Sign in to follow this  
immortal

Fresh build and install of FSX and issues!

Hi,

I'm having problems with FSX Steam Edition. I have just built a new setup with the following spec..

Amd FX 6300 6 Core Processor (stock not overclocked yet)

Msi 970 Gaming Motherboard

8Gb DDR3 2133hz Ram

Msi Gaming Nvidia 960 2GB (stock not overclocked yet)

240GB SSD (550/500)

1TB Hard Drive (FSX is installed here)

LG 24GM77 144hz Monitor - set at 120hz

I have just done a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and everything is running perfectly.

When I run FSX I have these funny graphics and the fps is low 30s (I expected more really)

Any ideas?

Matt

15we0w0.jpg

10fw6c4.jpg

2v0c2dz.jpg

Couple things to try.

-Set filtering in FSX to anisotropic.

If that doesn't work.

-Go to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\ and delete all the folders in the directory and launch FSX to rebuild shaders.

-Delete your fsx.cfg file and start fresh. Once done, launch FSX, and reapply anisotropic filtering.

Thanks for the reply. I've actually just wiped my computer and in the process of reinstalling everything. I will download it again and try that if the problem rears its ugly head. Prior to wiping I fired up X-Plane 10 and it worked flawlessly. I had 50-60fps without HDR and 30-40fps with HDR on and that was everything the step below maximum. I believe X Plane 10 uses Opengl? If so perhaps its a directx issue?

Will reinstall  everything and let you know :)

Matt

Because the SSD is only 240gb and the HD is 1TB. Ive read and read on the internet about benefits of SSD's for gaming and it seems there isn't any at all?

I have other programs installed which has lowered that to about 140gb left (Photoshop, Lightroom, Traktor Pro 2 etc)

Matt

SSDs have faster texture loading for FSX/X-Plane 10/Prepar3D, so less blurry textures.

I don't think what you're seeing is a DirectX issue. My FSX-SE doesn't have sky textures like that. I would think it's more filtering.

I had turned off filtering in FSX-SE to test, and it sort of had this banding issue like you see in your screenshot, but when I turned anisotropic filtering on again, it went away. Perhaps update to the latest graphics drivers.

Ah right. Didn't realise it had better texture loading so will probably buy another 240gb SSD and just use that for X Plane 10 & FSX Steam Edition

Matt

Here's what my setup looks like without any texture filtering. Sort of similar to your screenshot. On each row of colors, if you look closely, you can see a small line, which sort of looks similar to yours. If you're using the boxed FSX version, the colors look less vibrant, so it's harder to see with FSX-SE, but it's there.

1FVvn39l.jpg

It won't improve raw performance in terms of FPS, installing games on an SSD, as far as I'm aware, however drastically speeds up loading times. Unless you're FSX install is huge, 140GB is fine (unless of course with photo textures). But applications such as Tracktor won't be improved, it's a lightweight application. You might see it load very slightly quicker, but it would be hard to notice. I wouldn't bother installing that on the SSD. Unless you're hardware (S4 et al) is always connected, you'll spend the few seconds it takes for Tracktor to load plugging in your controller :)

Yeah looks very similar. I'm currently downloading FSX Steam again so will try putting Anisotropic filtering on.

Traktor isn't connected up all the time so yeah probably putting it on the SSD is daft but I like the faster loading. I think im going to invest in a few more SSD's and have 1 for FSX and 1 for X Plane 10

Matt

Hi,

Its all fixed. Was the anistropic filtering that was the problem. Turns out the AMD FX 6300 and GTX 960 are a good pair as im on max settings on FSX Steam and im getting 40-50fps..

24yy040.jpg

11snwwy.jpg