Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Tongass 1: Bear Watch on Baranof – US Forest Service Cabin Tour

The first of our flights in Tongass Fjords starts and finishes at Sitka Harbor Seaplane Base (A29) and will include landings at 11 wilderness cabins located on Baranof Island as well as stops at False Island, Little Port Walter Marine Station, and Port Alexander.

"Fjords, glaciated u-shaped valleys, cascading waterfalls, and numerous active glaciers might exhibit the feeling of Norway, but in fact it describes the South Baranof Island Wilderness. Starting within 2 miles of the beach the landscape exponentially rises to glacier covered peaks at 4,000 feet. Peaks, though, are not the only things to feast your eyes on. Breathtaking waterfalls exiting hanging valley lakes spill into steep bowlshaped cirques at the end of highway long fjords. It might seem like paradise within this wilderness area but remember outside the bays and fiords 100 miles winds come screaming from the open Pacific Ocean."  

The Tongass Fjords X scenery (payware) will be needed to enjoy this tour.  The freeware Misty Moorings scenery addons listed below are also highly recommended.

Recommended aircraft: Floatplane or Amphibian is required for this tour.  Good choices include Grumman Goose, Twin Otter Float/Amphibian, Beaver, Kodiak Amphibian, or Cessna 185 Float/Amphibian.  I will be flying the Amphibian Cessna 185 Skywagon:

C185%2BSitka%2BHarbor%2B2.jpg

Required scenery:

The Tongass Fjords X scenery (payware) will be needed to enjoy this tour.    FSAddon Tongass Fjords X

Recommended scenery:

The Return to Misty Moorings site has many fine freeware enhancements to Alaska that cover the Tongass Fjords X, Orbx Pacific Fjords and Orbx Southern Alaska regions. 

The developers at Misty Moorings have recently updated all of the required freeware scenery libraries to be DX10 compliant.  The first step is to download and install Part I, Part II and Part III of the RTMM Required Object LibrariesFSXP3D.  Read the general instructions provided in each part as well as any specific library instructions. Follow the directions provided carefully to install and activate the libraries. 

http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/object_libraries_build/#links

Once you have installed the libraries you should install the following Misty Morring scenery addons. The Misty Morring sceneries can be installed into a single common directory which will simplify scenery management.

Most of the USFS Cabins are part of the PFJ, Tongass Fjords X and SAK Scenery Packages. However, there are over 90 cabin locations missing. RTMM has created scenery locations for each of the missing locations and added them for you in the zip file (with installation instructions and NOTAMs) that you can download below:

RTMM Missing Cabins" FSX Scenery File (updated 09.02.2014)

CSV file for Plan G for the RTMM Cabins Page by Dieter Linde (updated 05 23.2013)

Little Port Walter (LPW) Marine Station is a research unit of Auke Bay Laboratories located 110 miles south of Juneau near the southern tip of Baranof Island.

Little Port Walter Marine Station

The Link below contains a zip file with FSX & Plan G flight plans and the Narrative for this Tour

Flightplan & Narrative

Date and time: Saturday 30 May, 1800 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

Don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer speadsheet! (linked here)

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Right! I've got that lot. I'll set about installing them tomorrow. Off to bye byes now. :Yawn:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Brilliant.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I'm sorry Jeff, I'm going to have to pass on this. Life really is too short! I started out with determination to follow instructions but after the first two paragraphs of Part 1 libraries my head was spinning! :blink: I'll pretend I can see the nice cabins.

I walked away from it, did some deep breathing exercises, came back. I threw caution to the winds and followed my nose. We'll see if they work or whether I cocked up a perfectly good FSX install! :unsure:

Ron,

I gave up twice on the libraries too, before I took a deep breath and just started working through them one by one.  It is a tedious process and I don't know why it could not be made easier but considering the price, I can't complain too much.  The good news is once the libraries are installed the scenery packages are a breeze to install.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

keep trying ron , if a dummy like me can do it , it should be a breeze for you.

roger.

I think I've got it sussed. One question: The Missing Cabins file, is it treated as an Addon-Scenery item or do the files go somewhere else?

Two question actually: Can all the Library entries be amalgamated and rename RTMM Libraries? Other than that, I'm good to go. I even did the 'Check libraries' jobbie. I'm just missing smoke from the Medical Centre which I understand I don't need.

I'm going to sign up for an Open University course on 'The 'ins and outs' of Misty Moorings' :rolleyes:

Ron,

Here's what I did. 

Libraries: I created a folder "Misty Moorings" under Addon Scenery.  I installed each required MM library in the "Misty Mooring" folder, then activated it. I dumped all of the effects into the main FSX effects folder as directed.  I did not combine the libraries because I was not sure if that would cause problems down the road.

MM Scenery Packages: I then created another folder under "Misty Moorings" named "MM Scenery" for the individual scenery packages.  I installed the Cabins package into the "MM Scenery" folder and activated it.  I then installed the Little Port Walter into the same "MM Scenery" folder.  Seems to work OK.  My plan is just to install any additional scenery packages into the one "MM Scenery" folder; that's what I meant when I said the scenery packages are a breeze to install.

26aLetj.png

I think I'll try this. Make a new RTMM libs folder copy all the separate ones into it. Then, disable the separate libs and enable the amalgamated one.

I'll be beck. B)

Me again. :Cowboy:  Well, nothing fell off, I found a couple of water stops and they had bits that didn't look 'Orbxy'. So Saul Goodman.  :BigGrin:

Incidently, there are quite a few duplicated files spread throughout the six folders. Might have helped a bit...or not. :smile:

Beautiful Beaver Views of Baranof Island: Summer here and Winter here.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Nice vids Mike! May you gents have an excellent flight tomorrow!

That itty bitty erplane not man enough for roughty-toughty Alcatraz Alaska eh?