Sign in to follow this  

How good are these add ons?

I am looking to get FTX Global Base and the Aerosoft Airbus Bundle. But how good are they actually? Would you suggest something else? Should I consider the PMDG 737 NGX?

FTX Global is a nice texture update and it is on sale until the end of the month. If you buy make sure to get FTX Vector to go with it.

I own the Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 and it is a lot of fun. It does not do failures but it doesn't cost as much as the PMDG NGX 737.

I don't own the 737 so I can't comment on it.

Good luck.

You're covering a very broad base, so it's hard to say with great detail.  What are you looking for?

Orbx Global Base is an excellent texture upgrade.  From default FSX the world will look tremendously improved and from GEX/UTX I think it is still a remarkable upgrade.  I understand that version 2 is in the works for GEX which may make this comparison obsolete, but I've stopped paying attention after getting FTX Global personally.

The Aerosoft Airbus is very good.  It has some unique features, the WXR in particular, which are a step above and beyond things found elsewhere.  It is a very good simulation of "everyday" flying.  With that, it does not model failures and some people find this as a bigger fault than others.

The PMDG NGX is the top-of-the-top (well, maybe their 777 is), but the major addition you'll notice would be modeling of failures.  Quite honestly I don't think most people use these.  I haven't worked through any failures myself yet, but I have them enabled so each takeoff is a bit more stressful knowing that something could happen (and so on for the rest of the flight). 

Any number of other add-ons could be included depending on what you have and where your interests lay.  Any number of Orbx regions/airports, Majestic Dash-8, FSDreamTeam/FlightBeam airports, VRSimulations Super Hornet, A2A aircraft and so on.

Eric Szczesniak

FTX Global is a nice texture update and it is on sale until the end of the month. If you buy make sure to get FTX Vector to go with it.

I own the Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 and it is a lot of fun. It does not do failures but it doesn't cost as much as the PMDG NGX 737.

I don't own the 737 so I can't comment on it.

Good luck.

By failures do you mean the one in the FSX failures menu or random?

PMDG implement their own failures which are very detailed. Accessed through the FMC. As an addition to the failures, FS2Crew, also have an Emergency NGX package on top of their 737 packet to deal with these. However, FS2Crew are soon to be releasing their NGX package, so if you're interested in that much realism, hold off till the reboot is released

By failures do you mean the one in the FSX failures menu or random?

Am not sure if you can start FSX failures but the aircraft itself won't do it. Aerosoft have stated time and again that they will only simulate everyday operation of the aircraft and will not put in events that are only likely to happen once every 1000 hours if you are truly unlucky.

With that in mind, the price is very good and you get probably the best representation of the Airbus logic available for FSX today, it is great fun, has a weather radar that works with every weather program, has an included copilot voice reading the checklists and it also comes with a free version of MCE if you wish to create your own flows and checklists.

I feel that FTX Global is almost a requirement at this point in time. It helps out a lot to update the dated textures of FSX.

I have both the Airbus bundle and the NGX. The Airbus bundle is a fantastic add on and I really love flying it. I think for it's systems depth per cost, per variants included and P3D ready, there's nothing else out there as cost effective.

If your looking for the best of the best the NGX is it for your medium range airliner. But you do pay more for it...and then again for P3D.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Counter suggestion.. do not get Vector.. (unless you really want what it offers..)

Global all by itself is a wonderful upgrade.

Bert

There isn't any DRM, it's like most other add-ons. I can't speak for the boxed version, but I'm sure I did read that digital copies receive patches quicker. Maybe someone else can confirm of deny that. I would go with the digital version though, I see no reason not to.

There isn't any DRM, it's like most other add-ons. I can't speak for the boxed version, but I'm sure I did read that digital copies receive patches quicker. Maybe someone else can confirm of deny that. I would go with the digital version though, I see no reason not to.

I have some extra gift cards from Amazon, but I don't know if the boxed version allows you to download from the site instead of using the provided disc since I don't have a disc drive.

Counter suggestion.. do not get Vector.. (unless you really want what it offers..)

Global all by itself is a wonderful upgrade.

Agree, Vector can really tax your VAS, Global is a must have addon....

i own all that you suggested and highly recommend it, along with vector and pilot global mesh,as of right now europe open lc finishes off europe for the ftx global products, and open lc north america is being worked on,grab them during the 37% off sale. thats a pretty good savings, most of us paid 300 for ftx global,vector,pilots mesh and europe open lc combined.the airbus's are also great products, and i also cant say enough for pmdg products either,good luck with your choices.