for flight sim.

Jim

Yeah - this problem is maddening indeed.

My stick works fine in Windows 8.1 in a variety of games, but is always Mouse Yoke in P3D (except one day randomly I went to settings and it was correctly recognized....for a few minutes)

Why do folks insist on blaming Lockheed Martin for all their software/hardware problems?  Go to your software/hardware manufacturer and ask them.  You are their customer so they have to keep you happy.  As far as joysticks go my Logitech Extreme Pro has lasted me for 11 years of everyday (retired) flying without a problem.  Those who jumped on the Windows 8 bandwagon just made Bill Gates richer.  It did nothing for flight sim.

Jim

Because it's a P3D issue.

I've played many many hours of GTAV and it works fine in 8.1... but when I use it on P3D sometimes it disconnects.

Useing win7 no problems with Logitech pro for 3 years. It's probably a driver that needs to be updated for win8. I would not blame LM.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Upgrade to Windows 10. Problem solved.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Useing win7 no problems with Logitech pro for 3 years. It's probably a driver that needs to be updated for win8. I would not blame LM.

So for those of us who have joysticks working fine in every game other than P3D, we shouldn't at least blame LM a little?

Upgrade to Windows 10. Problem solved.

:-)

In all seriousness is anybody using Windows 10 with P3D yet?

So for those of us who have joysticks working fine in every game other than P3D, we shouldn't at least blame LM a little?

:-)

In all seriousness is anybody using Windows 10 with P3D yet?

Yes I am with Saitek X55 Pro.  Why do you think I propose for you to upgrade ?

Yes I am with Saitek X55 Pro. Why do you think I propose for you to upgrade ?

I honestly wasn't sure if you were just being sort of sarcastic and fun.

Did you download a copy from Microsoft or somewhere else?

I wasn't aware the regular public could try it right now.

Does your copy get updates pushed to it from Microsoft or do you have to reinstall every new version?

I honestly wasn't sure if you were just being sort of sarcastic and fun.

Did you download a copy from Microsoft or somewhere else?

I wasn't aware the regular public could try it right now.

Does your copy get updates pushed to it from Microsoft or do you have to reinstall every new version?

Yes you can download the public preview program. They do push update and different build. I didn't have to wipe anything.

Yes you can download the public preview program. They do push update and different build. I didn't have to wipe anything.

Awesome! Thank you! I may try that

Nor is it a Windows issue,

That is incorrect. It is a Windows 8 issue with the joystick drivers. The only even somewhat successful solution is to use FSUIPC to control your joystick. That's why did and I have never lost control of Saitek X-65F ever again.