Sign in to follow this  
lschechter

approach and landing issue

I'm having an issue with my approach and landing speeds on my 737. I have the FMC programmed and I'm finding that the aircraft is not descending to the assigned altitududes at the waypoints so I'm using the level change button to get the airplane to lowere altitudes. the problem I'm finding is that when I do that I can't get the speed to reduce. I change speeds and I'm getting a flashing "A" on the MCP. I have this issue all the way down to the runway. I tried turning off the auto throttle but that doesn't do anything either. Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

Larry Schechter

What speed are you selecting when the A starts to flash, at what point in your approach are you and what's your configuration by that time? You shouldn't be selecting a speed that low. A good hint would be to reduce to 210ish or UP speed before getting onto the glide and then start adding flaps, then again reduce speed accordingly.

Also if the aircraft doesn't descend according to the FMC make sure you have the MCP altitude dialed down correctly as this will always be your hard limit.

sig.gif

Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

I think the absolute best way to learn what you're looking to learn would be to fly the tutorial flight again (the first one should do) and pay particular attention to what we're asking you to do in the descent. From how you've written your post, it seems that a better understanding of your MCP (mode control panel - the panel that controls the autopilot) is what the situation needs, rather than an answer to "what is going wrong" so to speak.

While aircraft of today are highly automated, this automation is there to assist a pilot in doing his or her job, and not necessarily to do it outright.

Kyle Rodgers

While aircraft of today are highly automated, this automation is there to assist a pilot in doing his or her job, and not necessarily to do it outright.

He is right! A pilot i was speaking to a while back flew the 737 NG all the way to 10000ft and maybe higher, but thats all company specific and if its good weather!

I'll definitely fly the tutorial.

Does this mean you haven't flew the tutorials?

Vernon Howells

I hadn't, no. But as it happens I flew one of them yesterday (The first in the list that was I believe prior to final approach). Unfortunately the tutorial didn't help. The FMC was set up and the aircraft was following the legs but there was no actual tutoring so I was able to mess up the aircraft in the tutorial much like I've been doing on my flights. the next tutorial I'm going to try is the last on the list which is the full flight from EHAM to (I don't remember the airport). I'm hoping watching the entire set up from start to finish will clue me in.

One other note. I've been using the Mike Ray book on flying the 737NG and I was using that tutorial to learn how to setup and use the FMC and MCP. the first tutorial flys a loop in Sydney and that actually worked. so I was taking those lessons and applying it to my own flights.

The first tutorial, is a short hop to introduce you. The second take you all the way through the setup, take off, cruise, landing, shutdown. And in the cruise it's got how to mess with the FMC.

The second is EHAM to LOWI. LOWI is a fantastic airport, just make sure you follow the instructions on the weather set-up so you land on the correct runway (and not have a tailwind). You'll enjoy that tutorial

I hadn't, no. But as it happens I flew one of them yesterday (The first in the list that was I believe prior to final approach). Unfortunately the tutorial didn't help. The FMC was set up and the aircraft was following the legs but there was no actual tutoring so I was able to mess up the aircraft in the tutorial much like I've been doing on my flights. the next tutorial I'm going to try is the last on the list which is the full flight from EHAM to (I don't remember the airport). I'm hoping watching the entire set up from start to finish will clue me in.

Follow the Tutorial PDFs. I don't believe the first tutorial has you load any flight files at all. It doesn't go through start up from cold and dark (the second tutorial does), but it will explain the rest of the knowledge I believe you need.

Kyle Rodgers

Will do. Are the pdf's on the disk?

They're on your computer.

Start > All Programs > PMDG Simulations > 737NGX > Tutorial 1 and Tutorial 2.

Kyle Rodgers

Enjoy and take your time, ask anything you like on here!

Vernon Howells

It's not a bad idea to watch some Youtube videos on flying it. That's how I learnt a lot about flying the plane